• Jun 27th, 2016 3:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1794 posts
205 upvotes
NeverNeverLand
Forgot which model number we bought, but it was the top LG model without the steam washing. Wifey insisted on LG and I reluctantly went along with it. Damn it....it stopped working within a span of 4 weeks!!! The drain system burnt out and shorted the main board. Tech took 2 weeks to come and look at the thing, he ended up coming back a week later to repair it, but told us the main board was backordered for a month. I called our Sears rep, and said "take the damn thing back", but they said they'll give us a new one. OH, BTW the illumination on the dryer stopped working too, so they're exchanging both for us.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
frankyflwrs wrote: Forgot which model number we bought, but it was the top LG model without the steam washing. Wifey insisted on LG and I reluctantly went along with it. Damn it....it stopped working within a span of 4 weeks!!! The drain system burnt out and shorted the main board. Tech took 2 weeks to come and look at the thing, he ended up coming back a week later to repair it, but told us the main board was backordered for a month. I called our Sears rep, and said "take the damn thing back", but they said they'll give us a new one. OH, BTW the illumination on the dryer stopped working too, so they're exchanging both for us.
Funny, this has always been my fear about LG and Samsung - not backed up by any unbaised data and just an irrational fear. After some early experience of poor parts availability and product support with our Bosch kitchen appliances, I also worried - again, probably irrationally - about inadequate support for these brands (and others).

It's why we went - after some research - with the Kenmore Elite HE3t set. We've been happy and no service calls in 5+ years. That being said, we don't have the latest features (like steam) - but we could always swap the washer for a new model if we wanted to (I suppose).
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1393 posts
67 upvotes
London
We also bought Whirlpool Duet about 6 months ago. Key reasons:
- wash time = dry time. I don't know why but the GF finds that a bonus.
- size of the openings. All brands look similar from the outside but when you open the doors and reach in, the LG/Samsungs all seemed by comparison to be these tiny little portholes.

Paid around $650 for the dryer and $950 for the washer. Not fancy steam models -- we'd never use the refresh or sanitize feature.

Love them both -- the washer is so unbelievably quiet! Often can't even tell if it's running and need to look at the lights.

Only negative is that the Future Shop delivery/install guys were total a-holes. Withheld and disposed of the manuals, and though installation was a part of the deal they didn't bring a tool to unscrew the factory tub secure bolts and refused to use my vicegrips.

The sport line is fugly if you ask me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
Since RFD is about finding deals and saving money, I have to remind you that unless you can differentiate clothes washed by a Samsung or LG or cheapo off-brand washing machine in a blind test, there's no point spending extra money.

The key to getting clothes clean is to use the correct amount of detergent (as indicated on detergent container) and pre-soak for a day. These two items are the great equalizer between $1000+ washing machines and $500 washing machines.

There are stains that the $500 washing machine can't take out. But there's no guarantee the $1000+ washing machines can take out.

The big diff between $$$ washing machines and cheaper ones is build quality (durability) and features. But ask yourself, Will $1000+ washing machines last twice as long as a $500 washing machine? Will it cost the same to repair? And what if you bought 2 $500 washing machines instead of 1 $1000+ washing machine? And do you really need the $$$ features that you currently don't have/use?

The washing machine's job is to get clothes clean. The $1000+ ones won't get clothes twice as clean as $500 one. It's more about how you wash the clothes (correct detergent amount, pre-treat & soak) than the machine's brand & cost.
Jan 1, 2009
16 posts
Kitchener
You must be an accountant !
Don't forget the factor that my washer and dryer has to be twice as shiny and expensive than my neighbours and has to have a brand name.
May 12, 2004
984 posts
244 upvotes
I have the Samsung 337 washer/drier combo. It's the 1 model down from the 448. I've had it for 6 months and its great. No problems whatsoever and it looks sharp in dark grey colour along with older model lighter grey shade pedestals. Its on the main floor and very minimal vibration/noise from the washer. The VRT does really make a difference in comparison to my parent's Whirlpool Duet 9200 that I've used numerous times. And their's is in the basement on concrete. However it ends up being somewhat moot because its the dryer that is always the louder component.

