Art and Photography

What is wrong with my new Canon Powershot camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 5:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1951 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto

What is wrong with my new Canon Powershot camera?

So will be going on a cruise in a few weeks so we decided to get a new camera. For the last 5 years, I have had a Sony CyberShot which was an excellent camera but it had sustained lots of damage and it was time to replace it.

I did my research and narrowed it down to a few models. In the end, we went with Canon Powershot SX420, with 42x zoom and 20 MP. Reviews were pretty good.

I hate buying things online, especially something like a camera. So I tried BestBuy first and strangely enough, they had already ran out of this model even though it had gone on sale just the day earlier. No other nearby stores had it.

So I checked Amazon.ca and they had a very good deal going on. So I bought it and got it last week.

Man, to say I am disappointed with the picture quality (and the camera itself overall) is a massive understatement. So much so that I am thinking there is a defect with it or something. Heck even the LCD display is not clear or crisp. And when I upload the pictures to my computer or iPhone, they look like they were taken with an old and basic camera.

And it is not even about whether I am using the right settings or mode for the picture. I am taking simple pictures where the 'Auto' mode is enough. I even showed the pictures to other family members and they too agreed that a camera by Canon with such specs should do a lot better. Needless to say I have emailed Amazon (third party seller store) to return this crap.

My question to you guys, could a camera be damaged to cause it to produce such low quality pictures. I don't think it was damaged during packaging or transport as it looks perfect with no scratches. But are there other parts that could be defective from the start that cause it to take pictures of such low quality despite its high specs?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
53 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1951 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Kinda off topic but this experience reaffirms why I hate shopping for such items online.

First thing, if you want to return it, you can't just go back to the store to return it. You have to wait for a label, go to a post office, mail it and then wait for it to arrive and then another few days to get your money back.

Then there is the issue of customer service. of this was bought from BestBuy (sadly there are no other big electronic store left) or another camera store. With online purchasing, there is no one I can talk to and show them why I am not happy with the camera etc.

I know in the minority in this as majority of people like to buy things online. But it is just not for me. The experience is frustrating. The only exception being books
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
Why is anyone even looking at Cybershot and Powershot cameras in 2017? At minimum you should be looking at 1" or 4/3" sensors.

With that 1/2.3" powershot you should expect picture quality similar to smartphones.

Try older RX100 or something and see what bigger sensors can do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1951 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
hiddenthread wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:02 am
Why is anyone even looking at Cybershot and Powershot cameras in 2017? At minimum you should be looking at 1" or 4/3" sensors.

With that 1/2.3" powershot you should expect picture quality similar to smartphones.

Try older RX100 or something and see what bigger sensors can do.
Thanks a lot for the reply! Funny you talk about sensor size, I literally was just reading about it too, as I had no clue about its important and may be the reason why image quality is poor depote its boasting all these pixels and zoom.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6636 posts
926 upvotes
This is why rfders like to PM at bb with online stores.

Like it was mentioned, is hard to get a good results from a small sensor but may be the compression is set high on the jpg or resolution is set too low ??

Probably helps if you could upload a sample shot so we can read the exif.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3598 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
You probably got a defective one. I bought a new Nikon D5500 DLDR and it was defective right out of the box. On Auto, A and P modes, all the pictures come out black and I get a shutter release error on the LCD. Even with the flash on, the pictures come out black. On other modes, it works perfectly fine. Mine has been back to Nikon in Mississauga for warranty 3 times in 1.5 months and I still haven't got I back yet. I don't think they know how to fix it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7141 posts
429 upvotes
I have been researching and yes image sensor is important.

The funny thing is I took our my older cameras with 5MP and 7MP respectively and took pictures of the same setting/lighting and with my iphone 6 and the iphone 6 blew them both away. It was insane how much difference there was.

But I assume iphone 6 has the same image sensor as the other cameras though so is it just MP count or something else?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2107 posts
792 upvotes
GTA
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 7:38 am
I have been researching and yes image sensor is important.

