156 posts
34 upvotes
Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell
A must read in my opinion to get a feel of market dynamics
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1324 posts
617 upvotes
About to listen to audiobook "Algorithmic Trading" by Edward Leshik.

I suspect this is going to be about charting and TA. I think I borrowed the paper version. I had it out for 1 day and returned it to the library.

update: NVM, it's only a softcopy of the book. It's going back now.
Last edited by MrMom on Jun 14th, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
MrMom wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 9:36 am
Listening to audiobook, "How Not To Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking" by Jordan Ellenberg
How is it? It was mentioned in a blog post I recently read -

Should Fail Better
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1324 posts
617 upvotes
I enjoyed listening to it. I might not have enjoyed reading it though. It's definitely not for everyone, but I recommend it and would listen to it again. It may be eye opening to some people. I read somewhere you access to had Overdrive, so give it a test drive
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
MrMom wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:08 am
I enjoyed listening to it. I might not have enjoyed reading it though. It's definitely not for everyone, but I recommend it and would listen to it again. It may be eye opening to some people. I read somewhere you access to had Overdrive, so give it a test drive
I put a hold on it, we'll see how it goes!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44908 posts
11570 upvotes
Bitcoin Unleashed: Discover the Cryptocurrency of the Future (A Guide to Mining, Investing and Trading)

lolz
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
treva84 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:20 am
Enigma of Reason didn't catch my attention and I found it too academic, so onto the next one.

Next up: The Inner Game of Tennis
Summary:
- Our self critical minds often sabotage our capabilities
- The harder we try and the more we force it the worse we do
- Optimum performance comes from turning off the judgement and negative self talk and being in a state of "relaxed concentration"

Next up: Fooling Some People All Of The Time
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

- on the importance of admitting mistakes and documenting thoughts to avoid cognitive distortions

"When it comes to investing, answering the question, “Can I trust the Process?” is very hard. Sometimes the process will not work over long periods, which can make trusting the process even harder...In general, the best solution is probably to assess the information in a calm setting, come to a conclusion about an approach, and then sit back and “trust the process.”"
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1771 posts
271 upvotes
Anyone found time to read anything on here? Jeez, still stuck on the same chapter from last month. So busy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
rapashoo wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 8:33 am
Anyone found time to read anything on here? Jeez, still stuck on the same chapter from last month. So busy.
For books I try to read 30 min per night. I can do this generally 4-5 nights / week. I try to work it into my routine - generally it's the second last thing I do before turning the light off and going to sleep.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
treva84 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 8:30 am

Next up: Fooling Some People All Of The Time
Summary:
- Companies and government regulators do not always act in an investors best interest - it is important one thinks critically and independently
- Management really matters
- Irrationality and fraud can persist for many years, despite evidence to the contrary
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Some things are immeasurably important. They’re either impossible, or elusive, to quantify. But they can make all the difference in the world, often because their lack of quantification causes people to discount their relevance, or even deny their existence...Gathering information is a science. Filtering out noise is an art.

Next book: What I Learned Losing A Million Dollars
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2300 posts
968 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
treva84 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:52 am

Next book: What I Learned Losing A Million Dollars
Was a meh book

Summary:
- Ego can often convince you that you were right when you were lucky
- We attach personal values to positions and often want to be right rather than make money (i.e. prophet motive instead of profit motive)
- It's important to have a plan with clear exit strategies prior to initiating a position

Next book - The 5 Mistakes Every Investor Makes and How to Avoid Them -