PC & Video Games

what your top 3 hardest bosses or wtf moments in video game history?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2013 2:02 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes

what your top 3 hardest bosses or wtf moments in video game history?

just like the title says list your top 3 hardest bosses you have faced in any video game or WTF moments.

i'll go first.

1. the jumping dog boss in ninja gaiden.

2. the boss in megaman 2. had blast shield walls protecting spheres on the wall that shot super fast.

3. the first few times i faced psycho mantis in metal gear solid.

46 replies
Sep 7, 2007
194 posts
10 upvotes
Wow when I read the topic I instantly thought of the first Ninja Gaiden, and to my surprise it was your number 1! I've always thought of that game as underrated. The music in that game to me was one of the best soundtracks ever, especially considering 8-bit.

I think to me fighting Malth was a huge moment for me and eventually finding out the only way to beat him was to get dirty and just slash him point blank and take his shots, and of course the final boss (the first part anyways... lol) Me and my bro worked so hard to get that far and by that point had let the nintendo run for several days straight in order to not start from the beginning.

The challange of that game was off the hook and to this day I'm amazed at me (and my bros) skills back in the day as a young'n. Because believe me I had a hell of a time getting that far in that game as well as a few others (Zelda 2) with an emulator and an instant save/load.
Sep 7, 2007
194 posts
10 upvotes
I must add Iron Mike Tyson to that list... Zelda 2's final castle was a ***** and a half...... sooo amazing how hard they made these old 8-bit nes games... Makes me so nostalgic, considering how pansy ***** games are nowadays.

Hmm another wtf moment from newer games was Resident Evil 4 and the first house you use to protect yourself against the oncoming "Zombies". So intense. Dead Space gets some credit for continuing where RE4 left off.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4383 posts
685 upvotes
Mississauga
The only boss the frustrated me enough to actually throw my controller at the wall and at the same time the most pleasure I had in beating is and always will be..

FFVIII's Omega Weapon
may you rest in pieces you bastard
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2002
3005 posts
168 upvotes
Mike Tyson in Punch Out was ridiculous.

In terms of WTF moments, I have to say that the most recent SSX game had the worst spike in difficulty I've ever seen in a game since Battletoads. I cruised through most of that game without having to replay runs or anything. Then you get to the final "boss" on the final mountain, and he's ridiculously hard to beat. Collectively, I must've spent a couple of hours trying to beat him, and while I got really close, I never managed to do so.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9015 posts
561 upvotes
1. Anything Ninja Gaiden.
2. Battle Toads, but specifically the wave runner part. I was never able to beat that level.
3. Super bosses in Final Fantasy. I only played the first one and spent a week trying to beat the mech warrior thing. I hear the other versions have equally tough super bosses.
Oct 12, 2006
333 posts
12 upvotes
Raiding Molten Core for the first time in vanilla WoW was a jaw dropping experience for me followed by many WTF/rage/keyboard smash moments in vanilla Naxxramas.
[OP]
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
to this day some of those 8 bit games were crazy hard.
iron mike was pretty hard too but not as nail biting at those damn dogs in ninja gaiden.
you know what. i may just throw those roms on just to have whirl again.
and yea back then i must say for kids... we had some skills.
i mean i play some games with my nephews and they cant even pair up against me and my bro.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2010 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
infamouskid wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 12:54 am
to this day some of those 8 bit games were crazy hard.
iron mike was pretty hard too but not as nail biting at those damn dogs in ninja gaiden.
you know what. i may just throw those roms on just to have whirl again.
and yea back then i must say for kids... we had some skills.
i mean i play some games with my nephews and they cant even pair up against me and my bro.
Agreed. Seems like it was way harder back then as we also didn't have the luxury of saved games nor the Internet to look up things if we were stuck. Remember having to play some games with a notepad to take notes or try to draw your own maps?
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3739 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
infamouskid wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 7:26 am
just like the title says list your top 3 hardest bosses you have faced in any video game or WTF moments.

i'll go first.

1. the jumping dog boss in ninja gaiden.

I found the final bosses (your dad) and then Jaquoi afterwards more difficult since you continue with the same amount of health. I cheesed them by saving that spinning sword special through the entire level and just jumped into them.

