Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 18, 2015
271 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto, ON

What is your go-to hot pot place?

Looking for some good suggestions - hot pot season is almost here!
155 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3966 posts
303 upvotes
I find Vietnamese hotpot to be superior personally, people should give it a try. Its not ayce style/price though, I find it has a better heat (spiciness) & the seafood tastes fresher (not frozen). Too bad so few Viet restaurants sell it, my Chinese friends that I've taken, many of them are now converts & love Viet seafood hotpot. 2522 Jane Street (Sheppard W), Pho Cuu Long Mien Tay. They also have arguably the best chicken wings in all of Toronto (seriously, its that good) but the bad thing is they're always crazy busy. Best to go off peak hours
[OP]
Nov 18, 2015
271 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HP_John wrote:
Nov 27th, 2015 8:03 pm
I find Vietnamese hotpot to be superior personally, people should give it a try. Its not ayce style/price though, I find it has a better heat (spiciness) & the seafood tastes fresher (not frozen). Too bad so few Viet restaurants sell it, my Chinese friends that I've taken, many of them are now converts & love Viet seafood hotpot. 2522 Jane Street (Sheppard W), Pho Cuu Long Mien Tay. They also have arguably the best chicken wings in all of Toronto (seriously, its that good) but the bad thing is they're always crazy busy. Best to go off peak hours
nice, i'm intrigued - is the broth similar to a pho broth?
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote:
Nov 27th, 2015 8:03 pm
That place was once great, now its considered overpriced and standards have fallen. Use to go to be a regular customer on St.Clair location *they sold the original location to new owners and condensed the menu down, but still kept the 7 kinds of beef / hotpot* They use to include tax and the prices were reasonable since the portions were pretty small. *usually I would have to order 2 entree's of rice dish to be full*

The only good thing about their HotPot was that the items were nice and fresh *veggies/ frozen seafood*. Honestly its not as fulfilling for me and a couple of friends.

Broth is a spicey kinda sour tasting, its good, some people find it too spicey but it depends on the person.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3966 posts
303 upvotes
95thRifles wrote:
Nov 28th, 2015 6:49 pm
That place was once great, now its considered overpriced and standards have fallen. Use to go to be a regular customer on St.Clair location *they sold the original location to new owners and condensed the menu down, but still kept the 7 kinds of beef / hotpot* They use to include tax and the prices were reasonable since the portions were pretty small. *usually I would have to order 2 entree's of rice dish to be full*

The only good thing about their HotPot was that the items were nice and fresh *veggies/ frozen seafood*. Honestly its not as fulfilling for me and a couple of friends.

Broth is a spicey kinda sour tasting, its good, some people find it too spicey but it depends on the person.
Its 1 of the few places to get Viet hotpot in the city (to be honest I can't think of another Viet resto in the city off the top of my head that has hotpot, other than Karaoke bars), most Viet restos do not sell hotpot. I consider Viet hotpot to be better than Chinese, for my tastebuds. Granted I'm mostly Viet, but even my Chinese friends that have tried, now prefer it. Those Chinese hotpot places, I find something off about the soup comparatively, & everything is frozen there.

I don't really care much about their prices, I don't find it expensive at all.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
The best Hot Pot (AYCE) just has to be Celebrity Hot Pot @ Spadina & Dundas.
They never disappoint and they don't charge extra for broth.
I also like how they include complimentary Soy milk, Honey Green tea and Plum juice at no extra charge. ($19.50 plus tax base price :arrow: https://www.zomato.com/toronto/celebrit ... enu#tabtop )

***Note: There is a brand new place that just recently opened up close by on Spadina, but I forget the name, and I have not checked it out yet.
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote:
Nov 28th, 2015 8:10 pm
Its 1 of the few places to get Viet hotpot in the city (to be honest I can't think of another Viet resto in the city off the top of my head that has hotpot, other than Karaoke bars), most Viet restos do not sell hotpot. I consider Viet hotpot to be better than Chinese, for my tastebuds. Granted I'm mostly Viet, but even my Chinese friends that have tried, now prefer it. Those Chinese hotpot places, I find something off about the soup comparatively, & everything is frozen there.

I don't really care much about their prices, I don't find it expensive at all.
The Lau seafood is all frozen, the squid, fish and shrimp. The soup base is a concentrated version of the Canh Chua (sweet and sour soap) which gets diluted by the items you put into the pot. The viet version is meant more for an experience and for people to enjoy, not something you would eat and be full after. Thats why you get a bunch of tables ordering a couple plates of sticky rice and chicken wings as well. *Note those are pretty good*

If you been to Cuu Long for a while and Pho Linh, you would understand the price changes within the last year. Its almost 30% increase within 1 year and the portions didn't change. What also kinda pissed one of my friends family off, is when the Sister of the owner, puts the wrapped cutlery, directly over the rice dish they ordered. She's usually really good, fast pace and nice, but that was quite a let down.

As for Celebrity Hot Pot, they don't really have a seafood option.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
95thRifles wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 2:19 am
As for Celebrity Hot Pot, they don't really have a seafood option.
If seafood is your ultimate desire, there's an AYCE Hot Pot (Master Mix Hot Pot) across the street with self serve thin strips of salmon, Lobster (scarce, but avaiable), and many other seafood options, but only on week-ends.
They are AYCE 7 days a week, but their Mon-Fri options have no seafood.

***Note: There is still a third place in the area, brand new, on Spadina, near Dundas, but I do not know the name, and I have not tried them yet.

(...and I do not mean Little sheep on Dundas near Spadina. That place is not the greatest. The Scarborough location is better for being self serve, but Celebrity Hot Pot still seems to be the best)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10812 posts
1457 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Dunno what "hot pot" is.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3697 posts
965 upvotes
95thRifles wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 2:19 am
If you been to Cuu Long for a while and Pho Linh, you would understand the price changes within the last year. Its almost 30% increase within 1 year and the portions didn't change.
Food inflation has been crazy the last couple of years.

Let's say food costs increased 15%, and the menu prices the same; people then say that is a rip off and don't go.

Let's say, 25% of people decide not to go. Well, now the restaurant needs to cover costs (wait staff, rent, etc.) over fewer customers. The restaurant may then increase prices further or accept far less in profit.

If they raise prices, they risk losing more customers ... but if they don't, they may not be able to make enough to cover expenses and provide them a decent return.

As you can tell, it becomes a vicious cycle. I would not be surprised if there have been more restaurants than normal having to close the last couple of years because of this.

Food prices generally rise 2-3% a year as the value of $1 becomes less and less. This small increase may just be taken by the restaurant owners .... but 15-20% increase is not something that must owners can take without being affected.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3351 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 5:11 am
Dunno what "hot pot" is.
It's pretty much boiling meats and vegetables in a soup base over a table top, very similar to Korean BBQ except you boil food instead of grilling.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7464 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
At home....cheap, delicious and did I say cheap?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1162 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 3:11 pm
At home....cheap, delicious and did I say cheap?
Home is definitely good and cheap, but it lacks variety unless you have lots of people. If it's only two people, you'd have to buy a lot of everything if you want variety.

I usually like late night hot pot but it's gotten so expensive. Hipot used to be my go to place. Late night hot pot is now 18 bucks per person I think. At one point they used to be maybe 13 bucks a person late night, but that was maybe 10 years ago lol.

Anybody else know of cheaper late night hot pot places?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3566 posts
413 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone tried Hipot hotpot at Chalmers?