Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 7:15 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
valve wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 6:56 pm
No membership required to use the Pharmacy - in Ontario at least.
I never said you needed one
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1660 posts
25 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
toronto19850 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 4:07 pm
that makes no sense though...inflation only happens at Costco?
if things were cheaper at Costco prior, they the cost would rise at both costco and the other grocery stores so they would still be cheaper. but they are not...
Perhaps they held off as long as they could. I've seen prices rising elsewhere, it's not just a Costco thing. It also depends on their suppliers and what their prices are doing.
Looking for an educational source to help pass your G1 written driving test? Check out DrivingTests101.com
It helped me pass my test and had a lot of great resources!
Oct 16, 2007
918 posts
209 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2017 9:50 am
the only things I buy at Costco (Elgin mills and Leslie) are :

- rotisserie chicken
- chicken pot pie
- banana's
- hot dogs and French fries (food court)

what happened to Costco? stuff used to be cheaper but now groceries are pretty much the same price if not cheaper at grocery stores when sales arise ?

things like, cereal, chips, cookies, crackers, sauces (ketchup, bbq, dijon mustard, mayo,etc)
costco prices are decent, but more importantly consistant. Grocery stores can be cheaper, however you will need to keep an eye out for sales, and stock when necessary. With costco you dont need to wait. There are also things were grocery stores cant touch costco like generic drugs.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
Nov 4, 2006
762 posts
68 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2017 9:50 am
what happened to Costco? stuff used to be cheaper but now groceries are pretty much the same price if not cheaper at grocery stores when sales arise ?

things like, cereal, chips, cookies, crackers, sauces (ketchup, bbq, dijon mustard, mayo,etc)
I don't think Costco has really changed, but rather other grocery stores have become more competitive in their sale prices.

I used to work at a couple of different grocery stores back in highschool, one of them was the meat department at Loblaws. Anyways, during the Christmas season we had a sale on the usual stuff, like hams, turkeys, roast beef, etc and I noticed one customer literally fill an two entire shopping carts with spiral cut hams when we had them on sale for $1.49/lb. I joking asked the customer what he planned on doing with all those hams? He responded by telling me he was a restaurateur, and that our sale price was cheaper than what he'd pay to buy them directly from his supplier. I asked my assistant manager and he verified that our sales price was below our actual cost ($2.29/lb), and the item is described as a "loss loser". Meaning, the store purposely sell these items below costs in order to attract more customers in the store and while their in the store, they also pick up things like milk, bread, fruit, etc at regular price.

I think this is what's going on with Costco. In general, Costco is cheaper but can't compete with other grocery stores when they have a sale and undercut Costco by selling below costs. For example, Costco sells boneless skinless chicken breasts for about $4/lb, while other grocery stores sell them for about $5-6/lb at regular price. Occasionally you'll see one or two have them on sale for $2.99/lb which is well below what Costco can offer.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
Asagiri wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 3:59 pm
I don't think Costco has really changed, but rather other grocery stores have become more competitive in their sale prices.

I used to work at a couple of different grocery stores back in highschool, one of them was the meat department at Loblaws. Anyways, during the Christmas season we had a sale on the usual stuff, like hams, turkeys, roast beef, etc and I noticed one customer literally fill an two entire shopping carts with spiral cut hams when we had them on sale for $1.49/lb. I joking asked the customer what he planned on doing with all those hams? He responded by telling me he was a restaurateur, and that our sale price was cheaper than what he'd pay to buy them directly from his supplier. I asked my assistant manager and he verified that our sales price was below our actual cost ($2.29/lb), and the item is described as a "loss loser". Meaning, the store purposely sell these items below costs in order to attract more customers in the store and while their in the store, they also pick up things like milk, bread, fruit, etc at regular price.

I think this is what's going on with Costco. In general, Costco is cheaper but can't compete with other grocery stores when they have a sale and undercut Costco by selling below costs. For example, Costco sells boneless skinless chicken breasts for about $4/lb, while other grocery stores sell them for about $5-6/lb at regular price. Occasionally you'll see one or two have them on sale for $2.99/lb which is well below what Costco can offer.
yeah my grandpa bought a huge turkey and ham for like 60 or 80 cents a pound, he price matched at Walmart.

Thats the other thing, Walmart and freshco price match, how can other grocery stores compete? they put a sale up and the other stores have the same one lol
can you price match costco prices at walmart/freshco? I guess that wouldn't work since they have difference sizes/brands most of the time
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
474 upvotes
Blazin_Sunfire wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 12:11 pm
Perhaps they held off as long as they could. I've seen prices rising elsewhere, it's not just a Costco thing. It also depends on their suppliers and what their prices are doing.
yeah I just saw a video where beef went up 100% in price (doubled) luckily I don't eat beef as often as before, or meat really. I used to bodybuilders and ate a 10lb bag of beef and chicken in a couple days and I was already crying about how much money I was spending.
Donuts, mcdonalds, kfc, cereal, chips, candy, cookies, ice-cream is a lot cheaper :) I love it, my grocery store bill went in half when I switched

is there a shortage of cows?
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14804 posts
18034 upvotes
ONTARIO
BobSagget wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 1:33 am
Has anyone purchased the 24 pack of Sparkling Ice from Costco lately?

It's always been the same 3 flavours in the pack. Black Raspberry, Orange Mango and Lemon Lime.

However I just noticed that the newest pack purchased from Costco is slightly different. It's still Black Raspberry and Orange Mango, but now instead of Lemon Lime it's Kiwi Strawberry.
I know I just mentioned this, but Sparkling ICE at Costco disappeared now. In it's place is an identical looking product called Sparkling Fruit2O. $16.99/24 pack.
Strawberry, Raspberry Lemon, White Grapefruit, Orange Mango.

Fruit2O seems to be made in Canada as the Sparkling ICE was made in the US. Funny though the product is so identical looking. I
Here's a picture side by side I took of the two bottles.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2776 posts
430 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Does costco sell ground chicken? I'm looking for some for a keto chicken crust...
Thanks!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7532 posts
359 upvotes
Canada
Never seen in (at least not in Ottawa or the Scarborough locations).
jackie999 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 8:56 am
Does costco sell ground chicken? I'm looking for some for a keto chicken crust...
Thanks!!
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7532 posts
359 upvotes
Canada
Costco is now selling Zico coconut water along with Vita Coco. Both are on sale in Ontario so I picked up a pack of Zico this time.

It's nice. Less sweet that vita coco, a bit more minerally, and to me at least tastes a bit more like fresh coconut water from a young coconut.
He died for me, I live for him
Nov 4, 2006
762 posts
68 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 8:56 am
Thanks!!
Yep, they carry both ground chicken and turkey. IIRC it comes in tray packs of 4
Apr 12, 2005
700 posts
33 upvotes
Anyone seen this product at Costco recently in the GTA

I have seen it on and off over the last few years but not for a few months.

I love the green stuff. The red is only OK.
Images
  • sriracha.jpg
  • sriracha.jpg
Apr 12, 2005
700 posts
33 upvotes
Anyone seen this product at Costco recently in the GTA

I have seen it on and off over the last few years but not for a few months.

I love the green stuff. The red is only OK.
Images
  • sriracha.jpg
  • sriracha.jpg
Mar 19, 2012
699 posts
123 upvotes
Yes they do. In Calgary.
The_One wrote:
Jun 19th, 2011 12:08 am
Anyone know if Costco sell steel cut oats? I only go by there about once a month or so but forgot to check last time.