• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2016 12:40 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
10GbE is not *that* prohibitive if you want to get in on it. Ubiquiti just released the cheapest 16 port (I think) 10gb switch at $600 (or half that price if you know where to look). Get some fiber or plain old cat 6 rj45 cables, a client PCI card and you're off to the races. Now no single client will be able to saturate that but give it a few years and I'm sure it will happen.
Aug 28, 2015
140 posts
350 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Internet consumption and bandwidth requirements will truly explode when VR and AR become widely adopted.

Of course you will see that demand with big corporation, health care prior but consumers will follow shortly after.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ichpen wrote: 10GbE is not *that* prohibitive if you want to get in on it. Ubiquiti just released the cheapest 16 port (I think) 10gb switch at $600 (or half that price if you know where to look). Get some fiber or plain old cat 6 rj45 cables, a client PCI card and you're off to the races. Now no single client will be able to saturate that but give it a few years and I'm sure it will happen.
Sure, but how much are cards?
Infiniband is cheaper to run in terms of hardware but has other limitations.
Either way, it's just not going to happen in a home unless you spend at least a grand and probably a lot more if you have few workstations.
Personally I think it's COMPLETELY pointless to only have 10G at the router.
Unless you have 10x clients saturating gigabit (which you most likely don't have) there's no reason for 10G.
Trying to find ONE client to saturate 10G is going to be damn hard.

Remember everyone, that's 1250MB/s read/writes.
Even SSDs in RAID can't read this fast.
M.2 SSDs can be this fast but unless you're spending more on SSDs than houses, how long can you really sustain 10G writes? Maybe there's a deal I don't know about, but it looks like M.2 SSDs are about a buck a GB. That means you're spending $1/s of fully sustained writes.
Ok, so you'er not writing. Let's try reading. Unless you've already spent more money on SSDs than houses and downloaded the entire contents of a torrent tracker, how much of the same content are you really going to be uploading.
Even if you for some reason you've done that, knowing how ISPs have limits now, what are the odds that they're going to give 10G unlimited?

This is going to be a 5 if not 7 figure project in a short period of time.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
george__ wrote: Build a 10Gb intranet
Again. Why.
What in deity's name are people doing that they need 1GB/s read/writes.
Also if I'm insane with my equipment, whoever needs full 10G at home makes me look like a regular person.
*That's not to say I don't have 10G at home, but that's only between my servers. And that only exists because I don't have hard drives in my servers.

EDIT: Also to note: Some of my servers are interconnected with gigabit because 125MB/s writes is still plenty fast enough for 90% of my use cases.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
death_hawk wrote: Sure, but how much are cards?
Infiniband is cheaper to run in terms of hardware but has other limitations.
Either way, it's just not going to happen in a home unless you spend at least a grand and probably a lot more if you have few workstations.
Personally I think it's COMPLETELY pointless to only have 10G at the router.
Unless you have 10x clients saturating gigabit (which you most likely don't have) there's no reason for 10G.
Trying to find ONE client to saturate 10G is going to be damn hard.

Remember everyone, that's 1250MB/s read/writes.
Even SSDs in RAID can't read this fast.
M.2 SSDs can be this fast but unless you're spending more on SSDs than houses, how long can you really sustain 10G writes? Maybe there's a deal I don't know about, but it looks like M.2 SSDs are about a buck a GB. That means you're spending $1/s of fully sustained writes.
Ok, so you'er not writing. Let's try reading. Unless you've already spent more money on SSDs than houses and downloaded the entire contents of a torrent tracker, how much of the same content are you really going to be uploading.
Even if you for some reason you've done that, knowing how ISPs have limits now, what are the odds that they're going to give 10G unlimited?

This is going to be a 5 if not 7 figure project in a short period of time.
Cheapest cards I've seen can be had used for about a hundred. I'm not making a use case for home use, merely illustrating that it can be done for less than a fortune and is getting significantly cheaper.

Use case for this particular appliance is obviously a core switch for your switching fabric not so much for interconnecting your client PCs directly.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ichpen wrote: Cheapest cards I've seen can be had used for about a hundred. I'm not making a use case for home use, merely illustrating that it can be done for less than a fortune and is getting significantly cheaper.

Use case for this particular appliance is obviously a core switch for your switching fabric not so much for interconnecting your client PCs directly.
I'll give you that, but unless you have a 1000 clients you probably don't need 10G.
I mean... that's literally 10mbps per client 24/7.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
This may or may not be a stupid question, but if I am getting 900 down the pipeline, and its verified, why are my YouTube videos still loading?

Upload issue from YouTube servers or?

I guess I wonder when we will be at a point, where any site on the web, can be loaded and every image or video is instantaneously loaded?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4809 posts
1804 upvotes
Most business are still paying like crazy for internet access. I think everyrhkg. Would improve when business internet becomes affordable. 1gbe is plenty for home users.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6345 upvotes
Winnipeg
EEE2 wrote: Most business are still paying like crazy for internet access. I think everyrhkg. Would improve when business internet becomes affordable. 1gbe is plenty for home users.
the business tier internet gets you static ip, i think that's the only benefit over home internet package
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: Most business are still paying like crazy for internet access. I think everyrhkg. Would improve when business internet becomes affordable. 1gbe is plenty for home users.
We're paying $1000/month for two Videotron 100/30 profiles
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
divx wrote: the business tier internet gets you static ip, i think that's the only benefit over home internet package
That's not even a benefit to me any more since I discovered dynamic DNS both for home and for business.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote: This may or may not be a stupid question, but if I am getting 900 down the pipeline, and its verified, why are my YouTube videos still loading?

Upload issue from YouTube servers or?

I guess I wonder when we will be at a point, where any site on the web, can be loaded and every image or video is instantaneously loaded?
Because that 900Mbps is between your internet provider and you only. If the connection between your provider and whichever youtube server you are connected to are saturated, then you are not going to see the 900Mbps.

Keep in mind our internet uses a store-and-forward model, the overall speed depends on the weakest link. If you are many hops away from a youtube server then there is a good chance you will never see the maximum speed.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
LOL... after gigabit ?...

let's get the ISP to offer symmetic internet before even asking what's after gigabit
The sweetest gyal
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
In North America the crickets are chirping !

Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
EugW wrote: I don't see myself needing anything beyond Gigabit internet in the next 15 years. I suspect I represent the vast majority of the population in this regard.

Hell, I'm still on 25/7 VDSL2 and it's been fine, even in the era of streaming HD Netflix. I have no real need for Gigabit and I'm not prepared to pay $150/month for internet access. I'm paying just $35/mo at the moment. Maybe when my kids get older I'll move to 100 Mbps, in a few years.
I'm sure a lot people said dial-up was all they needed 15 years ago.
Technologies evolve, things change. I didn't think I needed more than 30mbps 5 years ago, now I can't stand anything less than 100mbps.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
What does small business internet have to do with anything?