Art and Photography

Whatever happened to eye focusing features?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2008 1:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto

Whatever happened to eye focusing features?

I have a EOS 3 and a Elan2e and both these came iwth the eye focusing feature. For those of you who never used one of these older cameras you can calibrate it so that when you look through the viewfinder it uses the focus point that your eyes are looking at. I found this really useful since it knew exactly what I wanted to focus on. How come they haven't introduced this feature into the newer DSLRs? Am I missing something? I would think that would be more useful than say 21MP (cough 5D cough) =P

I find it just so much more accurate...
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3048 posts
332 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lolwut?
a lot of the current DSLRs have it...
even cheap noob stuff Sony A200 has eye autofocus...
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
Wow never knew it existed. Sounds awesome.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
1337rice wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 12:57 pm
lolwut?
a lot of the current DSLRs have it...
I believe that just activates the autofocus to whatever predefined point as you bring your eye to it.. opposed to tracking eye movement for focus point.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12036 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
1337rice wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 12:57 pm
Eyies wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 1:43 pm
I believe that just activates the autofocus to whatever predefined point as you bring your eye to it.. opposed to tracking eye movement for focus point.
Correct, Sony's eye-start AF just starts the AF as you bring the viewfinder to your eye. I personally don't like it, and disable it on my Alpha.

Canon's eye-predictive AF changed points depending on what you're looking at. pretty special stuff they didn't carry over when everything changed to digital.
Deal with it.