Home & Garden

What's the average of your monthly gas bill in winter?(Research for home improvement)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2016 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2005
2225 posts
4 upvotes

What's the average of your monthly gas bill in winter?(Research for home improvement)

Hi guys. I live in a approx 2500 sq foot detached with my family (4 of us) and our monthly gas bill averages at about $300.00/month. We live just like normal folks so does that consider to be high? What are some ways that we can help reduce this monthly cost that's eating us alive? We don't even jack up the heat for crying out loud or take 2 hours showers for that matter. We keep the int. tempt. at about 17-19'C.

Thanks for all the helpful inputs.
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6160 posts
239 upvotes
it would help if you told us the size of the house
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
Since we all live in different regions, I will tell you our consumption...

3600 sq foot home with 2 adults and 3 children. Min. 3 showers per day, new hot water tank installed recently.

December we used 19.5 cubic metres
January 18.0
February 16.4 (I guess the new tank works!!! :D )

Our bill is just under $200 monthly.

See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Jun 12, 2007
742 posts
53 upvotes
3weddings wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 3:05 pm
Since we all live in different regions, I will tell you our consumption...

3600 sq foot home with 2 adults and 3 children. Min. 3 showers per day, new hot water tank installed recently.

December we used 19.5 cubic metres
January 18.0
February 16.4 (I guess the new tank works!!! :D )

Our bill is just under $200 monthly.
What temperature is your thermostat set at? Also is this on equal billing or not?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3558 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
Consider a Hoyme Combustion Air Damper. It closes the furnace fresh air intake when the furnace burner isn't firing. I've been meaning to get one installed for a while now since my utility room is really drafty in winter. http://www.hoyme.com/ Check all the other openings in your home for drafts, like kitchen fan, bathroom fans, etc as these may need backdraft dampers installed or repaired.

I am in a 1600 sq ft middle-townhouse (including finished basement) in Ottawa with two adults and two small kids, natural gas forced air heat and 40 gallon gas-fired domestic hot water tank. We pay $100 a month on Enbridge equal billing over 11 months, for a total annual cost of $1100.
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
house build in 1989, R12 walls, basement wrap in the basement, crap windows, 3225sqft, 95% furnace, old water heater, 2+ showers a day in Newmarket. Since we moved in in november, we have had 3 bills, $426, $366, $518. I am working away on improving the efficiency of the house, but so far it is not having a major impact :(

According to the energy test, the attic leaks out very little heat. The biggest is the basement, then the windows and the upstairs walls. I have now upgraded the insulation in the master bedroom from R12 to R24, which made it a bit warmer, later when I replace the windows, it should be really nice in there :) . the next project now is insulating the basement, then slowly work my way through the house, as the babies will let me, which could be a while
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7539 posts
375 upvotes
I'm a little on the extreme side...

1500sq ft semi in Ottawa. 1 adult living in the home. Temperature set at 17-21C.

My Enbridge BPP is currently... $51 :P

But to be fair, the shower is rarely used (3 shower and 1 bath a week) and for Dec and Jan there were 3-4 weeks where I had the thermostat set at 15C flat.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
NuclearBlast wrote:
Feb 26th, 2009 10:50 pm
What temperature is your thermostat set at? Also is this on equal billing or not?
I have mine at 20 during the day, 22 from about 7-9 and then down to 17 at night.

My equal billing is $113/month, but my bill shows the actual amount also.

HTH

See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
That sounds normal. Our house in BC is 2000 sq ft., built in 1983 and not well designed for energy conservation. We practice our own conservation measures in the winter as much as possible, but our gas bill hits $200/month in mid-winter. We use an auto-thermostat to turn the heat way down during the day when we are away and during the night when we are sleeping. When we are home we keep the house on the cool side and wear sweaters. We use auto electric heaters in individual rooms rather than heat up the whole house. Our electric bill only goes up from about $25/month to $30/month in mid-winter in spite of the heavy use of room electric heaters, but the gas bill goes up from $60/month to $200/month. If anyone is building a new house, I would strongly recommend against gas heat and in favour of electric.
Aug 6, 2001
526 posts
3 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
Feb 27th, 2009 8:56 am

Wow! I thought we were doing well. Two people living in a 100 year old 1100sqft middle townhouse in Ottawa. Heat set between 17 and 20, depending on the time of day. Our BPP is $59/month.

Aske001 I wouldn't recommend electric heat to anyone outside of BC. You have really good rates there.
Dec 11, 2005
516 posts
6 upvotes
I live in Markham. I'm aware of individual companys that conduct these energy efficiency test but have no clue how to search for them. Anyone have these information to share?

Thanks.
Apr 29, 2004
659 posts
12 upvotes
Oakville
moved into a 1700 sqft townhouse last month, our first full month bill (not on the BPP) including everyhing with Enbridge gas was $130. temp set at 16C away, and 19C at home
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1790 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa
Stock R wrote:
Feb 27th, 2009 8:56 am

1500sq ft semi in Ottawa. 1 adult living in the home. Temperature set at 17-21C.

But to be fair, the shower is rarely used (3 shower and 1 bath a week) and for Dec and Jan there were 3-4 weeks where I had the thermostat set at 15C flat.
Wow $51 a month, is that total with taxes and Essential service charges?

I just moved into a middle lower unit terrace home here in Ottawa about 1250sq ft. and I'm paying $88 BBP, but that includes 20some in Essential service (Hot water heater rental) and tax, but my actual usage is $63. I hope to get it lowered when they actually assess my place.
May 17, 2007
3633 posts
746 upvotes
Burnaby
I live in BC. I have a 1992 sq/ft middle townhouse, and my bills are pretty cheap. I keep the thermostat set to 20 in the evenings, and 19.5 during the day. My last gas bill was $71.00 for Jan 15- Feb 15. Electric was $45.

Scary part is: I was in a rental house last year, and the month of Feb'08 my gas bill for 1100 sq/ft was $405 :eek: . Old house, crap appliances, and ancient furnace. HUGE difference moving to a newer place with recently replaced appliances. I think my new frontloading washer/dryer set has helped alot.

But, sheesh, it's expensive for you people back East.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3558 posts
489 upvotes
Ottawa
jacksorbetta wrote:
Feb 28th, 2009 12:32 am
But, sheesh, it's expensive for you people back East.
Yup, don't let the government fool you into deregulating utilities, or going with private auto insurance for that matter.
× < >