The funny thing is I took our my older cameras with 5MP and 7MP respectively and took pictures of the same setting/lighting and with my iphone 6 and the iphone 6 blew them both away. It was insane how much difference there was.

But I assume iphone 6 has the same image sensor as the other cameras though so is it just MP count or something else?
I'm not an expert but there are a lot of factors effecting picture quality: sensor size, lens quality, number of pixels, size of the pixels, image processing, possible picture blur and on and on...

OP: you may want to consider a new or lightly used DSLR or mirrorless camera either purchased from a store (open box from BestBuy or Henrys or other) or something from Kijiji. A friend recently purchased a used mirrorless camera with lens from Kijiji. It was "like new" with box and all accessories and had a shutter count less than 150 - and it takes fantastic pictures.

There is a reason professionals use professional grade DSLR's...part of it is their reliability and available accessories and lenses - another part is the picture quality they produce.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7141 posts
429 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:04 am
I'm not an expert but there are a lot of factors effecting picture quality: sensor size, lens quality, number of pixels, size of the pixels, image processing, possible picture blur and on and on...

OP: you may want to consider a new or lightly used DSLR or mirrorless camera either purchased from a store (open box from BestBuy or Henrys or other) or something from Kijiji. A friend recently purchased a used mirrorless camera with lens from Kijiji. It was "like new" with box and all accessories and had a shutter count less than 150 - and it takes fantastic pictures.

There is a reason professionals use professional grade DSLR's...part of it is their reliability and available accessories and lenses - another part is the picture quality they produce.
I am looking for a travel camera - light weight and small enough to use that produces better pics than the iphone 6 or google pixel we own.

I assume the thing that usually separates these from a camera is zoom in general?

What recommendations are there for those who want to spend less than say $500? I'm having a hard time finding something...
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:12 am
I am looking for a travel camera - light weight and small enough to use that produces better pics than the iphone 6 or google pixel we own.

I assume the thing that usually separates these from a camera is zoom in general?

What recommendations are there for those who want to spend less than say $500? I'm having a hard time finding something...
For home, just flip through flyers and get any mirrorless on sale that has future. Safest bets are Sony, Fuji and Panasonic/Olympus ones. You can also get high performance point and shoot but I find those are even more expensive than interchangeable lens cameras. You will likely find more deals in DSLR if size/weight isn't important. 2-3 year old model is not a problem so don't be afraid to go there.

For paid gig, this is different story and lot of times DSLR is still the more cost effective option.
Last edited by hiddenthread on Aug 8th, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2107 posts
792 upvotes
GTA
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:12 am

Did a quick search and found that BestBuy has open box Sony A5000 with 16-50 lens for $430 with free shipping. This is just one quick example but this camera is small, light and seems to get good reviews and has a 20.1 MP APS-C sensor. You may not be satisfied with just a 16-50 lens depending on the type of pictures you are interested in taking.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3598 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
Take a look at the Nikon D3400. It's about the same size as the Nikon D5500 we have. Even though we have a bad one, we actually have 2 of these and the other one works perfectly fine. These camera bodies are tiny and really light. Perfect for travelling and the reason why we bought them. It's only slightly more than $500 but better than any P&S camera. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?la ... u=10481659
Last edited by jackrabbit000 on Aug 8th, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
Sony A5000
Nikon D3300/D3400

Both good choices. I don't follow much about Fuji (more expensive lens, smaller market) or Pana/Olympus (smaller sensor). Nothing good on Canone for $500 range. Also look at Pentax DSLRs as they generally provide better bang for the buck.

I wouldn't call any DSLR tiny especially since mirrorless is out. You can't put it into pocket when you are going for dinner. You will need a camera bag that will have to follow you everywhere.
Last edited by hiddenthread on Aug 8th, 2017 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3598 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
Comparing the D3400/D5500 to the more expensive D610/750 series or the full frame camera bodies for example, they are tiny.
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 9:01 am
Comparing the D3400/D5500 to the more expensive D610/750 series or the full frame camera bodies for example, they are tiny.
We are talking $500 Home use camera.