None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
rliuthu wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 7:44 pm
I like Morals and Little Sheep's lamb. Also Morals and Little Sheep are two of the better brands of hotpot in China.
I'm well aware of their popularity in China, but that doesn't automatically make the meat better here.
The winner for best lamb really should go to Little sheep though, IMHO.
Mar 17, 2006
544 posts
58 upvotes
Markham
For all these hotpot places that charge extra for soup, I wonder if you can ask for just hot water instead??
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3767 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
azndoughboi wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 10:05 am
For all these hotpot places that charge extra for soup, I wonder if you can ask for just hot water instead??
of course. but they should have a basic soup base that's free. If they don't, then i would take my business elsewhere.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3767 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone been to the new hot pot place where HIPOT used to be? at Hwy 7 and Chalmers.

Comments?
BST meeting place:
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1193 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 10:55 am
Has anyone been to the new hot pot place where HIPOT used to be? at Hwy 7 and Chalmers.

Comments?
Yelp reviews don't look impressive.
https://m.yelp.ca/biz/cygnet-hot-pot-richmond-hill

Seems like most reviews is about garbage service, not receiving their orders, and receiving food they didn't order.

Saved me the trouble of trying it out.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3767 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 12:20 pm
Yelp reviews don't look impressive.
https://m.yelp.ca/biz/cygnet-hot-pot-richmond-hill

Seems like most reviews is about garbage service, not receiving their orders, and receiving food they didn't order.

Saved me the trouble of trying it out.
ouch! R.I.P
BST meeting place:
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
lovespeanutbutter wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 7:59 am
Has anyone been to that new place on Highway 7 & Birchmount? Kuan Zhai Xiang Zi
Do you mean Xiang Zi Hot Pot, 3989 - Hwy. 7 E., Markham?
• Xiang Zi Hot Pot, 3989 - Hwy. 7 E., Markham, was charged with operating a food premise maintained in manner permitting adverse condition affecting food and employee use tobacco while working with food.

Source: (bottom of restaurant list) http://www.yorkregion.com/community-sto ... s-charged/
May 7, 2008
439 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Seriously - I thought I was the only one who concluded that playnicee1 owned Celebrity Hot Pot. The "testimonial comments" read like a bad infomercial ad for the restaurant.

I used to like the place - but joint keeps going downhill, and playnicee1's posts have irritated me to never go there again. Not even to hang out with the manager Dat, who is generally a nice guy but might be related to playnicee1!

Hilarious.

KendrickStone wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 4:01 pm

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 8:13 am
Seriously - I thought I was the only one who concluded that playnicee1 owned Celebrity Hot Pot. The "testimonial comments" read like a bad infomercial ad for the restaurant.
I used to like the place - but joint keeps going downhill, and playnicee1's posts have irritated me to never go there again. Not even to hang out with the manager Dat, who is generally a nice guy but might be related to playnicee1!
Hilarious.
The Salmon is extra now @ Celebrity Hot Pot so I don't speak as highly of CHP, (no more free "Seafood mix") but it is hard to complain when they at least left the base price (including soup base) alone @ $19.50
I DO agree that $2 for enoki mushroom is ridiculous.
If I had the connections people claim, the salmon would still be included (frozen, yes, but included) and the Enoki mushroom would not cost extra.
Mix pot across the street is also good, but there's no soy beverage there. Just self serve pop only, and ice cream is only offered in the summer.
Mongolian sheep is a lot better in Scarborough than it is in Chinatown.
I've said all this before, now if people would be so kind as to actually read what I just wrote instead of only reading select things, we'd all be better off.
May 7, 2008
439 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Sure sure - you throw in a couple of non-dealbreaking criticisms here and there, exactly what I would do if I was the owner! The fact that you're so defensive of the joint and seem to pop up anytime there's a hot pot discussion to cheerlead for Celebrity just seems suspicious is all....hehe...

The seafood mix was garbage anyways - the salmon was lowest grade of fish possible, and the mussel no matter how little time you cooked it, tastes and feels like a rubber band, and single sad solitary shrimp was not a lot better. Not even sure the whole mix tiny platter costs them more than $1.00. A tray of enoki mushrooms probably cost them more.

The best part of this place are the stacking trays! Oh and the free chili peppers to make a ghetto spicy soup yourself. Other than that....Celebrity needs to seriously step up their game, if they want to compete. I get a discount from the manager and don't even bother going anymore.

playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:51 am
The Salmon is extra now @ Celebrity Hot Pot so I don't speak as highly of CHP, (no more free "Seafood mix") but it is hard to complain when they at least left the base price (including soup base) alone @ $19.50
I DO agree that $2 for enoki mushroom is ridiculous.
If I had the connections people claim, the salmon would still be included (frozen, yes, but included) and the Enoki mushroom would not cost extra.
Mix pot across the street is also good, but there's no soy beverage there. Just self serve pop only, and ice cream is only offered in the summer.
Mongolian sheep is a lot better in Scarborough than it is in Chinatown.
I've said all this before, now if people would be so kind as to actually read what I just wrote instead of only reading select things, we'd all be better off.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 3:23 am
Celebrity needs to seriously step up their game, if they want to compete. I get a discount from the manager and don't even bother going anymore.
I actually had to spit out the mussel last time I had it @ CHP, and the shrimp IS better across the street @ Mix pot, but I don't want to see a price increase just to "step up" the game.
(The salmon was satisfactory to me)
What they could do to keep costs down is serve less spinach, lettuce and cabbage-a lot of that is going to waste.
Maybe it would go to waste anyway, (it doesn't keep, lol) I don't know, but I do know that while there may be room for improvement, hopefully there's room to avoid a price increase.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7146 posts
432 upvotes
So is there any consensus on the go to HOT POT place?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:40 pm
I think it was concluded that Mongolian HP in Scarborough is the winner, but I'm not entirely sure.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3767 posts
470 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:40 pm
i would say none. It either overpriced, food is crap, service is crap or all the above.

your own home (or friend's) is the best
BST meeting place:
Nov 23, 2012
346 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with playnicee1 on Mongolian. Their AYCE lunch has the best value. However their portion for one serving of lamb is small so you have to have "thick face" to order a lot.

If I want to spent a little more I would go to Morals.