• Feb 3rd, 2008 1:38 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
I really enjoyed your blog ;)

[quote="caribou" post_id="5173542" time="1180972959" user_id="24466"]I have an 8
*We are all immigrants here, unless you're Aboriginal of course .....Check your ancestors passport for place of birth if you don't believe me*
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
bump
*We are all immigrants here, unless you're Aboriginal of course .....Check your ancestors passport for place of birth if you don't believe me*
Aug 8, 2007
291 posts
St. Catharines
Last year was the first year for a veggie garden. Had a hard time with rabbits and my peas and beans, this year I will put up a little fence to keep them out.

So this year, in my 8x12 little garden:
- more sugar snap peas, by the time they go growing this summer they hada hard time with the heat, but I enjoyed the few I got.
- less beans. I like them, but I don't need that many plants (and the bean beatles got them, and that sucked)
- more cucumbers. Four plants didn't give me much yeild. Might try growing them on trellises
- lots of peppers. I don't like green peppers, but ripe ones, and different varieties are great. These have a seperate pepper patch around the house.
- carrots
- beets
- spinich
- romain lettuce
- red onion. Need to get on this early this year and the the bulbs in on time. Last year I could find them.
- Multipilier onions. If the ones suvive that I pulled up last year. Did have the time to make a onion patch and get them back in the ground this fall.
- I would like to try brocli and zucini this year

Besides the fence I also plan to add a fair bit more compost and make the soil better. I also hope for a lot more rain this summer. I'm looking forward to the spring, this is our first house and I really enjoyed gardening last year.
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
I just invested in growlights and a shelving unit, to start my seeds in the basement early, and then move them outside

Here is what I purchased

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... G_3321.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... G_3322.jpg[/IMG]

Setup

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... G_3325.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ ... G_3326.jpg[/IMG]

You can see the sunshine flourescent I purchased ( 4 ft ). Basically am just going to be starting seeds and giving plants a boost
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1196 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
i grew hot peppers this year, however now i have a ton of them and want something different. I think i am going to go with some bell peppers this year.

Orange, yellow and red. Also instead of my strawberry plants(which sucked) i might go for some carrots.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
my mom grows the usual: cucumbers, lettuce, herbs (mint and purple basil mostly), red chilli pepper, pumpkins, tomatoes, some vietnamese vegetables (i have no idea what they are), a plum tree and pear tree and this

Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
Interesting stuff
Aug 8, 2007
291 posts
St. Catharines
Glas - how much/where did you purchase the lights. We are very temped to get some lights ourselves and at least try growing the peppers from seed, but the ones at a place like Lee Valley are too much for us!

I think we'd use a smaller set up than you have.
May 24, 2005
80 posts
glaswegian wrote: I just invested in growlights and a shelving unit, to start my seeds in the basement early, and then move them outside.
I have the same setup in my livingroom and it is EXCELLENT for starting plants from seed. Here's mine. I'm going to try a set of GE Plant and Aquarium Wide Spectrum fluorescent lights this time around, based on what I read here. I found the bulbs at Canadian Tire for $4.99 each.

I still have to go over what I'm going to plant this season, maybe try some new, obscure stuff. I'm getting pretty excited about spring!
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
The ballasts were $13.95 each with space for double bulbs, and the bulbs ( full spectrum ) were just under $5 each for the phillips brand.

granite_grrl wrote: Glas - how much/where did you purchase the lights. We are very temped to get some lights ourselves and at least try growing the peppers from seed, but the ones at a place like Lee Valley are too much for us!

I think we'd use a smaller set up than you have.
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
Yep...the setup shelve is the same, but I got it cheaper at Lowes. I am going to have get those GE wide spectrum lights.

Got any left over veggie or herb seeds to share???

caribou wrote: I have the same setup in my livingroom and it is EXCELLENT for starting plants from seed. Here's mine. I'm going to try a set of GE Plant and Aquarium Wide Spectrum fluorescent lights this time around, based on what I read here. I found the bulbs at Canadian Tire for $4.99 each.

I still have to go over what I'm going to plant this season, maybe try some new, obscure stuff. I'm getting pretty excited about spring!
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
*bump*

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)