None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
rliuthu wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:17 pm
If I want to spent a little more I would go to Morals.
...and again, I have to argue that Morals is a waste of money. I highly encourage that the Morals fan should go to Chine instead.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
rliuthu wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 8:17 pm
I agree with playnicee1 on Mongolian. Their AYCE lunch has the best value.
If we're talking about lunch, the Spadina & Dundas Mongolian has a $9.99 one round only special with limited selection, but it includes lamb...for that price it's incredible!
(the soy beverage is also included as all you can drink)
May 7, 2008
415 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Occasionally - my friend's like to do hot pot at home. I dread when they want to do that.

Last time - we all ended up spending about $30/head (mind we do some expensive ingredients, with premium meat cuts and seafood like oysters etc.) - which if you look around ain't that much cheaper than some place out there.

What I don't mind paying for is to not have to organize and figure out who's bringing what and buying too little/too much and also not having to do the prep nor the damned cleaning afterwards. As well, I hate wasting food - we always end up with too much and then you end up eating a variance of the same meal for a week.

My go to currently is Morals hot pot - damned expensive but good enough value for what I'm getting. Honestly given the price of hot pot in China (which rarely has AYCE), with mediocre beef and lamb (which really for a lot of folks is the highlight), I don't think it's really that expensive here in GTA for AYCE.
yesstyle wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 6:56 pm
i would say none. It either overpriced, food is crap, service is crap or all the above.

your own home (or friend's) is the best
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:21 am
My go to currently is Morals hot pot - damned expensive but good enough value for what I'm getting. Honestly given the price of hot pot in China (which rarely has AYCE), with mediocre beef and lamb (which really for a lot of folks is the highlight), I don't think it's really that expensive here in GTA for AYCE.
You prefer it over CHINE? Why?
Mar 19, 2015
620 posts
119 upvotes
Canada
New hot pot restaurant outside Market Village (where Mongolian Grill & Yamamoto AYCE used to be)- near Pacific Mall

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/spicy-hotpot-markham

For only $28.95 (Monday-Thursday) or $31.95 (Friday-Sunday) you get AYCE hotpot and Grilled Seafood! There is an additional charge for the soup base though.

The selection for hotpot is relatively large and features some unique options. They offer an impressive selection of beef, pork, chicken, seafood, and vegetables. Overall the highlight of this place is their seafood. Simply walk up to this seafood counter and order up as many grilled oysters, scallops, muscles, jumbo shrimp, or razor clams as you like.
Nov 23, 2012
339 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Dogwater wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 11:53 am
New hot pot restaurant outside Market Village (where Mongolian Grill & Yamamoto AYCE used to be)- near Pacific Mall

For only $28.95 (Monday-Thursday) or $31.95 (Friday-Sunday) you get AYCE hotpot and Grilled Seafood! There is an additional charge for the soup base though.

The selection for hotpot is relatively large and features some unique options. They offer an impressive selection of beef, pork, chicken, seafood, and vegetables. Overall the highlight of this place is their seafood. Simply walk up to this seafood counter and order up as many grilled oysters, scallops, muscles, jumbo shrimp, or razor clams as you like.
Looks pretty good value if they use fresh seafood for grilling.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
rliuthu wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 4:33 pm
Looks pretty good value if they use fresh seafood for grilling.
Agreed. What impresses me is the crab still in it's shell. This shows that they're not simply serving imitation crab.
(I don't mind imitation crab, but not when I'm paying higher dinner prices for a Hot Pot restaurant.)
Mar 31, 2017
721 posts
174 upvotes
Dogwater wrote:

Extra 10% off if you pay by cash. They actually don't even have a CC option but you can pay by debit card but no discount. While the grill bar serves fresh seafood, the lines are very long, and they limit you to how many pieces you can get, but they don't have a set time limit for seating. Overall, good to very good seafood, but price is on the high end, and you have to do a lot of the work and lining up on your ow.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 12:28 pm
Extra 10% off if you pay by cash.
Good to know. It barely pays for the basic soup base, but it's better than no discount.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3566 posts
413 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dogwater wrote:

is there a price for only grilled seafood? don't want hotpot
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
Dogwater wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:48 pm
New AYCE hot pot restaurants:

Beijing Hot Pot Restaurant
107 Parkway Forest Drive
Unit 1
Toronto, ON M2J 1L8
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/beijing-hot-pot ... nt-toronto
I gave this place a try.
They're clearly targeting the Morals village crowd. (people willing to pay Morals village prices)
I'm surprised this place has no chicken. (most Hot Pots do)
$26.99 only includes some sort of water base with spice or something like that.
The pork bone soup base for $5.99 extra tasted watered down.
The service was very slow.
There is nothing self serve, not even the sauces.
They bring tiny little bowls of sauce to the table.

On a positive note, I have no complaints about their Beef & Lamb.
Their mussels were also excellent.
There's room for improvement with some of the other food choices though,
and now that I think of it, I never did get my enoki mushroom-makes me wonder what else was missing from my food choices.

I just might return and give this place another chance, using a different soup base.
Hopefully the second visit will be a better one, but right now, I think Morals village is a better choice for those who wish to spend higher amounts of money on a Hot pot restaurant.

Want a discount @ Beijing Hot Pot? No problem! Pay them $15 for a discount card and they'll give you ten percent off your meal. (including the current visit-the card has no tax)
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1693 posts
170 upvotes
I went to Chine on the weekend, ordered the Legendary Broth mild but was still Spicy AF. Got a strainer and strained all the chillis out and made it much better. The lamb was really good and the beef too. Everything was good and fresh and the decor inside was really nice. That was my first hot pot experience also.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10825 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
Celebrity Hot Pot is now $21.50 week days and $23.50 week-ends "to better reflect inflation". (A $2 increase)
It wouldn't be because MasterMix Hot Pot (across the street) is now closed until further notice would it??
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4564 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 12:28 pm
Extra 10% off if you pay by cash. They actually don't even have a CC option but you can pay by debit card but no discount. While the grill bar serves fresh seafood, the lines are very long, and they limit you to how many pieces you can get, but they don't have a set time limit for seating. Overall, good to very good seafood, but price is on the high end, and you have to do a lot of the work and lining up on your ow.
Anyone know what is the difference between going on a weekday and weekend? Do they offer more seafood or special item during the weekend?