Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2017 2:42 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14797 posts
18643 upvotes
ONTARIO
Has anyone seen the Mediterranean pasta salad they sell at Costco lately?
Every since I first tried it months and months ago, I've been hooked. Getting some every time we go. It's just so good.

Last Friday though, it was completely gone. In it's place was a bunch of asian style dishes.

I really hope it was just a fluke because it's so addictingly good.

This isn't my pic (found it on Google), but it's this salad here:
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4968 posts
4898 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:20 pm
One thing I think they've been selling for a while that I just noticed was frozen avocados. It was like $15 for a 1kg (might be off on the weight) bag of pre-sliced avocados.

I think this is amazing, because it costs a stupid amount to buy avocados, half the time they're not ready and you have like 30 minute window to eat them otherwise they go bad. This takes all the guesswork out of it. I love it.
How are they, do they defrost and taste/feel like "normal" avocado slices? Or what?
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6223 posts
1111 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:43 pm
How are they, do they defrost and taste/feel like "normal" avocado slices? Or what?
Ca you make decent guacamole with them? Avocados are so tricky, hard as rock or turned to mush with black spots. I'd like a reliable guacamole source.
May 28, 2012
9471 posts
1796 upvotes
Saskatoon
bonterra wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:24 am
Ca you make decent guacamole with them? Avocados are so tricky, hard as rock or turned to mush with black spots. I'd like a reliable guacamole source.
I noticed President's Choice also has frozen avocados. It was in a smaller bag (600 g?) though.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1614 posts
703 upvotes
Hamilton
hoob wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:43 pm
If you leave them out for like maybe 30-45mins they taste normal? I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you did a blind taste test.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9888 posts
916 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:03 am
I noticed President's Choice also has frozen avocados. It was in a smaller bag (600 g?) though.
I bought a couple of those bags because they were on sale at Loblaws a little while ago for $3 (400g). Right now they are $5 (still cheaper than Costco). Not sure if this is cheaper than buying avocados though. Does anybody know how much $9 bag of avocados at Costco produces? If it's more than 720g, then it's cheaper to buy them fresh. Frozen has many conveniences though.

They taste the same. I don't notice a difference. The instructions say to move the bag from frozen to the fridge for 6-7 hours and then use. Honestly, I can't wait that long and I don't want to use the entire bag at 1 time. I take out what I need. Spread some lime juice on it and let it thaw for about 30 minutes in room temperature. It should be soft enough to mash into guac.

I've even tried nuking it for about 2 minutes (because I was in a rush). This actually works, but you should mix it around every 30 seconds as areas that are defrosted will start to brown. I wouldn't recommend. Texture was a bit off.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2117 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:09 am
I bought a couple of those bags because they were on sale at Loblaws a little while ago for $3 (400g). Right now they are $5 (still cheaper than Costco). Not sure if this is cheaper than buying avocados though. Does anybody know how much $9 bag of avocados at Costco produces? If it's more than 720g, then it's cheaper to buy them fresh. Frozen has many conveniences though.

They taste the same. I don't notice a difference. The instructions say to move the bag from frozen to the fridge for 6-7 hours and then use. Honestly, I can't wait that long and I don't want to use the entire bag at 1 time. I take out what I need. Spread some lime juice on it and let it thaw for about 30 minutes in room temperature. It should be soft enough to mash into guac.

I've even tried nuking it for about 2 minutes (because I was in a rush). This actually works, but you should mix it around every 30 seconds as areas that are defrosted will start to brown. I wouldn't recommend. Texture was a bit off.
If all you are making is guac, then just look for the overripe avocados in a bag and buy lots. Mash up, portion and freeze. Nothing is cheaper.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3189 posts
88 upvotes
13inches wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 1:05 pm
I want to say that I saw this at Dixie/Dundas on Monday night near the pharmacy/supplements section. Maybe give them a call?
i got the pre ground ones 2 weeks ago at queensway,
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3189 posts
88 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 10:28 am
Does Costco still carry macadamia nuts?
i havent seen it in mine in years. or anywhere in the gta. too bad they were good.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4307 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Couldn't find this for a very long time until recently in Richmond Hill location.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Apr 1, 2017
57 posts
237 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I spotted my local Costco in Montreal selling a new item, ice cream filled mochi cakes. They're made in Japan by the brand Lotte. There's 12 trays of 3 in one box and they come in vanilla, strawberry and matcha flavours. They taste pretty good especially the matcha one. I wish they'd sell a box of only matcha flavours.

The new frozen avocados are really great for smoothies, baking or cooking. If eaten by themself, the texture might not be great. Also, when thawed in the microwave I find they tend to turn brown around the edges.
Last edited by aintic on Oct 18th, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5708 posts
278 upvotes
BC
rilhouse wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 7:34 pm
i havent seen it in mine in years. or anywhere in the gta. too bad they were good.
Put a comment in the box on your way out that you'd like them back. They used to be available only during the holiday season but for the last couple of years they are on the shelf year round at our store.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2813 posts
265 upvotes
hey gang, just a question is the brioche buns a summer time only item? I had a craving for burgers the other day and was disappointed that my local costco (oshawa) didn't have any
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7588 posts
2504 upvotes
ON
Likely just a summer item.
If you have an old receipt with the item # they can check the status in the computer.