Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 6:59 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Some interesting comments ...I didn't buy the costco bacon, thinking I'd get it cheaper in stores. Last time I bought a pack in store it was like trying to grill wet tissue paper - it was thin and in rag/strips - in fact, under the visible layer was a chunk of fat that I just tossed. Now I'm thinking, costco bacon may be a little more but at least it's quality. I'll probably buy it ..set the grill up outside and cook the entire pack and freeze it.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
berieberie wrote: Only problem is that I want good bacon but I don't want four packages of good bacon. :cry:
You can donate the other three to my freezer. It loves bacon!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
jackie999 wrote: Some interesting comments ...I didn't buy the costco bacon, thinking I'd get it cheaper in stores. Last time I bought a pack in store it was like trying to grill wet tissue paper - it was thin and in rag/strips - in fact, under the visible layer was a chunk of fat that I just tossed. Now I'm thinking, costco bacon may be a little more but at least it's quality. I'll probably buy it ..set the grill up outside and cook the entire pack and freeze it.
Just remember to look at the end to see the ratio of fat to meat. The good thing is that even with the four pack, they are usually cut from the same belly so what you see on the front carries through all four packages.

I've grabbed one package of fatty bacon from Costco. Smithfield was crap and I'm not sure to this day it was bacon. The last Maple Leaf stuff I bought was garbage, although better than Smithfield. Spalding was in between, and I won't buy them again as well.

I probably have better luck with no frills, no name as a go to if I can't swing by Costco.

Lots of folks selling stuff that was considered sub stand at a while ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1353 posts
284 upvotes
berieberie wrote: Only problem is that I want good bacon but I don't want four packages of good bacon. :cry:
You should try the PC thick cut peppercorn bacon. I really enjoy it. I think it might be called olde style or something but it's a 500g pkg and the slices are stacked instead of the usual shingle layer. $7.99.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7136 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal
input wrote: Has anybody else noticed that the price of Kirkland Bacon has jumped from $14.99 to $19.99?

I thought they were pretty good value at ~$4 per pack, but now they're $5 per pack, I'm not so sure anymore. I just liked that they were always consistent in how thick the bacon was and how it was cut, unlike other brands.
$19.99? Wow! It had been $13.99 for the longest time, then went up to $17.99. It had gone back down to either $13.99 or $14.99 a few months ago before going back up to $17.99 last time I bought it.

Compared to other brands (barring sales prices), it's still a good price at $5 a pack considering how consistent the quality is.
Dec 14, 2010
507 posts
236 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: You can donate the other three to my freezer. It loves bacon!
I was hoping your freezer would be too full and you would donate one to me!

craigdcan wrote: You should try the PC thick cut peppercorn bacon. I really enjoy it. I think it might be called olde style or something but it's a 500g pkg and the slices are stacked instead of the usual shingle layer. $7.99.
This actually sounds delicious but that price tag though..
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Speaking of bacon, has anyone seen that Au Petit Goret bacon showing up at Costco again? I hear it's amazing but the supply appears to be spotty.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…

My trick is if I have to much bacon (meaning I can't get through four packages before expiration) is that I bake. All the bacon to half cooked, freeze on cookie sheets, and then put on a ziploc bag. Just take what you need it and fry what I need. It takes only minutes then.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
jackie999 wrote: .set the grill up outside and cook the entire pack and freeze it.
Lol!! I love doing that. I think the whole neighbourhood is craving bacon.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote: Speaking of bacon, has anyone seen that Au Petit Goret bacon showing up at Costco again? I hear it's amazing but the supply appears to be spotty.
18.99 for 2x1kg so $4.32/lb. It's on the pricey side but I'll take your word for it and give it a try.

FYI what's left in stores is it and like you said stock is spotty. When it's gone it's not getting restocked.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
berieberie wrote: I was hoping your freezer would be too full and you would donate one to me!
I only keep minimal bacon on hand. Just enough for emergencies...

Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
Is that in the freezer/fridge? I've been opening and rolling and freezing individual strips lately so that I can take and use as little or as much as i need. Audidude...surprised you're not making your own bacon. I've made peameal bacon myself and it's miles better than store bought. It's on my hit list to try making bacon eventually.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 14, 2010
507 posts
236 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: I only keep minimal bacon on hand. Just enough for emergencies...
How about I swap some frozen ravioli's or perogies I stocked up on from Costco for a pack? :D
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
gr8dlr wrote: Is that in the freezer/fridge? I've been opening and rolling and freezing individual strips lately so that I can take and use as little or as much as i need. Audidude...surprised you're not making your own bacon. I've made peameal bacon myself and it's miles better than store bought. It's on my hit list to try making bacon eventually.
That is a huge chest freezer with at least 5 Costco pork tenderloins, 2 full Costco pork loins, 3 full pork shoulders, 3 whole chickens, a bag of Costco steaks I cut, 2 big and 2 small beef rib roasts, a package of store bought sausages, a few packages of homemade sausages, various bags of ground beef/chicken/turkey, rack of lamb, a few store bought steaks, package chicken wings, 2 pkg chicken drums, 2 packages of chicken thighs, 6 hamburger patties. Bones and meat trimmings for soups and sausages and even more.
If the electricity is off, it would take quite a few days before we are in trouble .

Under that bacon is two slabs of home made bacon...
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3499 posts
1688 upvotes
Mississauga
AudiDude wrote: That is a huge chest freezer with at least 5 Costco pork tenderloins, 2 full Costco pork loins, 3 full pork shoulders, 3 whole chickens, a bag of Costco steaks I cut, 2 big and 2 small beef rib roasts, a package of store bought sausages, a few packages of homemade sausages, various bags of ground beef/chicken/turkey, rack of lamb, a few store bought steaks, package chicken wings, 2 pkg chicken drums, 2 packages of chicken thighs, 6 hamburger patties. Bones and meat trimmings for soups and sausages and even more.
If the electricity is off, it would take quite a few days before we are in trouble .

Under that bacon is two slabs of home made bacon...
Can I live at your house? :-0 :D
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
Yes. My expectations have been met. BTW do you have a link to a recipe for that homemade bacon....never sure how much salt and pink/curing nitrate to use when I do this stuff and internet recipes are all over the place.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
gr8dlr wrote: Yes. My expectations have been met. BTW do you have a link to a recipe for that homemade bacon....never sure how much salt and pink/curing nitrate to use when I do this stuff and internet recipes are all over the place.
Well, I have just used Bradleys cure that I bought from Le Baron on Woodbine. I've added a few things to mod the flavour. Now the last time I did a pork belly, I just used maple sugar, brown sugar, salt and a little of dry oregano. I heavily rubbed it and smoked it for 12 hours at 180 using Canwick pellets from crappy tire. It actually tasted more bacon like that the Bradleys rub. You'll notice how I didn't cure it. It tasted great straight up though. I cut the slab and wrapped the rest in foil and ran the belly up to 190 degrees internal. Pure decadence! That sitting on some proper mash with a moat of au jus topped with fresh steamed asparagus is the way to go. It melted in your mouth and was so tasty.

Chilled and sliced the other stuff and ate it over the next few days fried. I will probably freeze some the next time and not cure it as well.

Gonna take a Costco loin and honey ham cure the lean end. I marinate the fatty end and use for souvlaki. I may add some more fat and make souvlasauges...
Nov 17, 2007
191 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Yes. My expectations have been met. BTW do you have a link to a recipe for that homemade bacon....never sure how much salt and pink/curing nitrate to use when I do this stuff and internet recipes are all over the place.
Google Ruhlman bacon. His recipe from Charcuterie is excellent. The first one on the Google page is in American measurements, but others have metric. This page has the metric recipe: http://frombellytobacon.com/2010/03/17/ ... hlman-way/

Notice that the second one leaves out the herbs from Ruhlman.com. I prefer it this way.

Enjoy.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7136 posts
3738 upvotes
Montreal
Cas77 wrote: 18.99 for 2x1kg so $4.32/lb. It's on the pricey side but I'll take your word for it and give it a try.

FYI what's left in stores is it and like you said stock is spotty. When it's gone it's not getting restocked.
That's not pricey for good bacon.