Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2019 9:38 am
May 28, 2012
9999 posts
2170 upvotes
Saskatoon
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 9:46 am
I will never understand you hard core Costco shoppers. Did you not notice Sockeye being $8/lbs at Loblaws this week?
Not sure about Loblaws since we don't have that here...but I've bought sockeye from RCSS and it's not as good (smelled a tad funky and it had been "thawed" for my convenience).

It might be a better price somewhere else, but I have had consistently good product from Costco and there is less waste in the long-run.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5553 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
I will never understand you hard core Costco shoppers. Did you not notice Sockeye being $8/lbs at Loblaws this week?
Despite the popular opinion about Costco being cheapest for everything (it's not), sometimes it's about quality.
I can get quite a lot of things cheaper elsewhere but they suck more in some way.
Fish is certainly that way, especially at RCSS. I don't think I've ever seen good fish at RCSS. Their entire shrimp aisle is a joke, crammed with sodium phosphate.
Chicken too. It's fuzzy before I even get home.
Beef is generally a joke. I walked by the steaks a couple days ago and I'd barely give that an A let alone AAA.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3899 posts
1060 upvotes
I'm on the opposite side. When I have bought salmon from Costco (not sockeye) it cooked up smelly. Whereas I have had good salmon (sockeye and regular) from Loblaws and RCSS.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2681 posts
544 upvotes
Mississauga
Smell, touch and feel the fish before you buy it. There is just no other way. I never had problems with chicken at RCSS but I dont buy their shrimp, of beef at all. There are other and much better places for that around here. Also for GREAT seafood selection and quality visit Angelo's Seafood Market at Dixie / Burnhamthorpe.
death_hawk wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 10:52 am
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Despite the popular opinion about Costco being cheapest for everything (it's not), sometimes it's about quality.
I can get quite a lot of things cheaper elsewhere but they suck more in some way.
Fish is certainly that way, especially at RCSS. I don't think I've ever seen good fish at RCSS. Their entire shrimp aisle is a joke, crammed with sodium phosphate.
Beef is generally a joke. I walked by the steaks a couple days ago and I'd barely give that an A let alone AAA.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6676 posts
1343 upvotes
I find fish at Costco consistently very high quality, I have no qualms about buying it any day of the week.. Seafood is one thing I have no problem paying a little more for freshness and quality. The salmon I got from Costco on Sunday was beautifully filleted and glistened. Sometimes I see fish in supermarkets that just looks murky and badly cut, like it was ripped instead of sliced. Like one poster mentioned awhile ago, "it looked like it had been pecked by chickens".

At most supermarkets I ask at the service case when the fish came in or if no service person only buy fish featured in a flyer on Thursday or Friday. It's likely to have just been brought in for the "special" price.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2681 posts
544 upvotes
Mississauga
Just once go to Whole Foods and their seafood / meat counter. You will never buy Costco stuff again.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
375 upvotes
Canada
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 9:51 am
Just once go to Whole Foods and their seafood / meat counter. You will never buy Costco stuff again.
Until you see the price difference...
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2681 posts
544 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes, but to me QUALITY over quantity. Also you might be surprised at what you get and at what things actually cost there. Yes, grass fed beef will be costly there but ribeyes and tenderloins should be a treat and special dinner meats not your everyday throw on the grill and overcook type of a meal :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
375 upvotes
Canada
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 10:51 am
Yes, but to me QUALITY over quantity. Also you might be surprised at what you get and at what things actually cost there. Yes, grass fed beef will be costly there but ribeyes and tenderloins should be a treat and special dinner meats not your everyday throw on the grill and overcook type of a meal :)
Fair enough

I usually overpay for meats at Costco for the fact that the quality is good

I have a butcher I will go to for grass fed beef otherwise, who is usually cheaper than whole foods and will give me other parts like bones so I can make broth
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5553 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:Smell, touch and feel the fish before you buy it. There is just no other way. I never had problems with chicken at RCSS but I dont buy their shrimp, of beef at all. There are other and much better places for that around here. Also for GREAT seafood selection and quality visit Angelo's Seafood Market at Dixie / Burnhamthorpe.
death_hawk wrote:
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
I've poked most of the fish at RCSS and most of it is pretty bad.
It's something I'd rarely ever buy there.
Smell is harder to do since no one has a fish counter any more. Everything is wrapped.

