Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2017 2:42 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2118 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
13inches wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 8:19 am
Any ideas for separating and storing the large (flat) package of smoked salmon? I really enjoy it but only eat a few pieces at a time so once I take it out from the freezer I have to eat more than I want before it goes bad.
Buy as much as you like. Portion into whatever you eat (I usually do 200g portions) vac pack and freeze.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3905 posts
1272 upvotes
13inches wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 8:19 am
Any ideas for separating and storing the large (flat) package of smoked salmon? I really enjoy it but only eat a few pieces at a time so once I take it out from the freezer I have to eat more than I want before it goes bad.
put 3 oz/85 in a ziplock bag, immerse the bag up to the zipper in water to force out the air. Repeat. Pack all the baggies in a freezer bag.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5236 posts
1013 upvotes
Montreal
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 3:32 pm
picked up what I thought was a sweet deal at the dundas/427 location on the weekend, whole pork loin and $5 off, got the huge piece of meat for $18 tax in. Cut down the fat and portioned into lots of freezer bags.
I have a freezer full of pork from these deals. I cut it in to several chops, 1 or 2 roasts and about a pound of cubes.

Since it's a flat $5 off regardless of weight, the best deal is to get the smaller loins.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7540 posts
366 upvotes
Canada
Does Costco still sell vanilla beans? Specifically in the Ottawa area (or GTA)?
He died for me, I live for him
Dec 10, 2007
288 posts
160 upvotes
Arviat
Brioche buns as no other store seems to carry them.. and the Kirkland protein bars of course
Nov 4, 2006
773 posts
71 upvotes
shannn wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 1:57 pm
Does Costco still sell vanilla beans? Specifically in the Ottawa area (or GTA)?
IIRC it's a seasonal item, that comes around the holidays. Will probably be stocked on the shelves in a few weeks in time for Thanksgiving.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7540 posts
366 upvotes
Canada
Asagiri wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 4:24 pm
IIRC it's a seasonal item, that comes around the holidays. Will probably be stocked on the shelves in a few weeks in time for Thanksgiving.
Thanks, will look out for it then.

Will probably end up buying some from eBay in the meantime.

On an off note

Costco in Ottawa now has cauliflower rice for the same price as their packages cauliflower. Saves you time having to use a processor.
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17021 posts
1877 upvotes
GTA West
Time for some cheese... I want to give a shoutout to a couple of brands I've really enjoyed.

Jarlsberg Original Firm Ripened Cheese.
It's described as having a mild, nutty flavour. And this is precisely accurate. The taste of this cheese is really 'crisp and refreshing' and it is definitely a couple of steps higher in quality than the Bergeron Classique cheese that's stocked for about half the price of this one. Goes really well with white wine. Great re-sealable bag. A winner.

Price: $9.49 for 500g
Item Number: 83481

Bothwell Smoked Gouda
This is totally different from the Jarlsberg above, but also very delicious. I was nervous about buying this one as I often don't like smoked products. But I took a risk and was well rewarded! The smoky flavour is very slight, 'just enough' to add a really rich dimension to a heavy and rich-tasting cheese, but not enough to be annoying or overpowering. This gouda is really rich and feels luscious in the mouth when nibbled very slowly. This is more of a red wine pairing cheese and it goes really well with spicy foods. I often pair it with spicy Croatian sausages as a small after-work treat. Quite a substantial cheese with a 'thick and meaty' flavour, and also Made in Canada!

Price: $11.59 for 600g
Item Number: 419542

Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6224 posts
1111 upvotes
Bothwell is the first Smoked Gouda I've ever liked, very subtle. I've bought other brands and they've been so overpoweringly smoky that I've pitched them in the garbage. This one is delicious.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5709 posts
278 upvotes
BC
Jarlsberg is one of our favourites. Great cheese at a good price.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2640 posts
273 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 9:51 pm
Bothwell is the first Smoked Gouda I've ever liked, very subtle. I've bought other brands and they've been so overpoweringly smoky that I've pitched them in the garbage. This one is delicious.
Been looking for the Bothwell Horseradish Cheddar for a few months. They had them in stock at one location, but have since sold out. Can't find it at other locations.

I've also tried Bothwell Truffle cheddar, that was delicious too. However never sold at Costco as far as I know.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10165 posts
589 upvotes
wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:52 pm
Been looking for the Bothwell Horseradish Cheddar for a few months. They had them in stock at one location, but have since sold out. Can't find it at other locations.

I've also tried Bothwell Truffle cheddar, that was delicious too. However never sold at Costco as far as I know.
Same, I regret not buying it when I saw it. I saw some today at whole foods and almost threw up in my mouth at how much it costs. I can't buy cheese anywhere else, too expensive, I can't do it.

After buying a lot of cheese in the US costco though, it makes it even harder to buy in Canada. Sometimes I just wait to make another trip to the US and stock up. I find costco US prices aren't really that great these days compared to Canadian after exchange rate, except cheese is still a lot cheaper with better selection than here. There is a very cheap and tasty Kirkland brand Manchego. I dont' know why they don't sell it here, its their own brand!
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3333 posts
711 upvotes
Mississauga
Does Costco still carry macadamia nuts?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1048 posts
209 upvotes
The current frozen edamame (in-shell) option is really good. It's a big resealable bag, not a box of smaller packages like they previously offered. $10, I'm sure it will go on sale for $8 eventually.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2876 posts
451 upvotes
On May 21st, 'bonterra' wrote:
bonterra wrote:
May 21st, 2017 8:43 pm
New brand of Earl Grey tea, Four O'Clock Merchant, 144 count $10.99. New 3 pack of Dr. O Ristorante Spinaci pizza.
I finally got low on Twinings Earl Grey, a Costco staple in my house for years, so recently, I reluctantly purchased the replacement Four O'Clock version. It's the same price and count per box as the Twinings product, so one would expect it to be a comparable product. Not so. Compared to the Twinings Earl Grey, Four O'Clock Earl Grey is a significantly inferior product in terms of both strength and bergamot taste.

I initially made a cup of the FO EG using my usual method (bag in mug, brew with 10oz of hot water from my Keurig) and it was incredibly weak, undrinkable. "Tasted like dish water", I said, not that I've ever tried. I poured it down the sink and made another cup with a fresh bag, this time using 8oz water. This seemed to have good brew strength, but where was the EG flavour? It was a slightly perfumed black tea, drinkable but not all that pleasant. The next day, as we still had some Twinings left, we did a head to head comparison (Twinings 10oz, FO 8oz) and it was a night and day difference. And Twinings rates their own Earl Grey as "light tasting", 2 out of 6 tea leafs on their strength scale! Four O'Clock's is like 1/2 a leaf in comparison.

The Four O'Clock product went back this morning. I think that's the first food product I've *ever* returned to Costco based on being displeased with the taste (as opposed to the product was mouldy/stale/recalled). Funny thing was, a customer directly in front of me in the Returns line was returning the same product. I showed her mine, and said "Did you not like it, either?" She said she found it "DISGUSTING!", and echoed my observations about taste and strength. After a few minutes in line, we both got called up to separate c/s ladies. I placed my box on the counter and before I'd even said a word, my c/s lady asked "Awful tea?" Later, a third c/s lady came to take away returns and noticed the Earl Grey returns at both desks and said "That's funny. Nobody likes that tea. I've seen quite a few of those recently. Did we change brands or something?" So, yeah, it has been and is a common complaint.

Later, walking around the store, a sample station had Four O'Clock Green Tea and Four O'Clock Earl Grey tea on display. A crowd of older customers were gathered around, chatting with the sample lady while they sipped their tea. I only heard good things about it being said, and wrongly assumed they must have been drinking the Green Tea. I asked the sample lady and she said this batch was Earl Grey. I saw four of the customers pick up a box and put it in their cart.

Walmart has Twinings Earl Grey, 100ct — for $13.47, which is 43% more than Costco's price used to be, per bag. Yikes! Need a better source. Preferably Costco! I'd filled in a Comment Card previously, and did again.

---
My other recent ongoing complaint: they seem to have permanently discontinued whole wheat flour. It was removed during the Great Flour Recall of Spring 2017, as a preemptive measure, and then it never returned. In its place, Costco introduced an organic white flour, brand name "Boreal", for $16.99 for 11.34kg. Costco is funny like that, supposedly catering to health-conscious customers' needs but they take away whole wheat flour and make it "white or nothing". They used to sell unsweetened shredded coconut in bags, took that away and replaced it with sweetened. Took away the No Salt Added Campbell's Beef Broth and replaced it with an organic broth with 5x the sodium, and so on.
Last edited by RenegadeX on Aug 30th, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.