Now that I think of it, that was the first game with cut scenes and a fantastic story. Amazing for its time.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4649 posts
858 upvotes
Biggest WTF moments in Video games:

1) The difficult decisions in The Walking Dead: A Telltale Game Series (as a whole, all 5 episodes); leaving you with the the feeling of regretting what you say and do; the consequences of your actions to come, regarding relationships. There is a foreboding dread of making some choices. The character development and story narrative is probably the best in any game I've played because the situations can create tension and suspense. Overall TWD did what Heavy Rain failed to do, although Heavy Rain is still a pretty good experience.

2) Also the Psycho Mantis boss fight from Metal Gear Solid. Having to unplug your controller out of the socket and change it to another port and all the mind games with reading your memory card. In the GameCube version, you have to unplug your controller and move it to port 4, if you use slot 2 or 3, Mantis figures you out and eventually becomes invulnerable again. The Twin Snakes version was a bit over the top with the laughing portraits part, but it added MGS2's gameplay enhancements. (being able to go prone then shoot in first person, and the roll attack). The PS1 original did not have Mantis warn you about the Video blackouts, hence it handled that surprise better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfQakgpan3M

Best video game moments:

1. The first hour of Uncharted 2 has some never done before, jaw dropping moments. Some parts look like cutscenes but you are in full control of the player. Just about everything from the amount of controller vibration, camera angle perspectives, story presentation, were perfectly done. The best opening segment in any game I've ever played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AR6BzmhMTk

2. Surprised at how good Super Mario Galaxy ended up being. Playing the first few levels for the first time, SMG had some of the most innovative and well designed levels. I never liked 3D based Mario games until SMG1, & to a lesser degree SMG2. Some of the orchestrated music was a pleasant surprise.

3. Seeing Final Fantasy 8's ending the first time. Nothing else like it in its time (1999), very rewarding. Game endings were never this elaborate and did not have production values like these. It even has video during the credits and post credits. Even games to this day do not have endings as good as it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12G44b8Y2fk

Hardest boss fights
(I only owned about 6 total SNES era or older games, mostly RPGs, 2D Mario, Street fighter 2, Final Fight 3, none of those are challenging).

1. The only game I gave up on due to difficulty is Ninja Gaiden Sigma on Normal mode. I only created 1 save file and had only a smidgen of life and I saved before one of the last boss fights. Beating it would be almost impossible. Mass Effect 2 on Insanity or Uncharted 1 on Crushing difficulty had some challenging parts required for the Platinum trophy. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the hardest game I played.

2. Optional sidequests (Super Bosses) in Final Fantasy VII and VIII (Emerald weapon, Omega weapon) both require high level characters and a ton of preparation in order to have a chance of beating them.

3. Challenge I created for myself: Trying to beat Artorias of the Abyss (the 2nd boss) in the Dark Souls Expansion using a low level character (level 17). It took about 25 tries. Dark and Demon's Souls are not that hard. It's mostly the bad players that try to trade hits with enemies or the ones that do not have their shield raised to guard that tend to think it is hard. Artorias attacks relentlessly and does not leave himself vulnerable very long so you have to be patient and wait for an opening. Summoning other phantoms online while in human form makes boss fights in Dark and Demon's Souls easier through attrition. It is probably recommended to be at least level 60-80 before fighting Artorias. I had good gear though.

[edited and updated]
Nov 29, 2011
724 posts
127 upvotes
Milton
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 6:45 pm
2. Battle Toads, but specifically the wave runner part. I was never able to beat that level.
Yeah, not a boss, but immediately what I thought of when I read "toughest." I got close but never beat it. My cousin got through it once, and we went into the next level like we'd found water in a desert.

For bosses though, while this doesn't so much ride on the game itself, but try beating Bowser in New Super Mario Bros with 4 players, where everyone isn't skilled. One of the most frustrating things I've ever played.

I also don't like to count games that go the lazy route for difficulty, like limiting saves or checkpoints or just insanely throwing a ton of enemies at you, often with insane HP (as is common with MMORPGs).
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
10142 posts
1682 upvotes
Montreal
evosero wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 4:13 pm
I also don't like to count games that go the lazy route for difficulty, like limiting saves or checkpoints or just insanely throwing a ton of enemies at you, often with insane HP (as is common with MMORPGs).
yeah those are just cheaps from the old quarter-eating arcade days.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1375 posts
247 upvotes
Definitely agree with the Ninja Garden pick. Ninja Garden 2 and 3 were also insanely difficult.

Games these days are way too easy. NSMBU literally completes levels for you if you die a few times on the same level.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A
× < >