Also for real fresh fish, Asian markets.
It's cheap and it's stupidly fresh since Asians demand fresh fish over the packaged stuff.
cRaZyRaVr wrote:Just once go to Whole Foods and their seafood / meat counter. You will never buy Costco stuff again.
shannn wrote:
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Yeah really... it's not like fish is "special" in any way to warrant a higher price tag.
Sure freshness could be considered special but Costco is fresh enough especially considering the price difference.

cRaZyRaVr wrote:Yes, but to me QUALITY over quantity. Also you might be surprised at what you get and at what things actually cost there. Yes, grass fed beef will be costly there but ribeyes and tenderloins should be a treat and special dinner meats not your everyday throw on the grill and overcook type of a meal :)
I can't speak for anyone else, but unless I'm charging $100/plate there's a limit to the quality I want.
I'd rather take something that's 90% of quality for 50% of the price over something that's 100% quality for 100% of the price.

shannn wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 12:49 pm
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Fair enough

I have a butcher I will go to for grass fed beef otherwise, who is usually cheaper than whole foods and will give me other parts like bones so I can make broth
What is with bones and the price tag?
Beef bones are like $3-4/lb. Veal bones are like $5-6/lb.
I can't even make estouffade without it costing me $100.

I did however find a real cheap source of halibut bones at $2/lb.
Some of the gwai lo grocery stores want like $6/lb for that too.

Nothing like making a $60 chowder...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
375 upvotes
Canada
death_hawk wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 11:57 pm
cRaZyRaVr wrote:Smell, touch and feel the fish before you buy it. There is just no other way. I never had problems with chicken at RCSS but I dont buy their shrimp, of beef at all. There are other and much better places for that around here. Also for GREAT seafood selection and quality visit Angelo's Seafood Market at Dixie / Burnhamthorpe.
death_hawk wrote:

Smell is harder to do since no one has a fish counter any more. Everything is wrapped.

It's cheap and it's stupidly fresh since Asians demand fresh fish over the packaged stuff.
cRaZyRaVr wrote:Just once go to Whole Foods and their seafood / meat counter. You will never buy Costco stuff again.
shannn wrote:
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Yeah really... it's not like fish is "special" in any way to warrant a higher price tag.
Sure freshness could be considered special but Costco is fresh enough especially considering the price difference.

cRaZyRaVr wrote:Yes, but to me QUALITY over quantity. Also you might be surprised at what you get and at what things actually cost there. Yes, grass fed beef will be costly there but ribeyes and tenderloins should be a treat and special dinner meats not your everyday throw on the grill and overcook type of a meal :)
I can't speak for anyone else, but unless I'm charging $100/plate there's a limit to the quality I want.
I'd rather take something that's 90% of quality for 50% of the price over something that's 100% quality for 100% of the price.

shannn wrote:
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Fair enough

I know, broths are the new rage now a days.

My butcher gives me a cow femur for about ?15-$20 including the marrow and some good meat left on the bones.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2681 posts
544 upvotes
Mississauga
@death_hawk - did you seriously say to buy fresh fish at Asian markets? So Im assuming you dont care which farm and garbage they feed them? Nope, not for me.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6676 posts
1343 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:

I want to make oxtail soup but the price of oxtails puts the price up around $60.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5553 upvotes
shannn wrote:
death_hawk wrote:

shannn wrote:

shannn wrote:

Fair enough

I know, broths are the new rage now a days.

My butcher gives me a cow femur for about ?15-$20 including the marrow and some good meat left on the bones.
That's not bad considering the weight of the bone.
Does he break it down for you or does he just hand you a giant bone?
cRaZyRaVr wrote:@death_hawk - did you seriously say to buy fresh fish at Asian markets? So Im assuming you dont care which farm and garbage they feed them? Nope, not for me.
I said Chinese Markets not Chinese Fish.
Unless someone figured out how to farm Halibut or Bluefin.
Shrimp? Sure.
bonterra wrote:
Sep 9th, 2016 2:11 pm
death_hawk wrote:

I want to make oxtail soup but the price of oxtails puts the price up around $60.
That too.
I remember back in the day when stuff like oxtails, wings, brisket, short ribs, etc were off cuts.
Now they're more than frickin' steaks.
May 28, 2012
9999 posts
2170 upvotes
Saskatoon
The Sierra Honey plums are back...3.5 lbs for $10.99. They are sweet and firm in texture (I hate mushy plums).