Cell Phones

What's the best Chinese phone to use in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 10:36 am
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2730 posts
82 upvotes
Aznkid2000 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 12:08 am
when did you buy it? i am thinking about buying a new phone. Would sales rep at the store know if it works internationally?
I bought the phone in September.

The reps would probably know....

I didn't speak to any reps on the sales floor. Actually, I don't think there were any reps on the sales floor. The only people there were the cashiers and they'll get a new phone from the back when you need it.

I researched the phone before I got it so I knew what I was getting. Maybe you check out the specs on the Xiaomi Hk site first just to make sure. Also, keep in mind that the phones don't come with the north American style charging plug and there is no option to buy one at the store as they don't have any.
I post, you decide.
Dec 27, 2002
501 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga
I just bought a Mi8 on Banggood, 128GB Global Version model for $550 CAD shipped (+maybe customs fees, who knows). The 64GB model is cheaper. My criteria were as follows:
- LTE in Canada + Europe
- AMOLED
- Good camera with OIS

There were too many drawbacks for other mid range devices, that only saved ~$100-150 or so; not worth it for a device I use everyday.
Jul 13, 2018
27 posts
4 upvotes
HappyDaze wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 1:19 pm
I just bought a Mi8 on Banggood, 128GB Global Version model for $550 CAD shipped (+maybe customs fees, who knows). The 64GB model is cheaper. My criteria were as follows:
- LTE in Canada + Europe
- AMOLED
- Good camera with OIS

There were too many drawbacks for other mid range devices, that only saved ~$100-150 or so; not worth it for a device I use everyday.
how did you get the mi8 for $C 550 cad shipped? I only see $C 612. https://www.banggood.com/search/xiaomi- ... 4417v43031
Also what's the concern about warranty? Is there any warranty at all for phones bought from aliexpress, banggood, ******** etc?
Dec 27, 2002
501 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga
janthe6th wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 11:35 am
how did you get the mi8 for $C 550 cad shipped? I only see $C 612. https://www.banggood.com/search/xiaomi- ... 4417v43031
Also what's the concern about warranty? Is there any warranty at all for phones bought from aliexpress, banggood, ******** etc?
From searching, I found a cool site called couponsfromchina.com which tracks historical pricing for a ton of items on Chinese sites, and has the latest coupon code(s) per item.

I am rolling the dice on long term warranty, I don't expect any coverage. After some research, I used PayPal to pay (easiest way to get money back in case of dispute), and also picked up insurance for ~$10 in case there is some initial damage.
Jul 13, 2018
27 posts
4 upvotes
HappyDaze wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 11:54 am
From searching, I found a cool site called couponsfromchina.com which tracks historical pricing for a ton of items on Chinese sites, and has the latest coupon code(s) per item.

I am rolling the dice on long term warranty, I don't expect any coverage. After some research, I used PayPal to pay (easiest way to get money back in case of dispute), and also picked up insurance for ~$10 in case there is some initial damage.
this is the one you got right? https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi8-Mi- ... rehouse=HK
the description does say global ROM but doesn't support OTA. Does it mean that I need to manually install update every time? Is it easy to do so?
Dec 27, 2002
501 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga
janthe6th wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 11:16 pm
this is the one you got right? https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi8-Mi- ... rehouse=HK
the description does say global ROM but doesn't support OTA. Does it mean that I need to manually install update every time? Is it easy to do so?
No, I got this one.

EDIT: also, looks like the price is even cheaper now, mine was $408.50 USD, now down to $395.13 USD + shipping/insurance/etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2827 posts
300 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
fastmiele wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 9:57 pm
Look, if you are that concerned about getting a fake phone. Go the official Xiaomi store on Aliexpress. They are having the 11.11 sale in a couple weeks so its the right time for you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 510564.1_0
Just FYI that Xiaomi does not have any official web store on aliexpress or any websites other than their own.
Jul 20, 2016
779 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
HappyDaze wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 8:04 am
No, I got this one.

EDIT: also, looks like the price is even cheaper now, mine was $408.50 USD, now down to $395.13 USD + shipping/insurance/etc.
been thinking in get one - (btw pricing is showing 458.99 - might need to google a coupon) price wise seems the same they having on 11.11 deals at aliexpress

mind in update us about custom fees and delivery time?
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Dec 27, 2002
501 posts
90 upvotes
Mississauga
neonic wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 9:57 am
been thinking in get one - (btw pricing is showing 458.99 - might need to google a coupon) price wise seems the same they having on 11.11 deals at aliexpress

mind in update us about custom fees and delivery time?
Will do, it is estimated end of November, so we will see. Regarding coupons, I mentioned the couponsfromchina.com site which works well to find them.
May 17, 2008
137 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Another xiaomi user here. Have been using Mi Mix 2 for about a year now, and I couldn't be happier. By the time I bought this phone it was $300 USD off the original price so that helps too.
Feb 25, 2014
797 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
MSZsama wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 12:00 pm
Another xiaomi user here. Have been using Mi Mix 2 for about a year now, and I couldn't be happier. By the time I bought this phone it was $300 USD off the original price so that helps too.
The Mix 2 is a great value now. $375 Canadian from https://www.eglobalcentral.com/xiaomi-m ... -only.html and it has (almost) all NA bands.
Feb 25, 2014
797 posts
245 upvotes
Ottawa
habsfan9 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 12:32 pm
I was just looking at this a few minutes ago.
How is eglobalcentral re: shipping to Toronto?
I haven't bought from them but the reviews from these forums look positive. Shipping is free with no duty/tax charges.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
11764 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
MasterXan wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 6:56 am
I bought the phone in September.

The reps would probably know....

I didn't speak to any reps on the sales floor. Actually, I don't think there were any reps on the sales floor. The only people there were the cashiers and they'll get a new phone from the back when you need it.

I researched the phone before I got it so I knew what I was getting. Maybe you check out the specs on the Xiaomi Hk site first just to make sure. Also, keep in mind that the phones don't come with the north American style charging plug and there is no option to buy one at the store as they don't have any.
did the one you buy have OTA update?
[QUOTE]One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
[/QUOTE]

PSN: Aznkid2000
3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm
Mar 23, 2006
934 posts
173 upvotes
loserga wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 9:34 am
Just FYI that Xiaomi does not have any official web store on aliexpress or any websites other than their own.
Your right, I mistook it for official online store. Its not an official store, just a retailer.