Home & Garden

What's the average of your monthly gas bill in winter?(Research for home improvement)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2018 7:12 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 1, 2007
807 posts
98 upvotes
Laith90 wrote: Does enbridge gas cover lights/plugs in condos? Or is that extra through hydro one?
Enbridge is just gas and not Hydro which covers lights/plugs.
Dec 24, 2007
858 posts
144 upvotes
GTA
Townhouse middle unit in GTA, built in 2003, 2-3 adults,averaging $60. Highest bill when we had five adults in a time in winter was $130ish, lowest bill in summer was $20ish. Just had the water heater replaced this year so I will see if the bill will go down. The middle unit really helped to keep heating cost low.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
we live in an earliy 90s backsplit, about 2000 (?) sq/ft an hour north of toronto. our enbridge BBP is $59/month but we also burn 2/3rds to just under a bush cord a year in the wood stove to supplement. wife likes it warm in the winter at 74-75.

electric heat? not in ontario. last i checked manitoba has the lowest hydro rates -- it may make sense there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Brand New R2000 Home in Thunder Bay Ontario
2 adults and 2 kids (ages 3 and 4)
3100 sq feet
Trane XV95 Furnace (set between 17' and 20' depending on the time of day)
Tankless Rinnai RUC90i Hot Water Tank
Maytag Gas Dryer
BlueStar Gas Range / Weber Gas BBQ : We cook 95% of our meals with nat gas.

Moved in July:
Aug 5 - Sept 3 : 0.6 CM/Day : $26.49 : Average Outdoor Temp 17 'C
Sept 3 - Oct 2 : 1.6 CM/Day : $35.89 : Average Outdoor Temp 11 'C
Oct 2 - Nov 3 : 3.8 CM/Day : $57.91 : Average Outdoor Temp 5 'C
Nov 3 - Dec 3 : 8.2 CM/Day : $95.37 : Average Outdoor Temp -10 'C
Dec 3 - Jan 5 : 7.5 CM/Day : $96.58 : Average Outdoor Temp -9 'C
Jan 5 - Feb 2 : 10.4 CM/Day : $116.85 : Average Outdoor Temp -15 'C
Feb 2 - Mar 4 : 9.8 CM/Day : $117.81 : Average Outdoor Temp -19 'C (coldest Feb on record in Thunder Bay)
Mar 4 - Apr 2 : 6.2 CM/Day : $79.77 : Average Outdoor Temp -3 'C
Apr 2 - May 5 : 4.5 CM/Day : $61.48 : Average Outdoor Temp 2 'C
May 5 - Jun 2 : 2.6 CM/Day : $40.89 : Average Outdoor Temp 11 'C
Jun 2 - Jly 6 : 1.2 CM/Day : $32.01 : Average Outdoor Temp 16 'C
Jly 6 - Aug 5 : 1.9 CM/Day : $37.30 : Average Outdoor Temp 18 'C (1 extra adult living with us for the summer)

Grand Total is $798.44 for the year. What bugs me is that each bill breaks down the cost (Gas, Delivery, Storage, Transportation) but then I get a charge at the end 'Monthly Charge' of $21 that is the same for all customers regardless of gas usage to cover the cost of a 'Safe gas distribution system'? That's $252 a year or 32% of my total bill!!!

Cant complain too much as it looks like what I pay for the year in a 5 bedroom home is the same as what some of you are paying for 2 or 3 months worth of gas.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
kr0zet wrote:
Cant complain too much as it looks like what I pay for the year in a 5 bedroom home is the same as what some of you are paying for 2 or 3 months worth of gas.
No you can't -- although my nipples would freeze at the temp you keep your home -- that's very impressive considering your location and goes to show how efficient modern homes/appliances are.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1373 posts
664 upvotes
North York
Just got the Jan bill from Enbridge and it's a whooping $450 for a house under 2000sqf in Toronto. I am feeling something must be wrong because we were on vacation for 9 days this month plus it was always at 16 degrees during the day...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Aritzia wrote: Just got the Jan bill from Enbridge and it's a whooping $450 for a house under 2000sqf in Toronto. I am feeling something must be wrong because we were on vacation for 9 days this month plus it was always at 16 degrees during the day...

What is the billing period? One month? Multiple months?

Also, how many m3 were used in that period? Dollar figures don't have much meaning although yours does seem high.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
This year, about $75/m.
Oct 18, 2003
99 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
My beef with my gas bill

$20 customer charge
$22 delivery fee
$15 transportation fee to enbridge

$30 of natural gas

The delivery fee cost more then the actual gas!!!

end rant/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2211 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
mindbogger wrote: My beef with my gas bill

$20 customer charge
$22 delivery fee

$30 of natural gas

end rant/
For a lot of products, the cost of infrastructure and distribution is often the highest cost.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5992 upvotes
I have a 2850 sq ft brick 2 story house built 1987 - triple glaze argon windows - tankless water heater - rarely used gas fireplace - rarely used in winter gas bbq - electric stove - electric clothes dryer - 95% high efficiency furnace - set to 21C 7/24.

