• Jan 3rd, 2024 4:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
rjp123 wrote: Thanks for the recommendation on this. I went on Friday for a late lunch and it was exactly as described: build your own soup bowl by selecting the ingredients from a cooler, they boil it all up and put it in a big bowl and then bring it to your table. When all was said and done it was $16 including tax and it was pretty good. I would go back.
Uh oh Spice and Aroma, looks like you have some fresh new competition a mere ten (or so) doors down on the same side of the street!
@ 407 Spadina avenue, Spicy Incredibowl is now open! ( https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... F3oECAYQBg )
Same idea, priced by weight, but it looks like they're fighting hard to steal all of the "spicy fan" customers from Spice and Aroma.
Yes, I know, it's not a true hot pot place, but they are using hot pot ingredients.

Spicy Incredibowl's grand opening special is 20% off the priced by weight food. Give them a try while they are temporarily cheaper than Spice and Aroma.

It will be interesting to see if there is room for both places to survive so close together...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
May 1, 2007
418 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: Uh oh Spice and Aroma, looks like you have some fresh new competition a mere ten (or so) doors down on the same side of the street!
Spicy Incredibowl @ 407 Spadina avenue, Spicy Incredibowl is now open![/b]
Excellent - I will head there this week for lunch.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2861 posts
274 upvotes
I know this thread is Toronto-centric but I recently watched some food reviews from HK on youtube and found out about another popular chain of hot pot restaurants called Haidilao. I did a google search and found out that they are going to open their first location soon in Richmond, BC. Anyone in Richmond tried this yet? I hope they'll open one in Toronto
If you didn’t grow up in an Asian household, hot pot may be a foreign term to you. Most people enjoy this type of Chinese communal cuisine at home, but more hot-pot establishments are opening up in the city due to an increasing demand. Its convenience and affordability (in comparison to buying and preparing all the ingredients yourself) makes it highly attractive for food-lovers.

Haidilao Hot Pot, a mega-popular hot-pot chain based in China, is scheduled to open its first Canadian location in Metro Vancouver next month. Located at 200–5890 Number 3 Road in Richmond (formerly occupied by HML Seafood Restaurant), the dining spot is a short walk from the Richmond-Brighouse Canada Line station.
According to Haidilao Canada’s marketing manager, Ryan Pan, 150 employees are currently being trained for the hot pot establishment’s mid-December opening. Its menu—think sliced meats, fish balls, veggies, spicy broths, and more—will mostly feature local ingredients, but guests can expect to find some items that are imported from other countries.

Messy eaters, don’t fret: the eatery offers aprons to all guests, which can help prevent any greasy stains caused by its tasty dipping sauces or broths.
What differentiates Haidilao from other hot-pot restaurants is its customer service-focused business model. Each location offers a variety of free services and entertainment while guests wait for a table, and even after they sit down. Expect to be amused with everything from board games to snacks to manicures to its signature noodle dance performances.
The hot-pot franchise also takes birthdays very seriously. In addition to serenading the special guest with a classic “Happy Birthday” song (often in multiple languages), restaurant staff may or may not hold up a bright LED birthday sign that makes for great photo opportunities.
We’re sure that die-hard hot-pot fans will be excited to learn that one of the world’s most popular hot-pot chains will soon make its debut in Metro Vancouver. Stay tuned for more details.
Haidilao was founded in China’s Sichuan province in 1994, and has rapidly expanded across the globe since. It currently operates 300 restaurants in various countries, including Singapore, South Korea, Japan, and the U.S.
https://www.straight.com/food/1163806/h ... ion-metro-
I post, you decide.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Known better for being a noodle house with AYCE noodles, Fudao house is now giving "mini" Hot Pot a try.
NO AYCE for their hot pot though. It's a one round deal. $2.99 extra per item to add anything after the first round.
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/fudao-noodle-house-toronto-4

Fudao is most likely trying new things, knowing that a similar noodle restaurant is opening up just down the street from them soon.

Mini Hot pot:

Or, if preferred, what they're known for. Their Noodle soup with AYCE noodles. (Other choices shown are included as first round ingredients only-extra fee applies to add more):

May 1, 2007
418 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
MasterXan wrote: I know this thread is Toronto-centric but I recently watched some food reviews from HK on youtube and found out about another popular chain of hot pot restaurants called Haidilao. I did a google search and found out that they are going to open their first location soon in Richmond, BC. Anyone in Richmond tried this yet? I hope they'll open one in Toronto
I went to Haidilao Hot Pot in Taipei and it was next level good. Service was amazing, food was perfect and the experience of the whole restaurant was great.

Haidilao coming to Toronto would change things for sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2861 posts
274 upvotes
rjp123 wrote: I went to Haidilao Hot Pot in Taipei and it was next level good. Service was amazing, food was perfect and the experience of the whole restaurant was great.

Haidilao coming to Toronto would change things for sure.
Good to hear. According to a Yelp review, I just found out that Haidilao is not AYCE but I'll still give it a try if it does come to Toronto.

Anyways, here's a video review of the Haidilao in Richmond. I don't understand Mandarin so I have no idea what's said in this video.

