Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2017 2:42 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1603 posts
68 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 12:53 pm
It's delicious. I like it as a side with sauteed red peppers, mushrooms and parsley mixed in. It's got a lot of interesting, crunchy texture to it.

I find it has too much flavour and texture to use in things like fried rice etc.
Thanks. Good to know it tastes good, but is it authentic wild rice? I'm replacing white rice with it for it's higher nutritional benefits, so I want to know if this product is legitimate
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6223 posts
1111 upvotes
flypretty wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:26 pm
Thanks. Good to know it tastes good, but is it authentic wild rice? I'm replacing white rice with it for it's higher nutritional benefits, so I want to know if this product is legitimate
Well the wild rice portion tastes the same and has the same texture as any other wild rice I've ever eaten, including that hand harvested by a close friend who is very knowledgeable about wild foods. So I would say it most probably is authentic wild rice.

I've never really heard anything else being substituted for wild rice, it's pretty easy to grow and quite prolific.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3905 posts
1272 upvotes
flypretty wrote:
I want to know if this product is legitimate
Lundberg has been around for dog's years (health food stores, first) and has an excellent rep as a premium rice brand. They are both authentic and legitimate.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2117 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
flypretty wrote:
What benefits? Because really there are none and all you are paying for is the cool black looking rice factor. The only different to me is taste, and even that will depend on how you prepare it.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1603 posts
68 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 11:54 pm
Well the wild rice portion tastes the same and has the same texture as any other wild rice I've ever eaten, including that hand harvested by a close friend who is very knowledgeable about wild foods. So I would say it most probably is authentic wild rice.

I've never really heard anything else being substituted for wild rice, it's pretty easy to grow and quite prolific.
lecale wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 12:37 am
Lundberg has been around for dog's years (health food stores, first) and has an excellent rep as a premium rice brand. They are both authentic and legitimate.
Thanks to both for sharing your first hand experiences
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:37 am
What benefits? Because really there are none and all you are paying for is the cool black looking rice factor. The only different to me is taste, and even that will depend on how you prepare it.
You might want to do some reading...
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-ben ... -rice.html
"Some of the most important health benefits of wild rice include its ability to improve heart health, stimulate growth and repair throughout the body, slows the signs of aging, protects against chronic diseases, prevents the onset of diabetes, optimizes the digestive process, strengthens your bones, boosts your immune system, and helps with weight loss efforts"

Nutrient comparison shows a lot more of many nutrients in wild rice compared to white rice
Wild rice http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cer ... sta/5752/2
White rice http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cer ... sta/5712/2
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3905 posts
1272 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 9:37 am
What benefits? Because really there are none and all you are paying for is the cool black looking rice factor.
Ever heard about how, over 100 years ago, the Japanese upper class became affected by beriberi because they ate polished white rice where the poor ate the much more nutritional brown rice and millet? It nearly killed their navy too. It helped uncover the existence of vitamin B1 (thiamin) which is found in brown rice and not in white, though. Anyway, more than a cool factor to brown rice: it is good nutrition.

https://warisboring.com/eating-too-much ... .4yy1qm2uu
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3905 posts
1272 upvotes
Membership going up $5-10 this June

Costco will hike membership fees in Canada and U.S. this June
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/costco- ... -1.4008130
Costco will charge shoppers in Canada and the U.S. an extra $5 or $10 for an annual membership after the big box retailer posted financial results that disappointed Wall Street.

The chain, which has 94 locations across Canada, announced late Thursday that starting in June 1, a regular "gold star" membership will now cost an extra $5 in the local currency to $60 in the U.S. and Canada. An executive membership, which comes with discounts and benefits, will be bumped up $10 to $120 a year.

The chain last hiked its membership fees in 2011.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 10:43 am
Membership going up $5-10 this June
That's still better than raising prices. So far it looks like the plan is to only raise the fee, but to leave most prices alone to be the same.
Mar 24, 2015
585 posts
126 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Grabbed a bag of Snack Factory pretzel crisps to try and they are so addictive! Not all Costco have them. Not sure if this is a new product. I don't remember seeing these before, or they might have been for a limited time. Anyway, going to get a few more bags to stock up! I'm kicking myself for not getting more of the bag of Terra Chips before. I haven't seen them at Costco for at least 6 months now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7581 posts
2496 upvotes
ON
ckay1980 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 10:15 pm
Grabbed a bag of Snack Factory pretzel crisps to try and they are so addictive! Not all Costco have them. Not sure if this is a new product. I don't remember seeing these before, or they might have been for a limited time. Anyway, going to get a few more bags to stock up! I'm kicking myself for not getting more of the bag of Terra Chips before. I haven't seen them at Costco for at least 6 months now.
It's a regular product, so good. I'm told the US has other flavours too, will have to check it out next time I'm there.

Some stores have it with the chips, others by the snacks/candy/nuts.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6112 posts
928 upvotes
Mississauga
I saw a whole lamb at Costco for $119. How does one buy that and it into their car, let alone their freezer?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4670 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 8:57 pm
That's still better than raising prices. So far it looks like the plan is to only raise the fee, but to leave most prices alone to be the same.
Pricing goes up all the time.
Raggie wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 7:44 pm
I saw a whole lamb at Costco for $119. How does one buy that and it into their car, let alone their freezer?
It's not that big. Unless you're driving a sub compact you should be able to toss it in the back seat.
Or even in the front seat.

Freezer is another thing. I'd break it down before freezing.
Although I'm fairly certain they're frozen already so I wouldn't buy one until I had a fairly immediate need for it because I don't want to defrost and refreeze.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11305 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 12:48 am
Pricing goes up all the time.
Depends on what you buy. I find that Costco has done a great job of keeping prices low.
If anything, product will simply continue to get smaller.
I'm amazed that Tropicana still makes the 1.89 L size not from Concentrate Orange Juice for Costco's stores. (It's a 1.65 L size anywhere else-Costco only sells 4 at a time, but it's still a great deal.)
That's just to name one product.
For at least one more year, I'm willing to believe that my membership is worth $60 for all the effort they've made to help me save money so far.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)