Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 1:41 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5227 posts
1060 upvotes
Markham
Mars2012 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 12:23 pm
Thanks. I did that a couple of years ago when Costco had their ribeyes on for a ridiculously cheap price (some like $15/kg?)...bought 5 or 6 roasts and we were set for the summer. I was hoping to get that this year because it's not even prime grilling season yet. RCSS had a 3 day special on their ribeye a couple weeks back but I don't normally use that for grilling. I also bought some striploin last week from Independent and it had a weird smell (it wasn't spoiled, just an "off" smell). From my experience, Costco has the more consistent product.
That weird smell is because of wet aging I think.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10270 posts
639 upvotes
Was it vacuum packed? (the weird smelling meat)

A lot of times vac pac'ed protein has weird funky smell that goes away after airing it out a bit.
May 28, 2012
9776 posts
1989 upvotes
Saskatoon
slowtyper wrote:
May 4th, 2017 11:07 am
Was it vacuum packed? (the weird smelling meat)

A lot of times vac pac'ed protein has weird funky smell that goes away after airing it out a bit.
No, it was in the tray pack. I don't like buying cryovac'd beef, even from Costco...that does have a weird taste and smell, but this wasn't the same.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3973 posts
675 upvotes
Regina
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 4:15 pm
Does Costco still sell Larabar?

I looked around the Etobicoke location and couldn't find any.
Yes they have for quite a few years
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10276 posts
1094 upvotes
hordosr wrote:
May 4th, 2017 12:56 pm
Yes they have for quite a few years
I guess I missed them or Etobicoke doesn't have them. Would you happen to know the price?

I think I found a cheaper place to buy them anyways. RCSS is $16 for the 16 bar pack.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10270 posts
639 upvotes
First time noticing dry cured spanish chorizo at costco, picked up a pack.
Jul 29, 2013
489 posts
196 upvotes
boredstudent3 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 11:00 am
Not a problem. I like it for the light taste, I dont feel like I ate a meal with this popcorn.

Compared to a Chicago Mix (caramel and butter popcorn), Angies gives me the sweet and salt flavour without the heaviness

After tasting Angie's Boomchickapop Sweet & Salt Keytle Corn my son made a popcorn that tasted very similar. I thought it tasted exactly the same and of course it was much cheaper. It may be worth a try.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20808/kettle-corn/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5227 posts
1060 upvotes
Markham
profile wrote:
May 6th, 2017 10:18 pm
After tasting Angie's Boomchickapop Sweet & Salt Keytle Corn my son made a popcorn that tasted very similar. I thought it tasted exactly the same and of course it was much cheaper. It may be worth a try.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20808/kettle-corn/
Thanks for the link to the recipe, everytime I have tried to make kettle corn at home, the sugar tends to burn and the house stinks so I stopped even trying it. Any secret suggestions you can give?

Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5227 posts
1060 upvotes
Markham
Anyone buy Norchem Liquid Dish detergent.
10 litres for $9.79.
Biodegradable and phosphate free.

Compared to Dawn, it's 1/3 the price.

Found one blog review who raves about it. I'll probably buy one and try it as you can't beat the price... Can return it if I'm not happy. Just wondering if anyone already tried it.

Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6520 posts
1245 upvotes
Asparagus is now from Ontario!! Will be eating on a daily basis until the season is over.
Jul 29, 2013
489 posts
196 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
May 7th, 2017 10:11 am
Thanks for the link to the recipe, everytime I have tried to make kettle corn at home, the sugar tends to burn and the house stinks so I stopped even trying it. Any secret suggestions you can give?
My son said one of the comments on the recipe site was to wait to add the sugar to the oil just before you add the kernels. He said it worked.
Jan 23, 2017
743 posts
551 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone been able to find creamed honey at Costco in the GTA?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3446 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote:
May 10th, 2017 12:49 am
Asparagus is now from Ontario!! Will be eating on a daily basis until the season is over.
I tried the Limoncello cake which you raved about in store the other day. It is quite nice, the top lemon layer is not too sour, a good and light cake!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6520 posts
1245 upvotes
boredstudent3 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 3:16 pm
I tried the Limoncello cake which you raved about in store the other day. It is quite nice, the top lemon layer is not too sour, a good and light cake!
If you like the Limoncello style of cake, Metro is doing a pineapple cake and Pina Colada cake that are similar. Same style of light, spongy white cake with nicely fruity but not overly sweet filling. My local Metro will often sell half cakes.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1059 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
OKSpring saw Peace River Organic Creamed Honey 2 x 500g for $8.99 item number 1136732