Food & Drink

What are you favorite under $20 wines at the LCBO?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 10:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1029 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto

What are you favorite under $20 wines at the LCBO?

Ok RFD needs this thread. I often find myself at the LCBO and lost when it comes to wine as I am a primarily a beer drinker.
I will be doing a wine run this week and I would like to know of some good under $20 wines at the LCBO.
If you do list your favorite wines please list the country of origin first to make it easier for us who go browsing the LCBO.
I am by no means a wine connoisseur and I don't care about what a wine pairs with personally. I'm just an average Joe who buys cheap wine and for those of you in a similar situation, this thread is for you.
I will start by listing some of my favorites.

Australia - Yellow Tail Cabernet Sauvignon (red label) - $12.00 I always keep a few of these on the wine shelf, cheap and excellent, a staple in our home.
Italy - Zenato Veneto Rosso - Usually about $13.50 and everyone I introduce it to loves it.
Australia - Red Knot Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz - $17.80 because of the higher price, I buy it when it goes on sale, it's an amazing wine, just try it.
California - Cupcake Red Velvet - 15.95 and well worth the price. Always keep a bottle or two in the shelf.
California - Woodbridge By Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon - $13.75 - Another staple on the wine rack, I use it a lot to cook with.
10 replies
Jul 7, 2017
58 posts
10 upvotes
Pelee Island Chardonnay was perfectly delicious. Bought it in Ottawa, tried it later and couldn't find more bottles until Kenora on our way to B.C.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2668 posts
105 upvotes
I would suggest to go beyond what is stocked in the LCBO regular section, if your LCBO has a 'Vintages' section and try some of those wines there.
Vintages releases new offerings every 2 weeks, of course there are many wines released that are $$$$, but there are some that are under $20 and very interesting. Unfortunately, once they are sold out, they are gone. But that is the fun of it, trying new releases to see what you like.

Like this one for $19.99: http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/chatea ... iVZQjdOnD4
A nice 2015 Bordeaux from St. Emilion region.

This is the release from Nov 25: http://www.vintages.com/circular/171125 ... age-1.html

The next release is Dec 9.

Good way to explore and grow your wine palette
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1184 posts
207 upvotes
The wife lives and dies by Oyster Bay, I believe it's a Sauve Blanc, it's about $18.
Alex