Tags:
None
May 1, 2007
110 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 6:23 am
Looks like there's more to the story for the closing of Master Mix Hot Pot.
When they originally closed they had a green sign and you could still buy Bubble tea from street level or also go downstairs to shoot some pool, if desired.
Now the whole building top to bottom has been forced to close, Bubble tea, (street level) pool hall (downstairs) and all!!
WOW! I wonder what went wrong?
The red sign suggests that the restaurant (upstairs) was forced to close, even though it already closed long before now.
(note the "pass" date last February.)
I hope no one got sick drinking a bubble tea from there, lol...if that was any part of the problem.
(note the "pass" date from last March...this place had no yellow warning...it's just GONE!!)
Yeah, weird. I tried to go to Master Mix twice when it was closed (no Red rating) and there was just the owner guy sitting up there reading newspapers. The bubble tea place was still going strong.

DineSafe shows nothing on the Red rating - and the Red ratings says closed from the Medical Officer of Health. Something serious must have went down there over the last month.
Mar 17, 2006
544 posts
58 upvotes
Markham
That's 3 hotpot restaurants closures in the past few months.
  • Spicy Hotpot
  • Spicy Mafia
  • Master Mix (not sure when this closed)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
azndoughboi wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:07 am
That's 3 hotpot restaurants closures in the past few months.
  • Spicy Hotpot
  • Spicy Mafia
  • Master Mix (not sure when this closed)
Also, not long ago, Little Pig hot pot Midland & Steeles is now gone.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
Havo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:22 am
I usually go to Morals.
I still say Chine or Mongolian Sheep hot pot are better places than Morals any day. (for that price range)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
rjp123 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 4:55 pm
Master Mix was my "go to" spot for hot pot. I would eat there 2-3 times per month in the winter. Too bad - I really liked that place.
Yikes. I found this:

MASTER MIX, 261 SPADINA AVE.

Restaurant

One or more significant infractions were observed under the Food Premises Regulation during an inspection on Feb. 7.

Operator fail to properly remove liquid waste

Operator fail to provide washroom supplies

Operator fail to clean washroom fixtures

Operator fail to use proper procedure(s) to ensure food safety

Operator fail to provide adequate pest control

Source: (Scroll down to "M"): https://www.insidetoronto.com/community ... nspectors/
May 1, 2007
110 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 1:41 pm
Yikes. I found this
MASTER MIX, 261 SPADINA AVE.
That was from February. Not recently. They are no longer on the DineSafe site at all.

Oddly enough, I rode by last week on my scooter and saw the same guy who was sitting upstairs reading newspapers when they were closed coming out of the place an locking up. No idea what is going on there.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
rjp123 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 1:10 pm
That was from February. Not recently. They are no longer on the DineSafe site at all.

Oddly enough, I rode by last week on my scooter and saw the same guy who was sitting upstairs reading newspapers when they were closed coming out of the place an locking up. No idea what is going on there.
If they are selling bubble tea, they are doing so illegally.
May 1, 2007
110 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 5:21 pm
If they are selling bubble tea, they are doing so illegally.
No they weren't, the whole place was shut down (including the billiards), but he was coming out and locking up so maybe they are renovating or trying to get something else going in the same space.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7671 posts
844 upvotes
Markham
Your Home.

I stop going out for Hot Pot for few years, I basically Hot Pot at home and Invite friends over for it.

A lot of the stuff you can buy it from grocery store for much cheaper and you can pick whatever food you want. You just have to do the prep work, cut and wash, etc.
Sauces are very cheap, egg are 1.99 for a dozen. Gas toner is 4.99 for $5 and the machine is less than $20.

Once done, clean them and put the dishes to the dishwasher and run it.

Why pay $25-$30 per person for hot pot places that they don't even need to cook for you?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1193 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
I had dinner on a Thursday at Emperor Hotpot at Pacific Mall. It was Decent but kinda pricey with no free soup base.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 4:53 pm
Why pay $25-$30 per person for hot pot places that they don't even need to cook for you?
Because I am one person.
Because I don't have to clean up.
Because I learn about things I like or don't like without a waste fee for not eating it.
Because I don't own a dish washer
Because I enjoy being in a restaurant environment rather than always being in my home.
Because it's all you can eat, so they can bring more of whatever if desired. In a home, once it is gone it is gone.
(that can happen in a restaurant too, but not with every item and not all the time)
Because I don't enjoy prep work.
Because I don't have any friends willing to use their home as a hot pot zone.
There's many more reasons, but I don't feel like writing an essay anymore than I may have.
Like it or not, there are people who much prefer hot pot in a restaurant environment.
That will never change.
($25-$30 includes tax and tip if you go to the right places)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
rjp123 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 3:53 pm
No they weren't, the whole place was shut down (including the billiards), but he was coming out and locking up so maybe they are renovating or trying to get something else going in the same space.
I was informed by that same bald headed gentleman that they are looking for either a partner, buyer or new investment into the place. (He was referring to the Hot pot restaurant-not sure about the rest of the place, downstairs, etc)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7671 posts
844 upvotes
Markham
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 5:55 am
Because I am one person.
Because I don't have to clean up.
Because I learn about things I like or don't like without a waste fee for not eating it.
Because I don't own a dish washer
Because I enjoy being in a restaurant environment rather than always being in my home.
Because it's all you can eat, so they can bring more of whatever if desired. In a home, once it is gone it is gone.
(that can happen in a restaurant too, but not with every item and not all the time)
Because I don't enjoy prep work.
Because I don't have any friends willing to use their home as a hot pot zone.
There's many more reasons, but I don't feel like writing an essay anymore than I may have.
Like it or not, there are people who much prefer hot pot in a restaurant environment.
That will never change.
($25-$30 includes tax and tip if you go to the right places)
That's fine. I never expect everyone to think the same way.
I could predict some downvote from people since this is an hot pot thread anyway.

Are you really going to an hot pot place to eat alone? lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 8:43 am
Are you really going to an hot pot place to eat alone? lol
Yes.