None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
KendrickStone wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 3:01 pm
Do you own Celebrity Hot pot or something? you've recommended it like 6 times on this thread. We get it...you love celebrity hot pot.
Someone asked where. Now go back and read what I recently wrote and tell me where it said the name of the place. (Before being asked where)
Last edited by playnicee1 on Jan 25th, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2015
273 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 3:40 pm
Someone asked where. Now go back and read what I recently wrote and tell me where it said the name of the place. (Before being asked where)
angry much? i'll just rename the same place over and over and over and over and over again Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EDIT: haha way to edit your post so you sound less angry.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2015
273 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2015 9:22 pm
The best Hot Pot (AYCE) just has to be Celebrity Hot Pot @ Spadina & Dundas.
They never disappoint and they don't charge extra for broth.
I also like how they include complimentary Soy milk, Honey Green tea and Plum juice at no extra charge. ($19.50 plus tax base price :arrow: https://www.zomato.com/toronto/celebrit ... enu#tabtop )

***Note: There is a brand new place that just recently opened up close by on Spadina, but I forget the name, and I have not checked it out yet.
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2016 12:20 am
I'm still sticking with Celeb. Hot pot in China town because they were extra nice to me.
Salmon costs extra, but they do allow one round only for free of "Seafood mix".
I told them I love salmon but I didn't want to pay extra. (especially Mon-Thurs)
They allowed me to replace my one free round of seafood with just salmon.
That was nice of them to do that!
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2016 7:53 pm

The plum drink is one of the self serve choices at Celebrity Hot Pot. I like the places with self serve beverage...
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 12:32 am

Which one? Morals on Dundas? If so, yes: ayce-hot-pot-war-1923047/3/

"Okay, so I gave Morals village a try. (Dundas & Spadina location)
Much to my surprise the beef actually tastes better than the lamb, but the lamb itself is nothing to write home about. Very blah.
The pork was also better than the lamb, but still just okay. I did not splurge the extra $3 for Angus beef, but maybe it's just as well, since the regular beef is still incredibly good.
$25.95 (+$2 on week-ends) does not include an extra $2.50-$8 for a soup base. (yes, believe it or not, there is an $8 spicy soup base available, if desired.)

If it weren't for the beef, I'd be telling people that Chine is a better value for those who prefer to pay more than $23 for their Hot pot.
Morals Village may have better beef than Chine, but Chine has an amazing crispy taro dessert that I wish more Hot Pot restaurants would include in their AYCE offerings.

Moral village also charges $2.50 each, per glass of Soy milk or Homemade Plume juice.
Unlike Chine, they're not even offering free hot green tea.

I'm also disappointed there was no salmon for the money I was paying.
Everybody is going to have their own preference for various different reasons,
but I think I'm going to stick with Celebrity Hot Pot.
Great price and 3 All you can drink self serve beverages included. (Soy milk, Iced Honey green tea, and Plum juice)"
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 5:49 am
I hear Celebrity hot pot is now only allowing one free scoop of ice cream for dessert instead of two.
That kinda sux, but for the base price (including chicken soup base) of $19.50, it's hard to complain.
At least they include something for dessert at that (Week day) price and the Honey green iced tea, Plum Juice and Soy milk are still all included. (self serve)
Therefore, it's still my go to place for Hot Pot.
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 29th, 2016 12:04 am

Moral village in China town has self serve spring rolls and self serve sauces along with self serve sweet bun and sweet milk to pour on the bun.
Master Mix is self serve everything. (including pop and hot tea, but iced tea is Nestea, not green tea)
Mongolian sheep is self serve but only in Scarborough, not in China town. (The Chinatown location has self serve soy milk and Plum juice, along with spring rolls and sauces)

Celeb. Hot Pot has self serve sauces, soy milk, plum juice and Honey green iced tea.

Hot pot AYCE restaurants are climbing in popularity...at least I think they are? 6 or so AYCE Hot pot restaurants suddenly appearing close enough to each other, fighting for the same business in Chinatown. (although some targeting a higher class, & at least one targeting a higher level of spicy maybe?)
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 5th, 2016 6:51 pm
I still recommend Celebrity Hot Pot as the go to place.

playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 12:05 pm
Yup. Sounds about right for that place. It's easy to spend as much as $110 including tax and tip there.
Chine is a lot better for those who seem to like Morals village.
Never mind the fact that I keep pushing Celebrity Hot Pot.
Those who want the Morals village experience, honestly should be going to Chine.
It costs less for mostly the same food. (give or take)

I'm still sticking with Celebrity Hot Pot myself, because I LOVE the way the Kelp is presented (pasta style-looks like spinach pasta, if I didn't know what it was, lol)
and some of their other food is great too, plus all you can drink soy beverage, plum juice and iced Honey green tea.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2081 posts
326 upvotes
seriously tho, of all the places available downtown, Celebrity Hotpot is pretty horrible.

between the fruit flies all over the un-wiped sauce counter and the floor that's never seen the business end of a mop...

sure it looks nice from the outside, and you get to shove a bunch of food in your mouth of questionable quality for not a lot of money, and if that's your MO, great...

while i haven't been to the downtown location, if it's anything like the Markham version, I would go to Morals Village instead.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4802 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
I know a cumpare that tried he new hot pot place on hwy 7 and birchmount: Kuan Zhai Xiangzi hotpot

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/kuan-zhai-xiang ... lp-android

Individual pots and grab your own items at different food stations, just like a buffet.

