Automotive

What's with all the SUV's and Trucks on the highways?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 4:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 26, 2008
355 posts
88 upvotes

What's with all the SUV's and Trucks on the highways?

Why do so many people feel the need to drive an SUV or truck?

Nobody really needs a frigging SUV or Truck unless they a) Have a large family (Rare these days) or b) Need a truck for a living to haul stuff around.

But I am seeing maybe 1 in 3 cars on the 401 as either an SUV or Truck. Why pay so much extra in gasoline? Is this some kind of status symbol. Is it for safety reasons due to people driving in Winter. Toronto's winters are not that bad and there are an increase in sales in the southern USA too, I understand where it almost never snows.
104 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1286 posts
1017 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:50 am

Nobody really needs a frigging SUV or Truck unless they a) Have a large family (Rare these days) or b) Need a truck for a living to haul stuff around.
Who are you again? You must be pretty arrogant to think you can decide for other people what they "really need". You've been around since 2008 and decided to make a thread a new troll account would make, in the wrong forum.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7312 posts
1287 upvotes
SUV and Trucks now out sold cars by 2:1 per recent data but the trend has been going for a years now.

The extra gas is minor compared to the convenience and extra room.
Last edited by hdom on Sep 15th, 2018 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Sep 18, 2009
155 posts
41 upvotes
Not sticking my 6'3" ass in a sedan, sorry.
Nov 6, 2015
633 posts
240 upvotes
Guelph, ON
bombdiggity wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 1:04 am
Who are you again? You must be pretty arrogant to think you can decide for other people what they "really need". You've been around since 2008 and decided to make a thread a new troll account would make, in the wrong forum.
Well, with so many people complaining "how hard it is to make ends meet" I often wonder the same thing as the OP - at least some of the people complaining about about prices must be these truck/SUV drivers. I especially wonder when I see them idling their engines in drive-throughs.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19792 posts
3608 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Shoppersbeermart wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:50 am

But I am seeing maybe 1 in 3 cars on the 401 as either an SUV or Truck. Why pay so much extra in gasoline? Is this some kind of status symbol. Is it for safety reasons due to people driving in Winter. Toronto's winters are not that bad and there are an increase in sales in the southern USA too, I understand where it almost never snows.
Has it ever occurred to you that:
1. They prefer the ease of entry and exit that it affords?
2. They feel safer in it not just in winter?
3. They need the extra space?
4. They can afford it?

Also with the increase in sales of cuvs/SUVs/trucks, resale value of cars will drop as demands drops for them.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1286 posts
1017 upvotes
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:33 am
Well, with so many people complaining "how hard it is to make ends meet" I often wonder the same thing as the OP - at least some of the people complaining about about prices must be these truck/SUV drivers. I especially wonder when I see them idling their engines in drive-throughs.
Wondering how people can afford to drive them isn't the same as deciding they don't "need" them. There are various reasons why people opt for SUVs over alternatives, and the TS has made up his/her mind that those reasons don't justify their choice of an SUV.

You said it yourself, not all are the people driving SUVS are ones you hear wonder out loud "oh it sure is hard to make ends meet" through their open windows at the drive-through. The ones who are, well it goes for anything...why have kids/so many kids? Why take annual vacations? Why go to Wonderland? Why go to the theatre? Why pay for internet? Why pay for TV? Why not buy everything second hand? Why even go to the drive-through when fast food is so expensive? You might as well wonder about all those and more, since this logic would apply to everything.

When it comes down to it, "need" isn't always equal to necessity, and people will spend on things they think are better in some way than spending the absolute minimum or not at all on things that are cheaper. It's like threads here where some members claim other members don't "need" a $600 winter jacket but are perfectly fine spending on $100 shoes instead of $40 ones. Everybody chooses to spend their money in different ways on different things and everybody determines what they "need" differently. A person spending $600 for a winter jacket might buy one every decade while the person judging them might take a vacation every year and eat out and drop by the LCBO every weekend. People allocate their expenses differently and you can't tell how they do it by looking at them and making assumptions and judging.
Aug 20, 2009
6600 posts
1257 upvotes
Grimsby
I have a different answer - 7 year car loans and general accessibility to auto credit. That's why you see so many trucks and SUVs on the roads these days. Same thing with luxury car brands.