I post, you decide.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
MasterXan wrote: Anyways, here's a video review of the Haidilao in Richmond. I don't understand Mandarin so I have no idea what's said in this video.
I got something good out of that video even though I also do not speak Mandarin.
It sounds like the message is that prices may seem high, but quality is also very good.
Another advantage is that it is one of the few places where you can cook in 4 smaller square spaces rather than just one large (or single small) hot pot.
If they allow 4 different hot pot soup bases, that alone is well worth the money.
Good for those who have trouble deciding on soup bases at places that have a wide variety to choose from.
Sounds like they would do well in Toronto's Spadina Chinatown, shaking the hot pot competition there up a little...
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There must be some place for the ultimate fusion: Tom yam hot pot. You'll feel it's causing a fusion reaction in your guts.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
I tried the Fudao mini hot pot. Only $11.99. ( https://www.yelp.ca/biz/fudao-noodle-house-toronto-4 )
It's not AYCE but still very good.
$11.99 includes a first round of Hot Pot ingredients.
If you need extras they are an additional $2.99 each.
I was full (enough) without having to add anything extra.
Another thing to note is that this seems to be a 7 day a week price with no extra charge on weekends.

Keep on mind it's "mini" so it's not the best "go to" place for Hot Pot if you want "it all", but it is a nice filler if money is tight.
May 1, 2007
418 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Went to Little Sheep on Dundas on Saturday evening and I'd say it is probably the best deal in the downtown right now. It was $30 (tax inc) for 1 person and everything was good as expected.

Morals, Chine, Ren, Liuyishou are all much more expensive per person ($40++). I think for lunch Spice & Aroma and Spicy Incredibowl are probably the best value (~$15-$20).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'm sad my old place in Richmond closed down.

Now I'm on the hunt for individual pots and a sauce bar.
Closest location I've found so far is Calgary which is pretty damn far from Vancouver.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Da Bin Jia Hot pot (also known as A Chuan Hot pot/Szechuan boiling house) is now open @ 354 Spadina avenue. (Near Dundas)
All you can eat Hot Pot and all you can drink cans of pop or iced tea are together in one price.

This place is not cheap though.
For one person, week-days it's $46, and Week-ends it's $49 (plus tax and tip)
However,
if two or more people share the same (split) pot, the charge is only $30 per person week days ($33 week-ends) plus a one time charge of $16 for the soup base.
(this makes it cheaper per person ie two people can split the $16 charge, $8 each =$38 plus tax & tip pp when splitting the bill)

Most of the food is on wooden sticks.
It looks something like this:

Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: Da Bin Jia Hot pot (also known as A Chuan Hot pot/Szechuan boiling house) is now open @ 354 Spadina avenue. (Near Dundas)
All you can eat Hot Pot and all you can drink cans of pop or iced tea are together in one price.

This place is not cheap though.
For one person, week-days it's $46, and Week-ends it's $49 (plus tax and tip)
However,
if two or more people share the same (split) pot, the charge is only $30 per person week days ($33 week-ends) plus a one time charge of $16 for the soup base.
(this makes it cheaper per person ie two people can split the $16 charge, $8 each =$38 plus tax & tip pp when splitting the bill)
Just wanted to add another note: The price may seem high, but the food and beverage is all self serve, including the LAMB, which, in itself makes the price worth it.
Any other AYCE self serve Hot pot brings the lamb to the table in small portion, controlling how much and how often you get lamb.
Not this place.

Another to note: A 10% tip is added to the price. Dinner Mon-Thurs. for ONE person comes to $57.05 (including tax and tip)
It is highly recommended to have two or more people when eating at this restaurant.
(two people = $29.95 x 2 + $16 + 10% tip + 13% tax)

I don't do spicy. I was actually hoping someone out there who does would give this place a try and let us all know if it's worth it.
They have beef wrapped around a chilli pepper as one of the self serve options as well as spicy beef and a few other spicy choices.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
What is your go to hot pot place now? One of the main favourites in this thread is now closed for renovations.
RIP Mongolian sheep Hot Pot Scarborough?

Mar 25, 2009
293 posts
491 upvotes
Scarborough
Haidilao’s first Toronto location will be .... Woodside Square ???

Drove by today to grab McDs and noticed new signs up where the Menchies used to be.

Looks like Haidilao, Coco, and Dagu Rice noodle will move into the small space that used to be Menchies. Not sure how that is going to work unless they take over the outlet next door.

When I lived in Hong Kong, the lineups were at least 2 hours every night 365. Tried it once in Asia and was a little underwhelmed. Expensive for what it is. Some people like that they do Chinese performances during dinner. I could care less.

Anyway, they don’t look anywhere close to being done construction. I would assume they would open in Fall at the earliest.
Images
  • 0989122B-5E65-4C2D-A65E-56EB19CF4BF3.jpeg
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
dotdot23 wrote: Haidilao’s first Toronto location will be .... Woodside Square ???
Interesting. Looks like they're also in the "at home" hot pot business... (but is it available in Canada?)

Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4963 posts
562 upvotes
GTA
Woodside is opening like a bunch of Asian fooderies.. beauty tea, coco, magic noodle, bbq, call a chicken, Dagu, hot pot.. guess they putting it all on yellow
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
dotdot23 wrote: Haidilao’s first Toronto location will be .... Woodside Square ???
ferkel wrote: Woodside is opening like a bunch of Asian fooderies.. beauty tea, coco, magic noodle, bbq, call a chicken, Dagu, hot pot.. guess they putting it all on yellow
Someone forgot to tell their website that. It even thinks Menchies is still there! lol ➡ http://www.woodsidesquare.com/woodside-stores/ ⬅ (under "specialty foods")

(most malls update their website often to, at the very least, read "future store space" when a store is absent)
Nov 29, 2015
232 posts
1080 upvotes
Is the Scarborough location for Little Mongolian still closed?
Jul 24, 2011
263 posts
53 upvotes
TORONTO
playnicee1 wrote: Interesting. Looks like they're also in the "at home" hot pot business... (but is it available in Canada?)

Saw it at CC supermarket on don mills. 3 flavors to choose from. Think it was $7.99 or $8.99 Middle aisle front display by cashier.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)