I think the biggest reasons that my gas consumption is low - both of my kids are out of the house (one away at University + one living downtown Toronto) - so being empty nesters only 2 showers a day with a tankless water heater and the triple glaze low E argon gas windows + clothes are washed in cold water.

Now if I could only get the 8 yr old POS York Affinity High Efficiency furnace to stop breaking down!
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Aritzia wrote: Just got the Jan bill from Enbridge and it's a whooping $450 for a house under 2000sqf in Toronto. I am feeling something must be wrong because we were on vacation for 9 days this month plus it was always at 16 degrees during the day...
Your house is poorly insulated, has high air leakage/stack effect, furnace/water tank/other gas appliances are inefficient (or overused, everyone taking tank draining showers costs a lot of gas) or you have a gas leak, incorrect meter, bad utility practice or connected to a neighbour.
One or many of the above is why your bill is so high

You can eliminate them one by one till you find the cause(s)
-insulation depends on age and build - determine by energy audit
-air leakage depends on build quality - determine by energy audit
-check the efficiency of your appliances by looking them up online by model number. Less then 80% efficient is very low (consider replacement depending on various factors), 80% and above is acceptable, but when replaced go for 95%+. And consider having them serviced by a tech to make sure they are operating correctly (they like to tell you to do this each year, to be honest its unlikely to be the actual cause but if you are very unlucky its possible)
-indoor gas leaks should have a smell and possible hissing sound, check all areas where there are connection points and along all pipes in silence. BBQ outdoor connections will dissipate the smell but check anyways. Turn off all gas using appliances for 6 hours if possible and see if the meter moves. If it only moves in 1 m3 increments it will be more difficult to detect small leaks but the old types had much smaller unit dials.
-if you utility is reading the wrong meter their readings won't match your readings, check on the day of a billing cycle and at the next month, see if the numbers match.
-connected to your neighbour should hopefully turn up in the turn everything off for 6 hours, especially in winter.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
mindbogger wrote: My beef with my gas bill

$20 customer charge
$22 delivery fee

$30 of natural gas

end rant/
I wish they don't publish the breakdowns, like rubbing salt. Just say $1 per cubic yard, whatever. Don't want to know how much for the children's RESP, Bermuda vacation....

$450 sounds a lot even if it's not the actual reading. Know how to read the meter?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
plymouthhater wrote: .....

Now if I could only get the 8 yr old POS York Affinity High Efficiency furnace to stop breaking down!
Bite the bullet and get a new furnace? Why give yourself anxiety attack for something that's so crucial ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5992 upvotes
It's still under (2 more years) York Parts Only warranty ... so I will tough it out and then switch to the Direct Energy or what ever their latest name is - heating insurance plan.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
plymouthhater wrote: I have a 2850 sq ft brick 2 story house built 1987 - triple glaze argon windows - tankless water heater - rarely used gas fireplace - rarely used in winter gas bbq - electric stove - electric clothes dryer - 95% high efficiency furnace - set to 21C 7/24.

http://i63.tinypic.com/j9bs5y.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/2nqtnqv.jpg

I think the biggest reasons that my gas consumption is low - both of my kids are out of the house (one away at University + one living downtown Toronto) - so being empty nesters only 2 showers a day with a tankless water heater and the triple glaze low E argon gas windows + clothes are washed in cold water.

Check out my September bbq usage, it included August since that month was estimated. :cheesygri .
In fact Feb, Apr, Aug, Oct & Dec are estimates.

Gas stove and bbq
Gas dryer from Oct onwards
Furnace: 19yr 93% Efficiency,
Water heater: 19yr 50G

May 9, 2015
255 posts
10 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
my dad is pissed that the bill came today and it cost 215 dollars. 30 year old house, just changed the gas heater last summer. 1200 square feet.
$215 sounds about right?
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
134 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
This is our most recent Enbridge Gas bill.

IMAG6818_1.jpg
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1268 posts
655 upvotes
York Region
In the winter months, I average about $160/month. I have a 2900 sq ft brick 2 story house.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6696 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
$212 less hot water tank so about $180 latest bill Dec 3 - Jan 4

Used 524 m3 vs 519 m3 average home and 477 m3 efficient home... guess we gotta be more efficient according to website.

Suggest to list usage amount as well... that will be better gauge then cost that may have different rates and rentals perhaps.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.