Page 1 of 1

What is wrong with my thermostat?

Posted: Apr 4th, 2007 5:09 pm
by Azxster
I was taking a nap, woke up cause it was so hot. Checked the thermostat and it was set to 31C, at a temperature of 27C. I swear no one adjusted it since I was home alone. Is there something wrong with my Carrier thermostat?

Re: What is wrong with my thermostat?

Posted: Apr 4th, 2007 8:55 pm
by sunnybono
Now that I have re-read your note, if the temp in the house is a lot higher than what its calling for, then 9 times out of 10 it will be your tstat is faulty. You should seriously have it checked out as you furnace can overheat. There should be some limits built in your furnace for when things like this happen, usually called a highlimit, but depending if that is functioning properly is another thing. I would suggest you go to HD and get the Honeywell 8000. Its a touchpad tstat that is rated at 0.5 degree accurate....

sk

Posted: Apr 5th, 2007 8:15 am
by Pete_Coach
Azxster wrote:
Apr 4th, 2007 9:09 pm
I was taking a nap, woke up cause it was so hot. Checked the thermostat and it was set to 31C, at a temperature of 27C. I swear no one adjusted it since I was home alone. Is there something wrong with my Carrier thermostat?
I am a bit unsure of what you are saying. The temp was set for 31c and it was 27c when you woke up or it was 31c when you woke up but was set for 27c (which is pretty warm as well).
If your thermostat is an older one with a mercury switch, it has to be leveled so that the bi-metallic strip will expand properly and the mercury switch will disconnect and shut the furnace off.
See http://www.hometips.com/cs-protected/gu ... stats.html

Posted: Apr 5th, 2007 11:16 am
by jm1
Azxster has to clarify their question. I think they mean that it was set to 31, actual temp was 27, BUT they didn't mean to set it at 31 and they're wondering how it got set to 31?

Is that your correct question? What kind of themostat is it? Manual or electronic?

Posted: Apr 5th, 2007 11:07 pm
by Azxster
Sorry for the unclear question.

I have an electronic Carrrier thermostat that should be 3 years old. I set the thermostat to 21, went to take a nap, woke up and found the thermostat set to 31, with an actual reading of 27 (furnace still on to heat to 31). Today, the same thing happened, I walked by and I saw the display on the thermostat light up. It magically set to 31 again.

What is going on? I hope this does not happen when I am away from home.

Posted: Apr 5th, 2007 11:33 pm
by Frankie3s
Azxster wrote:
Apr 6th, 2007 3:07 am
Sorry for the unclear question.

I have an electronic Carrrier thermostat that should be 3 years old. I set the thermostat to 21, went to take a nap, woke up and found the thermostat set to 31, with an actual reading of 27 (furnace still on to heat to 31). Today, the same thing happened, I walked by and I saw the display on the thermostat light up. It magically set to 31 again.

What is going on? I hope this does not happen when I am away from home.
Ghost?

Posted: Apr 5th, 2007 11:37 pm
by jm1
Check the programmed temp. settings. With my Honeywell thermostat, if you change the setting temporarily, it will override the programmed setting, but only until the next programmed time. For example, if I had it programmed for 16 degrees at noon, and programmed to 21 degrees at 5 PM, then changed the setting temporarily at 2PM, it will ignore the temporary setting when it reaches the next programmed time at 5 PM.

Maybe someone messed around with your programming and set it to 31 degrees at certain times.

Posted: Apr 6th, 2007 9:10 am
by Pete_Coach
I have actually had occurrences where my electronic thermostat went a bit wonky as well, temp fluctuation and improper on/off times was one of the problems. It was because the battery was dying. I changed the battery and had to re-program and problem went away.

Posted: Apr 6th, 2007 11:26 am
by Azxster
jm1 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2007 3:37 am
Check the programmed temp. settings. With my Honeywell thermostat, if you change the setting temporarily, it will override the programmed setting, but only until the next programmed time. For example, if I had it programmed for 16 degrees at noon, and programmed to 21 degrees at 5 PM, then changed the setting temporarily at 2PM, it will ignore the temporary setting when it reaches the next programmed time at 5 PM.

Maybe someone messed around with your programming and set it to 31 degrees at certain times.
Nope, I checked, it was set for 20. It could be a ghost...

I think I'll try the battery. Thanks!