Cumpare said this one offers more variety than Morals Village. Place is huge with two levels and the decor looks very pretty.

Grand opening is next month

Menu is only in Chinese.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
c_snapper wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 10:38 am
seriously tho, of all the places available downtown, Celebrity Hotpot is pretty horrible.

between the fruit flies all over the un-wiped sauce counter and the floor that's never seen the business end of a mop...

sure it looks nice from the outside, and you get to shove a bunch of food in your mouth of questionable quality for not a lot of money, and if that's your MO, great...

while i haven't been to the downtown location, if it's anything like the Markham version, I would go to Morals Village instead.
If Morals village is the direction you wish to steer your spending, trust me, Chine is where you should go instead.
As for Celebrity Hot pot, while I do wonder why they won't mop the floor, I do have to say there are no problems with flies at all.
The sauce counter is constantly wiped down.
They have a green pass sign. Those green pass signs are earned, not just placed in the window for the heck of it.
Just don't play the 5 second rule game there and I'm sure you'll be just fine eating at CHP. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2081 posts
326 upvotes
Pochacco wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 12:27 pm
I know a cumpare that tried he new hot pot place on hwy 7 and birchmount: Kuan Zhai Xiangzi hotpot

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/kuan-zhai-xiang ... lp-android

Individual pots and grab your own items at different food stations, just like a buffet.

Cumpare said this one offers more variety than Morals Village. Place is huge with two levels and the decor looks very pretty.

Grand opening is next month

Menu is only in Chinese.
was picking up some stuff at the whole foods in the same plaza and was curious what this place was all about.

browsing through the picture it shows that they have fixed prices for adult/seniors/children but they also have a la carte pricing.

the outside definitely looks nice and i look forward to what will come of this.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4802 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
c_snapper wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 2:31 pm
was picking up some stuff at the whole foods in the same plaza and was curious what this place was all about.

browsing through the picture it shows that they have fixed prices for adult/seniors/children but they also have a la carte pricing.

The high price is stopping me from going yet hahaha maybe I'll wait till they officially open to see if there may be any opening specials :). There might be none for all I know.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4802 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
c_snapper wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 2:31 pm

Can u tell how much the a la carte pricing could be from the pics?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8189 posts
1018 upvotes
Toronto
Pochacco wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 5:22 pm
Can u tell how much the a la carte pricing could be from the pics?
Took a peek at the menu. Hella confusing, maybe you have to pay for AYCE and then the soup base is extra??
Nov 23, 2012
346 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 12:58 pm
If Morals village is the direction you wish to steer your spending, trust me, Chine is where you should go instead.
As for Celebrity Hot pot, while I do wonder why they won't mop the floor, I do have to say there are no problems with flies at all.
The sauce counter is constantly wiped down.
They have a green pass sign. Those green pass signs are earned, not just placed in the window for the heck of it.
Just don't play the 5 second rule game there and I'm sure you'll be just fine eating at CHP. :twisted:
I tried the killer spicy soup at Chine yesterday. It was spicy but not tasty. Their lamb also is not good.

I much prefer paying $5 more for Morals. Or if I want to save money, I will go to little sheep.
Nov 23, 2012
346 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Paying $50 for HotPot is outrageous. I guess I will never go to KuanZhaiXiangZi.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
rliuthu wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 7:27 pm
I tried the killer spicy soup at Chine yesterday. It was spicy but not tasty. Their lamb also is not good.

I much prefer paying $5 more for Morals. Or if I want to save money, I will go to little sheep.
Yes, the lamb was terrible at Chine, but the beef was still better than the beef that Morals wanted $3 extra for.
The lamb @ Celebrity Hot pot was indeed better.
I don't do spicy, but I have a friend who (for the sake of food being spicy vs flavourful) still likes Chine much better.

Test the lamb quality first @ Little sheep for only $9.99. (lunch special, one round only)
so that you're not finding out through a higher dinner price later. That might be the best thing to do if lamb is what you're after.
Nov 23, 2012
346 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 7:34 pm
Yes, the lamb was terrible at Chine, but the beef was still better than the beef that Morals wanted $3 extra for.
The lamb @ Celebrity Hot pot was indeed better.
I don't do spicy, but I have a friend who (for the sake of food being spicy vs flavourful) still likes Chine much better.

Test the lamb quality first @ Little sheep for only $9.99. (lunch special, one round only)
so that you're not finding out through a higher dinner price later. That might be the best thing to do if lamb is what you're after.
Really, I don't find Lamb good at Celebrity. Not even as good as Chine.

I like Morals and Little Sheep's lamb. Also Morals and Little Sheep are two of the better brands of hotpot in China.