Art and Photography

What is wrong with my new Canon Powershot camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 5:34 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1251 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The RX100 in auto mode will blow away any camera phone because of optics and larger sensor size. ALL smartphone camera photos look great but then moment you start to zoom in the image quality start to fall apart. This is true even for outdoor shots with perfect lighting. Packing that much pixels in a small sensor automatically degrades the final image quality.
i7-3970x | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 | Triple NEC PA301W
FreeNAS & Plex Server Intel XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ1
Interactive Brokers | Virtual Brokers
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6981 posts
400 upvotes
I have a friend with the Sony RX100, maybe I'll ask to play around with it as well.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11309 posts
982 upvotes
Kanata
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:52 pm
I have a friend with the Sony RX100, maybe I'll ask to play around with it as well.
I own the RX100 III and it's way better than any phone camera i've used, especially with lower light shots. It's not even a comparison, imo, between what you can produce handheld with the RX100 and what the phone can produce in low lighting. Great vacation camera.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2065 posts
774 upvotes
GTA
traderjay wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 12:29 pm
It really depends on how much you value the memories captured by the camera. I shot with Canon full frame DSLR back in 2008 and ditched it for a while for smartphone camera (Iphone 6, Note 4 etc), thinking in daylight situations the advancement in sensor and processing should make up for it. The weight saving is great and captured lots of images from trips and my first boy. Fast forward when I want to print some of the photos, I realized all the images captured on the phone is utter gargbage upon closer inspection, lifeless color, high noise, soft details etc. I became extremely angry and decided that the laziness is simply not worth it.
I think you have hit the nail on the head!!

Many people I know are quite happy with their camera phones at first. They are great for quick photos and look great when attached to a text or put on social media. Then a once in a lifetime trip or event comes and it's time for some prints and enlargements and the results are almost always a let down. A decent camera will always win out when it comes to quality!
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Jun 13, 2017
212 posts
193 upvotes
Out of curiosity, I found RAW files from Pixel XL and imported to lightroom. I only changed Highlights to low and Shadows to high, with appropriate whites and blacks. Crazy noise everywhere in shaded areas even in middle of the day. Normal noise reduction wont' fix it; it needs to be brushed manually in those areas.

This is from 10 year old Canon APS-C camera. Shadow+100 Highlights-100. There is no funny noise in the shadows.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9336 posts
3518 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 12:53 am
So will be going on a cruise in a few weeks so we decided to get a new camera...
On our last cruise, I brought a Zhiyun gimbal to use with my smartphone. The 4K video is more memorable than any pics I took with my Canon 5DIV. Because it's on YouTube, our family can watch it or we can show friends anytime.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1251 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AncasterRFD wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 3:58 pm
On our last cruise, I brought a Zhiyun gimbal to use with my smartphone. The 4K video is more memorable than any pics I took with my Canon 5DIV. Because it's on YouTube, our family can watch it or we can show friends anytime.
The instant sharing aspect of smartphone is hard to beat hence its popularity. But if it is going to be a once in a lifetime or special trip, I still want to bring the DSLR along to capture the best possible images :) It will take a bit longer to get footage from the 5D IV on youtube for sure but once the light dims our smartphone video quality starts to fall apart!
i7-3970x | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 | Triple NEC PA301W
FreeNAS & Plex Server Intel XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ1
Interactive Brokers | Virtual Brokers
Jun 13, 2017
212 posts
193 upvotes
If you instagramify it, nobody be would be able to tell Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I'd suggest mirrorless for travels. I enjoy shooting DSLR around town, but that's because I can drive in a car so weight carrying is minimized. DSLR does have advantage in ergonomics and ability to quickly change settings instead of menu hunting.

Pixel XL, HDR+. Same conclusion as RAW in shadows.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9336 posts
3518 upvotes
Southern Ontario
traderjay wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 4:05 pm
The instant sharing aspect of smartphone is hard to beat hence its popularity. But if it is going to be a once in a lifetime or special trip, I still want to bring the DSLR along to capture the best possible images :) It will take a bit longer to get footage from the 5D IV on youtube for sure but once the light dims our smartphone video quality starts to fall apart!
I mentioned it because OP is going on a cruise. For us at least, this beats reliving it than any series of pictures, iPhone 7 Plus 4K edited in iMovie (on the phone too):

I wouldn't use my Canon for vacation video (just pics), if I did I'd have to bring my Zhiyun Crane and the setup is way too big. At best, I'd use a RX100. But my phone is usually always with me on vacation and the gimbal in a backpack on excursions. Most of the footage I want is in good light.
Jun 13, 2017
212 posts
193 upvotes
I'm waiting for price and weight drop on gimbals...

Fosi Tech FC1-45 looks promising. Half the weight of Zhiyun at same battery life. Also they modified arm design so it doesn't block screen. As long as gyro function works well, it is on my short list.

Anyone doing video, those motorized gimbals are nice.... but get a good camera first Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10313 posts
1510 upvotes
Ottawa
My vacationing has been limited lately but on our next once in a lifetime vacation, I definitely want to go with a gimbal + FDR-X3000 or RX100 for video.

I haven't done the research about all the different gimbals but some of them still require too much care and feeding to operate and carry,
Jun 13, 2017
212 posts
193 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 6:26 pm
My vacationing has been limited lately but on our next once in a lifetime vacation, I definitely want to go with a gimbal + FDR-X3000 or RX100 for video.

I haven't done the research about all the different gimbals but some of them still require too much care and feeding to operate and carry,
Apparently the Zhiyun-M needs disassembly everytime you put it away, then rebalancing. I need something that I can quickly stuff into backpack and use it again. Hopefully they will release updated version that addresses those issues. Also I hear it's too heavy for all day walkaround use hence interested in Fosi Tech one.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2573 posts
261 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 12:53 am

Man, to say I am disappointed with the picture quality (and the camera itself overall) is a massive understatement. So much so that I am thinking there is a defect with it or something. Heck even the LCD display is not clear or crisp. And when I upload the pictures to my computer or iPhone, they look like they were taken with an old and basic camera.
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:13 am
And the WiFi function? Keeps failing and rarely works?
Are you using wifi to send the photos to your computer or iphone? How are you getting the photos onto your iphone?

If you are using wifi, some camera manufacturers don't send a high rez copy of the photo over wifi so you may want to try the SD card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6467 posts
878 upvotes
On my Sony I was having the same problem until I discovered that I could fix the low res. in the settings to send the full resolution via wifi, just takes much longer when I do.
poorwingman wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 7:04 pm
Are you using wifi to send the photos to your computer or iphone? How are you getting the photos onto your iphone?

If you are using wifi, some camera manufacturers don't send a high rez copy of the photo over wifi so you may want to try the SD card.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3104 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:12 am
I am looking for a travel camera - light weight and small enough to use that produces better pics than the iphone 6 or google pixel we own.

I assume the thing that usually separates these from a camera is zoom in general?

What recommendations are there for those who want to spend less than say $500? I'm having a hard time finding something...
Are you looking for an interchangeable lens camera or more of a point and shoot? If p&s, consider the Fuji XP120 for about $200, which has a 16mp sensor, 5x optical zoom and is waterproof and shockproof. Photo quality might be better (you'll at least be able to change aperture and shutterspeed settings) and Fuji cameras produce great jpgs.

I had an old XP50 and was very pleased with results
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE