Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2019 2:13 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7361 posts
1551 upvotes
Mississauga
Kombucha is on sale this week $5 off. We bought all that was left on the shelf - two boxes.
Floating Leaf Wild Rice $8.99 for 1.5kg
Terra Delyssa Olive Oil $15 for pack of two.
Pack of raw unfrozen shrimp $16
Sweet Potato crackers, Kumatos. Chicken drumsticks to make soup. Chicken breast
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3858 posts
1045 upvotes
Anyone else love the Costco pancake mix?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6675 posts
1341 upvotes
Has anybody tried the from chicken vegetable soup? Or the Hamburger soup from the deli?
Jul 29, 2013
640 posts
292 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 8:39 pm
Anyone else love the Costco pancake mix?
Are you talking about the Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix just add water or a Costco brand?

The Krusteaz is very good. Comes in a 4.53 kg. package. Light and fluffy. I have stopped making my own from scratch.
Jul 29, 2013
640 posts
292 upvotes
Catnippy wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 3:22 pm
Anyone see these pecan cookies in the GTA? I found them end Oct at Markham, and they're yummy ... but seems to be sold out.
https://www.costco.com/David's-Cookies- ... 03380.html
I tried David's cookies because you thought they were yummy. Well, I was not so impressed. To me they were dry and powdery with not so much flavour. I expected a more nut taste.
But I am glad you enjoyed them. To each his/her own.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3858 posts
1045 upvotes
profile wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 10:42 pm
Are you talking about the Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix just add water or a Costco brand?

The Krusteaz is very good. Comes in a 4.53 kg. package. Light and fluffy. I have stopped making my own from scratch.
Yes Krusteaz. Very very good.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18238 posts
2911 upvotes
GTA West
Time for some more cheese... I want to give a shoutout to another chesse that I really enjoyed.

KS Manchego Cheese.
This is a traditional Spanish sheep's milk cheese.
You can't really slice this cheese into thin slices, but you can cube it up. It's a bit crumbly, but somehow has this really unique creamy texture and taste that most other cheeses don't have.
It's not mild, not strong, somewhere in the middle. The flavour and aroma are really unique, and it really agrees with me. I find it is best if you let your serving come up to room temperature.
I think this cheese goes well as a small snack with proscuitto, olives, crackers, red wine, etc.

I first tasted Manchego when a family member visited Spain and brought some back from a small monastery.
I'd say the Kirkland product is 80-90% as good as the monastery Manchego. Strongly recommended to try at least once.

Manchego Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchego

Price: $12.99 for 500g
Item Number: 1206369

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

Image 5:
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18238 posts
2911 upvotes
GTA West
Cereal - I've been testing out the various Costco cereals. I like to make yoghurt parfaits for breakfast, so the cereal topping is an important element for me.

I try to buy cereals to have a bit of taste, but are not in the ultra-sugary 'dessert cereal' category marketed towards kids.

Here are some cereals I've tried recently, along with photos and my comments on what makes them good or not.

KS Heritage Ancient Grains

It's a shame that this really good cereal is not available at most Costcos. The crunchiness level is extremely high and satisfying. It doesn't soften up much at all in the yoghurt (and I only pour it in, right before eating), which is a big benefit. The sweetness is just enough. It's a very satisfying cereal. I find it's a bit frustrating because the stuff isn't ground evenly, and you get everything from chunks the size of golf-balls down to practically sand from a beach.

Overall this is my mainstay cereal and I eat it most often compared to all other cereals.

Price: $8.99 for 1 kg
Item Number: 870840

Image 1:

Thumbnail Images 2-4 (click for larger versions):

Divina Crunch Matcha Tea Granola

I thought this might be a good alternative to mix things up, but I find it does not really align with my tastes. Unlike the KS cereal above, this one is thankfully very evenly produced, with no big chunks and little small sand in it. The taste is more candy-like with sweet white chocolate chunks in it. I think they were catering too much to the hippie crowd for my liking, combining green teal, granola, and some kind of miscellaneous quasi-religious branding. I find it's too soft for me and lacks in crunchiness.

Overall, I don't plan to buy this one again, but it may be more appropriate if you have kids who are more likely to eat something that comes from a bright coloured box and looks like candy.

Price: $7.89 for 700 g
Item Number: 1239072

Image 5:

Thumbnail Images 6-8 (click for larger versions):

NaturSource Cocoa and Salted Caramel Granola

This one I purchased within the past week. Given the relatively low sugar content on the label, I was skeptical about how it was branded with a candy-like name "Coca and Salted Caramel". I don't want dessert.

Caution: The Nutritional informatoin on this one measures 'per 38 grams' and not the '55 grams' of the KS cereal. I was fooled by this.

I was surprised at how this cereal is almost brownie-like in texture. Not crunchy but very pleasing. The grind is not even, with some very large pieces almost like tangerines, down to the fine sand. Furthermore, this could cause you to eat more, since it's hard to subdivide.

It's very tasty, very pleasing to eat, but I can't imagine a good target market for this cereal other than adults who want a more dessert-like cereal.

Overall, I will probably skip this one due to the higher than expected sugar content - I got fooled by the 38 gram scaling.

Price: $7.59 for 680 g
Item Number: 1274304

Image 9:

Image 10:

Thumbnail Images 11-14 (click for larger versions):

Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6133 posts
1589 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 6:19 pm
Cereal - I've been testing out the various Costco cereals. I like to make yoghurt parfaits for breakfast, so the cereal topping is an important element for me.

I try to buy cereals to have a bit of taste, but are not in the ultra-sugary 'dessert cereal' category marketed towards kids.

Here are some cereals I've tried recently, along with photos and my comments on what makes them good or not.

KS Heritage Ancient Grains

It's a shame that this really good cereal is not available at most Costcos. The crunchiness level is extremely high and satisfying. It doesn't soften up much at all in the yoghurt (and I only pour it in, right before eating), which is a big benefit. The sweetness is just enough. It's a very satisfying cereal. I find it's a bit frustrating because the stuff isn't ground evenly, and you get everything from chunks the size of golf-balls down to practically sand from a beach.

Overall this is my mainstay cereal and I eat it most often compared to all other cereals.

Price: $8.99 for 1 kg
Item Number: 870840

Image 1:

Thumbnail Images 2-4 (click for larger versions):

Divina Crunch Matcha Tea Granola

I thought this might be a good alternative to mix things up, but I find it does not really align with my tastes. Unlike the KS cereal above, this one is thankfully very evenly produced, with no big chunks and little small sand in it. The taste is more candy-like with sweet white chocolate chunks in it. I think they were catering too much to the hippie crowd for my liking, combining green teal, granola, and some kind of miscellaneous quasi-religious branding. I find it's too soft for me and lacks in crunchiness.

Overall, I don't plan to buy this one again, but it may be more appropriate if you have kids who are more likely to eat something that comes from a bright coloured box and looks like candy.

Price: $7.89 for 700 g
Item Number: 1239072

Image 5:

Thumbnail Images 6-8 (click for larger versions):

NaturSource Cocoa and Salted Caramel Granola

This one I purchased within the past week. Given the relatively low sugar content on the label, I was skeptical about how it was branded with a candy-like name "Coca and Salted Caramel". I don't want dessert.

Caution: The Nutritional informatoin on this one measures 'per 38 grams' and not the '55 grams' of the KS cereal. I was fooled by this.

I was surprised at how this cereal is almost brownie-like in texture. Not crunchy but very pleasing. The grind is not even, with some very large pieces almost like tangerines, down to the fine sand. Furthermore, this could cause you to eat more, since it's hard to subdivide.

It's very tasty, very pleasing to eat, but I can't imagine a good target market for this cereal other than adults who want a more dessert-like cereal.

Overall, I will probably skip this one due to the higher than expected sugar content - I got fooled by the 38 gram scaling.

Price: $7.59 for 680 g
Item Number: 1274304

Image 9:

Image 10:

Thumbnail Images 11-14 (click for larger versions):

There's usually still a lot of sugar in that commercial granola. If you're up to it, consider making your own with lots of seeds, nuts and dried fruits.

This one is excellent. You can use yogurt instead of buttermilk to soak the oats. I periodically make a big batch in one go.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/06/how ... anola.html
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 12, 2005
861 posts
101 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 2:23 pm
Time for some more cheese... I want to give a shoutout to another chesse that I really enjoyed.

KS Manchego Cheese.
You can't really slice this cheese into thin slices, but you can cube it up. It's a bit crumbly, but somehow has this really unique creamy texture and taste that most other cheeses don't have.
It's not mild, not strong, somewhere in the middle. The flavour and aroma are really unique, and it really agrees with me. I find it is best if you let your serving come up to room temperature.
I think this cheese goes well as a small snack with proscuitto, olives, crackers, red wine, etc.

I first tasted Manchego when a family member visited Spain and brought some back from a small monastery.
I'd say the Kirkland product is 80-90% as good as the monastery Manchego. Strongly recommended to try at least once.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

Image 5:
Big Fan

Great Price
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39839 posts
3912 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 2:23 pm

KS Manchego Cheese.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

Image 5:
Wow nice review!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18238 posts
2911 upvotes
GTA West
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 9:59 pm
Wow nice review!
Thanks... I try to post about products I like.
The idea is to drum up interest and sales so that Costco will keep the product in stock, so I can keep buying it.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Jan 21st, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 29, 2013
640 posts
292 upvotes
Jucius Maximus thanks for the great summary of cereal at Costco.
Well done. Saves me the time and expense of trying each.
Great photos also.
Much appreciate your information.