But getting back to your rant, you kind of answer most of it yourself:

- Yes, its a status symbol to some people
- Yes, Other needs the space
- Safety is a factor, SUVs are a lot easier to drive in the winter

And so on. To me the more important question is what does it matter? Drive what you want to drive and who cares what other people are doing.

These things tend to go in cycles anyway so don't sweat it. Compact SUVs are now emerging and most of the ones I see are glorified hatchbacks. We're usually one oil/financial crisis away from people embracing smaller vehicles again. There's also EVs on the horizon.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2239 posts
1105 upvotes
GTA
Those are CUV's aka Boulvard Tigers. Not too many of them would cross even a tiny creek in Muskoka forest :-)
Why people need cell phones if there are still payphones at gas stations?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2019 posts
1263 upvotes
For our family, we have 2 economy cars and it was fine for when the kids are growing up but we have out grown the space. The kids are no longer comfortable as I am tall and the kids aren't getting smaller.

The kids also have friends and like to bring 1 each to activities. That puts it as having at least a 6 seater.

Last point for us was weather. It's not getting better. Big snow storms, flash floods, etc. There's not a car that has ground clearance and awd on the market that's also a 7 seater.
Nov 4, 2008
605 posts
403 upvotes
GTA
Guess what cars are in our household, that's right an SUV & a truck Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking EyeFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye Love my SUV, have been driving one since 2002! Never getting into a minivan that's for sure even with three kids, never felt the need!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30579 posts
5493 upvotes
Ottawa
Tommy74 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:17 am
Those are CUV's aka Boulvard Tigers. Not too many of them would cross even a tiny creek in Muskoka forest :-)
Why people need cell phones if there are still payphones at gas stations?
CUV are off road vehicles? LOL
Pay phones at a gas station......been to a gas station lately LOL
Methinks you are waaaay off with those comments.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2239 posts
1105 upvotes
GTA
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 9:23 am
CUV are off road vehicles? LOL
Pay phones at a gas station......been to a gas station lately LOL
Methinks you are waaaay off with those comments.
Every gas station around my area still has payphone - I was actually surprised to see that ;-) can take some pictures later. And my point was - these ARE CUV's (mostly) or MUV's, XUV's - you name it. Doesn't matter what's the term. People say they came in a "TRUCK" and you look outside and there is a white RAV4 with parked there. Many drivers think they own "go anywhere beast" CRV,RAV4,RDX - but these will never go far in true off-road conditions. There are still fully capable cars around - (4Runner being one of them), but for the most part - they are extinct. Whatever sells counts.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1634 posts
781 upvotes
Markham
The most you can do if you don't like it is don't buy one and tell the people you care about not to buy one either. You primarily target the new buyers because automakers will focus on new sales. That's really all you can do, if you wanted to do something.

Personally I never understood the appeal of the CUV/SUV as a commuter vehicle. BOF SUVs I respect for their off-roading ability, but I know they're awful commuter cars. CUVs I don't like because I hate driving pretty much all of them and the few that were good...the car equivalents were much better ie. CX-7 is a much lesser Mazdaspeed 6. I actually prefer minivans which somehow drive better, a sad state of affairs when they were originally one of the worst. The practical side of me prefers wagons and minivans instead of CUVs, but neither is apparently cool and being cool is more important for the general public than frankly anything it seems.

Pickup trucks however I have a more different tune. There's some real reasons for their appeal, first is price, when pickup trucks are discounted they're heavily discounted around clearance time, right now if you want a Nissan Titan or a 2018 Ram you can get discounts of over $15K right now before negotiations. Never see sales for a CUV/SUV that extensive as pickup trucks. Next, pickup trucks are actually nice to drive, take any of them including the more truck feeling Ford and they actually drive better than most CUVs and in some cases as comfortable. Finally for pickup trucks, durability, all pickup trucks were built to take abuse, sure you can find weaknesses in them here and there like you can with all vehicles but generally they will last long and hold up well even if treated like garbage. I personally wouldn't own one because the fuel costs and it barely fits my condo underground, but if you've driven a modern one, its one of the better vehicles to drive.

I like sports cars, but I'm in the distinct minority. My only new car vote was for a sports car. If you wanted me to rate vehicle types as far as my personal preferences it goes, sports car > wagon > sedan/hatch > pickup truck > minivan > BOF SUV > CUV. Clearly my preferences are way out of mainstream because as it stands right now this is likely how the general public sees it, CUV > pickup truck > sedan/hatch > minivan > BOF SUV > wagon > sports car.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)