Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 6:59 pm
Nov 4, 2006
780 posts
73 upvotes
mozerfd wrote: has anybody ever seen hazelnuts or vanilla beans at canadian Costcos?
I go to the Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond locations and I often see other nuts but not hazelnuts.
I used to see Hazelnuts all the time at my Costco (Billy Bishop) but I haven't seen any in the last 6 months or so. Whole Vanilla Beans are around but their a seasonal product, they tend to come in during the Christmas Holidays when people do a lot of baking.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: $5.95 for 24 Omega 3 eggs at Costco. So you're paying 17 cents for them to cook and peel them. Now how much is your time and stove-top electricity worth to you? I guess that's the deciding factor, but they seem quite popular so far.
Honestly... I'd pay $0.17 for someone to cook and peel eggs for me even though I can do it.
Electricity is negligible. Time however...
Peeling eggs isn't hard but it's not easy to get a perfect product.
Not so big of a deal if you're doing egg salad but if you're doing deviled eggs you want a perfect egg.

Also I'd pay like $1/egg if someone could give me peeled soft boiled eggs.

Also regular eggs are apparently $3/dozen at supermarkets now.
I swore last night when I went to Superstore and Walmart and saw the price of eggs.
Back to Costco I go.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
hello3k wrote: Has anyone in the West seen the Beef Bulgogi? I checked my local Costco and they didn't have it.
Saw it in Edmonton. Looked awful.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: ^^^ and I was surprised when I saw avocados cut in half and vac packed at sobeys.
The difference is that even pros don't like peeling eggs.
We get peeled eggs in the restaurant industry all the time.

Avocados don't make sense because cutting compromises them.
Peeled eggs don't lose any substantial quality.
Jul 20, 2012
783 posts
345 upvotes
Guelph
1.75 litre of 12 year old Kirkland blended scotch whiskey for $38 USD . Picked it up in Washington DC yesterday.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
BillyBill wrote: Anyone know if any of the Costco's in Mississauga still sell the grated Parmesan cheese that is in little flakes in a big tub? They stopped selling it at the Heartland Mississauga Costco.
Never tried the flakes but had seen them, though not recently. Coincidentally perhaps, recently missing from my local Costco is the 1Kg bags of grated parmesan (Grande Cheese brand @ $13.99ea) that I've been buying for years. Sure, it wasn't Reggiano but compared to Kraft's 100% Parmesan in the green & red labelled tub ($13.99 for 560g at Costco), it tasted better and was more economical. Both are parmesan/cellulose blends.

I actually went to a Grande Cheese store the other day to see if I could get a 1Kg bag. I found massive 2.27Kg bags of grated Grande Parmesan, far more than I want or need, and far more than I wanted to pay at $34.99 IIRC, and the next size down was random weight bags ranging between 600-800g @ something like $27.xx/Kg - I didn't pay close attention to either as it obviously was way above the price I was hoping to pay.

They also had Reggiano and Grana Padano in both grated and wedges but neither were what I was looking for and both were more expensive than my target price per Kg. I left empty handed.

Costco's Reggiano wedges at $25.xx/Kg are clearly the best bet.
Next time I think I'll buy one of those and grate my own by sticking it in the food processor, as others have suggested.
Sep 4, 2014
537 posts
47 upvotes
Madden, AB
Does anyone know if Costco sells the same chicken strips frozen as what is served at the food court?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
hello3k wrote: Does anyone know if Costco sells the same chicken strips frozen as what is served at the food court?
Haven't had them in forever, so unless they've changed, I believe they're the Hampton house ones.
Sep 4, 2014
537 posts
47 upvotes
Madden, AB
aqnd wrote:
hello3k wrote: Does anyone know if Costco sells the same chicken strips frozen as what is served at the food court?
Haven't had them in forever, so unless they've changed, I believe they're the Hampton house ones.
Thank you! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
I noticed the Mississauga Dundas/Dixie location doesn't seem to carry the Nutiva Coconut Oil any longer (at least it wasn't there today). I seems it has been replaced with a Kirkland branded coconut oil. I still have a lot of my Nutiva left from the last sale, so won't be trying the new one for a while.
Last edited by sillysimms on Aug 10th, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
sillysimms wrote: I noticed the Mississauga Dundas/Dixie location doesn't seem to carry the Nutiva **** Oil any longer (at least it wasn't there today). I seems it has been replaced with a Kirkland branded coconut oil. I still have a lot of my Nutiva left from the last sale, so won't be trying the new one for a while.
$13.47 444ml at Wally's - one of the weirdly upscale products they sell. Love your typo :D
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
sillysimms wrote: I noticed the Mississauga Dundas/Dixie location doesn't seem to carry the Nutiva Coconut Oil any longer (at least it wasn't there today). I seems it has been replaced with a Kirkland branded coconut oil.
Markham has both still. Theyre both organic, unrefined, cold pressed, virgin.

Kirkland 2.3K 23.99
Nutiva 2.3L 27.99
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Vanilla extract is back at my Costco, $21.99. Still looking for a decent source for vanilla beans to make my own.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote:
$13.47 444ml at Wally's - one of the weirdly upscale products they sell. Love your typo :D

Thanks everyone (and typo fixed, lol)!
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3611 upvotes
RedQueen wrote: kawartha ice cream Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Another weirdly upscale (Thanks Lecale ;-) ) product they sell at WalMart. I'm thinking of trying the Black Raspberry Thunder flavour.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Have you tried eBay? Lotsof vendors, mostly U.S.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1298 posts
1125 upvotes
Recently found Dr Bronners liquid soap. It's been on clearance 9.97$ for a 1.18l bottle with a blue label on the beauty isle. 100% natural great for body hair, pets or around the house.
Gives you that squeaky clean feeling I love it

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)