Cell Phones

What's the best Chinese phone to use in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 9:33 am
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
79 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

What's the best Chinese phone to use in Canada?

My current phone is pretty much dead so I need to get a new smartphone. However, I don't want to spend $1000+ on a Samsung or Apple phone. So I wanted to try a Chinese phone this time. You guys have any suggestions?

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Budget around $400-$500
-At least 6 GB of RAM
-Preferably with a SD card slot (expandable memory storage)
-Some way to listen to music (either 3.5 mm jack or USB-C connection)

I did some digging around and found a few phones:

-Umidigi Z2 pro (has all the features I want and only around $300, but I heard it's not the greatest)
-Pocophone F1 (this would have been perfect, the only new phone with a 3.5 mm jack. But it only supports 1 LTE band in Canada, so it wouldn't work here)
-Xiaomi Mi 8 (Pretty powerful phone and the reviews look good for it. But no SD card slot)

Are there any other Chinese phones that are just as good as these ones, but have all the features I'd want? Any help would be appreciated!
59 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20035 posts
2174 upvotes
Montreal
Look for a OnePlus 5t on sale used. It supports all the bands in Canada and has flawless performance.
Nov 1, 2009
733 posts
171 upvotes
Take a look at this website kimovil
Will have all the Chinese phones you'd be interested in.
Also have vendors who'd be selling it for less & also which phones has which band covered for Canadian carriers.

Keep in mind single's day (Nov. 11) & Black Friday is around the corner.
So it would be good to see if the phone(s) you're interested drops in price.
Assuming your not in a hurry to get a phone right away.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
79 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
mr_raider wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 6:37 pm
Look for a OnePlus 5t on sale used. It supports all the bands in Canada and has flawless performance.
It looks like a good phone. Sadly there's no SD card slot though.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
79 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
jay-em wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 7:26 pm
Take a look at this website kimovil
Will have all the Chinese phones you'd be interested in.
Also have vendors who'd be selling it for less & also which phones has which band covered for Canadian carriers.

Keep in mind single's day (Nov. 11) & Black Friday is around the corner.
So it would be good to see if the phone(s) you're interested drops in price.
Assuming your not in a hurry to get a phone right away.
I'll definitely check out that website. I kind of need a phone right away, but maybe I'll get a throwaway phone in the meantime and wait until it goes on sale in China. And I can use my throwaway phone in case my current phones ever crap out like my phone right now. :D
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1314 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deity307 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 12:21 am
I'll definitely check out that website. I kind of need a phone right away, but maybe I'll get a throwaway phone in the meantime and wait until it goes on sale in China. And I can use my throwaway phone in case my current phones ever crap out like my phone right now. :D
Regardless, with the shipment's from China you're looking at 15 - 30 days wait for the phone, and then on boxing day or black friday - you can just forget it coming..lol
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17134 posts
1456 upvotes
Woodbridge
Why do you want 6GB of RAM?

Seems like the phone I've been suggesting many times lately is the SAMSUNG Galaxy A8. I got it for my Mother's birthday.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8120 posts
449 upvotes
picked up a Blu Vivo Xi+ for my daughter to use on Freedom, should have it tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6028 posts
1010 upvotes
r1lee wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 12:14 pm
picked up a Blu Vivo Xi+ for my daughter to use on Freedom, should have it tomorrow.
Interesting phone....

Where did you buy?
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
79 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
lamboman wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 6:39 am
Regardless, with the shipment's from China you're looking at 15 - 30 days wait for the phone, and then on boxing day or black friday - you can just forget it coming..lol
Haha true. I'm gonna buy a cheap backup phone in the meantime here while I wait for the phone from China.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
79 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
bembol wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:36 am
Why do you want 6GB of RAM?

Seems like the phone I've been suggesting many times lately is the SAMSUNG Galaxy A8. I got it for my Mother's birthday.
I do a lot of stuff with the smartphone, like running a bunch of apps at the same time and play games on it. So I want the phone to be powerful and fast.
Jan 7, 2007
118 posts
23 upvotes
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro 6GB or Asus Zenfone Pro M1... both are well under your Budget on EGlobal
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8120 posts
449 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 12:26 pm
Interesting phone....

Where did you buy?
Amazon it's 300 usd now. Supports all the bands so far, daughter loves it
Jan 13, 2017
170 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't the Huawei P20 still on sale for $360 from Koodo??
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4450 posts
505 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I'm thinking of getting a new "Chinese" cellphone as well.
But not sure what one has to look for to make sure it works in Canada.
I want to spend a lot less $C400-500, something around $100 to $150 is what I'm thinking.
But all I want is a good camera since I would use the cell phone more for taking pictures than for calls. Currently I have a 5 Mp, I'm looking for 8 Mp and up
Also a TF (or Micro-SD) slot
That's about it except not too big.

Would this work in Canada?
https://www.dx.com/p/xiaomi-redmi-6a-an ... 8uvZ35RffA

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

miji2