Art and Photography

What is wrong with my new Canon Powershot camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 5:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7506 posts
543 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:46 am
Did a quick search and found that BestBuy has open box Sony A5000 with 16-50 lens for $430 with free shipping. This is just one quick example but this camera is small, light and seems to get good reviews and has a 20.1 MP APS-C sensor. You may not be satisfied with just a 16-50 lens depending on the type of pictures you are interested in taking.
I have never use a mirrorless camera, let alone anything beyond P&S and Auto lol. Although I am willing to learn a bit, this is mainly to just improve the quality of my photographs while traveling and having optical zoom instead of the camera phones.

I am weary about extra pieces/parts like lens and other things.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1433 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto, ON
And this camera uses CCD sensor which makes it worse in majority of indoor lighting shots. Most modern phone will produce better IQ than this camera.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:15 am
I have never use a mirrorless camera, let alone anything beyond P&S and Auto lol. Although I am willing to learn a bit, this is mainly to just improve the quality of my photographs while traveling and having optical zoom instead of the camera phones.

Big sensor P&S will do but those are not cheap. It's a niche market. (as an extreme example: Sony RX1R is a full frame P&S for $3000-4300) Sony lists RX100 1" at $569.99 but I don't know who actually has in stock at not-inflated price.

As a result you got choice of either using smartphone or mirrorless/dslr, but nothing in between. Even if you only use auto you will get better picture out of bigger sensors. You will keep lens for a long time, longer than camera body. Only downside is even smallest lens+body is not gonna be as compact as P&S.
Last edited by hiddenthread on Aug 8th, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1951 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
traderjay wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:35 am
And this camera uses CCD sensor which makes it worse in majority of indoor lighting shots. Most modern phone will produce better IQ than this camera.
You are talking the camera I bought?

So I shouod stay away from 2/3 1?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:02 am

Whether is CCD or CMOS, 1/2.3" size should be the first flag. That is same as what's in Smartphone.

You want biggest sensor in reasonably sized package. A5000/A5100 is prime example of that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1951 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
The other bad thing about this camera is the flash: I have to manually open it everytime I need to use it. Never had this with my previous two cameras.

And the WiFi function? Keeps failing and rarely works?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1433 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:02 am

Here are some good info and comparison - http://photoseek.com/2013/compare-digit ... inch-type/

I would go for at least one inch and above or else your phone is the better choice.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:13 am
The other bad thing about this camera is the flash: I have to manually open it everytime I need to use it. Never had this with my previous two cameras.

And the WiFi function? Keeps failing and rarely works?
I'm not sure why it's not auto popping up. As long as you are in full auto mode, and it detects light is not enough, it should. The camera may have bias towards non-flash photos to make picture look better (because flash on camera is never good; you only get deer in the headlight look).

If you can return, I would suggest doing so but then I don't have answer if you need long range zoom on upcoming trip. You can get A5000 for under $500, but that will only go up to 3.125x. A cheap long range zoom will be $250 or $300 on top of that.

At around $500 ($550 tops), it will be soft zoomed in image at best so I don't think having 40x or 60x is going to get "wow" photos. You take more photos wide than zoomed in; this is the case for pretty much anybody who uses it on trips. So if I had to give up on one aspect, it would be zoom range.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2195 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:15 am

There are many factors necessary for a camera to take "good quality|" pictures. The sensor, lens and software are some of those things. It is very difficult to manufacture a single lens that is good at ultra wide angle for scenery and also can do decent telephoto. Most are heavy compromises or are very, very expensive. That is why DSLR's and Mirrorless cameras have removable lenses.

You may be best served by a decent "bridge camera" - one that has decent quality but does not have a removable lens and has a generous zoom range. I have a DSLR and no real knowledge about bridge cameras....maybe someone else can provide a good recommendation.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:31 am
There are many factors necessary for a camera to take "good quality|" pictures. The sensor, lens and software are some of those things. It is very difficult to manufacture a single lens that is good at ultra wide angle for scenery and also can do decent telephoto. Most are heavy compromises or are very, very expensive. That is why DSLR's and Mirrorless cameras have removable lenses.

You may be best served by a decent "bridge camera" - one that has decent quality but does not have a removable lens and has a generous zoom range. I have a DSLR and no real knowledge about bridge cameras....maybe someone else can provide a good recommendation.
I would love one as a going out camera but they are incredibly expensive for what you get. Original Sony RX100 is over $550 and RX100 V is like $1200. I don't know who else make a bridge camera at a reasonable price (+/- $500?).

For the OP, if you are referring to poor IQ especially when zoomed in, that is normal. The lens is rated at f/6.6 when zoomed in. It will probably push ISO to 3200 or 6400 with lots of noise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1951 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
hiddenthread wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:07 am
Whether is CCD or CMOS, 1/2.3" size should be the first flag. That is same as what's in Smartphone.

You want biggest sensor in reasonably sized package. A5000/A5100 is prime example of that.

Thanks, the A5000 looks like a nice camera but it is like $200 over budget. But considering this will be my camera for the best 5 years or more, maybe I should just pay the extra money for it. But if there is something similar but at a lower price, I would look into it.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2195 posts
820 upvotes
GTA
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:48 am
Thanks, the A5000 looks like a nice camera but it is like $200 over budget. But considering this will be my camera for the best 5 years or more, maybe I should just pay the extra money for it. But if there is something similar but at a lower price, I would look into it.
You can get an "Open Box" A5000 from BestBuy for $430 plus tax or there is always Kijiji if you want to keep the price down. There are sometimes good deals in the used market from people who buy the camera (or get as a gift) and then find that they just aren't using them. Here is a link to BestBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/son ... 00993.aspx?
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
200 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
IDK if this helps but I buy cheaper phones (<$300) and shift money towards camera. Because even $1000 phone is limited by physics, there is little point pouring money into them for photos. One way to make sense of how to get better pictures without spending gazillion dollars.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1433 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Woodbridge905 wrote:
It really depends on how much you value the memories captured by the camera. I shot with Canon full frame DSLR back in 2008 and ditched it for a while for smartphone camera (Iphone 6, Note 4 etc), thinking in daylight situations the advancement in sensor and processing should make up for it. The weight saving is great and captured lots of images from trips and my first boy. Fast forward when I want to print some of the photos, I realized all the images captured on the phone is utter gargbage upon closer inspection, lifeless color, high noise, soft details etc. I became extremely angry and decided that the laziness is simply not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7506 posts
543 upvotes
Thanks for this info. I think for the upcoming trip, we will test out Google Pixel and see how acceptable they are. We are not really looking to do big prints but we do photo books (usually 8x8) books and would like improved quality as when I look back at my older books, the quality is terrible because they were taken on older phones or cameras and the settings were either awful or the lighting was not great to produce quality pictures.

Otherwise, it may just be a good case to splurge on a $500+ 1 in sensor like Sony RX100 or something.

I'm not huge on functionality and manual settings, I'm more of better detail in lighting conditions and the ability to take decent pictures while traveling. If the camera is rally compact friendly I may just use it regularly as well or when I know there may be some photo ops when out and about as well.