For me wash time for a normal fullly packed load is 51min. The drying time auto adjusts based on dryness from washer. It starts out at 49-51min but never actually takes that long.
Aug 28, 2003
405 posts
Maple, ON
lol I guess we're on RFD for different reasons...I'm on RFD looking for deals and saving on products I actually want... :cheesygri

eelfliw wrote: Since RFD is about finding deals and saving money, I have to remind you that unless you can differentiate clothes washed by a Samsung or LG or cheapo off-brand washing machine in a blind test, there's no point spending extra money.

The key to getting clothes clean is to use the correct amount of detergent (as indicated on detergent container) and pre-soak for a day. These two items are the great equalizer between $1000+ washing machines and $500 washing machines.

There are stains that the $500 washing machine can't take out. But there's no guarantee the $1000+ washing machines can take out.

The big diff between $$$ washing machines and cheaper ones is build quality (durability) and features. But ask yourself, Will $1000+ washing machines last twice as long as a $500 washing machine? Will it cost the same to repair? And what if you bought 2 $500 washing machines instead of 1 $1000+ washing machine? And do you really need the $$$ features that you currently don't have/use?

The washing machine's job is to get clothes clean. The $1000+ ones won't get clothes twice as clean as $500 one. It's more about how you wash the clothes (correct detergent amount, pre-treat & soak) than the machine's brand & cost.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
milhouse6 wrote: Only negative is that the Future Shop delivery/install guys were total a-holes. Withheld and disposed of the manuals, and though installation was a part of the deal they didn't bring a tool to unscrew the factory tub secure bolts and refused to use my vicegrips.
You'll get better service/price buying at an appliance store than from Futuresnot.
Apr 6, 2004
476 posts
66 upvotes
coolspot wrote: You'll get better service/price buying at an appliance store than from Futuresnot.
Not true about prices around the GTA at least. Brian at Futureshop Oakville (bigfatdeal on this site) will give you a better price than any appliance store out there. I ordered the Samsung 337 laundry pair for $1999 and the Samsung RF267ABRS (stainless) fridge for $2370. I didn't even ask for a price match. I just asked what he could sell those appliances for and those were the numbers he gave me. These prices significantly beat Caplan's, Tasco, and Appliance Canada. I mentioned these prices to Tasco and they said it's below their cost! Unfortunately, Futureshop doesn't have a wide selection, so I'm still buying the majority of my appliances from Tasco, but for anything that Futureshop carries, I think it will be VERY tough to find a better price.

BTW OP: I went with the 337 pair, but I was quoted $3300 flat for the 448 pair including delivery, installation, pedestals, five year warranty, and all taxes. We weren't interested in steam, so we went with the 337, so I don't know how low he would go if you took away the pedestals, warranty, etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
j8lam wrote: Not true about prices around the GTA at least.
Futureshop does push LG/Samsung quite heavily, so perhaps they have additional price breaks.

However, I bought an LG Gas range recently, and I was able to get a price that was 15% lower than Futureshop's price. And on top of this, LG's current set of rebates are NOT valid at Futureshop.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1393 posts
67 upvotes
London
j8lam wrote: Not true about prices around the GTA at least.
Same here in London -- since we bought our appliances on separate transactions, I approached both sales guys already with what I considered reasonable low-ball pricing in my head -- what I was willing to pay all-in, after careful price research online and seeking pricematch opportunities. All I needed to ask was what "the best they could do" and in both cases they came in UNDER my lowball on first try.

I would have preferred to buy at the Bay but FS deserved the reward for coming in so low in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
eelfliw wrote: Since RFD is about finding deals and saving money, I have to remind you that unless you can differentiate clothes washed by a Samsung or LG or cheapo off-brand washing machine in a blind test, there's no point spending extra money.

Of course, I'd have a hard time justifying that $500 machine given how clean my clothes get when I just beat them against a rock. And even if the washer gets the clothes cleaner, since a rock is free, they'd have to be several billion times cleaner to justify the cost of the machine. Of course, once you factor into the equation the cost of the axe to cut through the ice in the winter, it narrows the comparison somewhat...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
milhouse6 wrote: We also bought Whirlpool Duet about 6 months ago.

Paid around $650 for the dryer and $950 for the washer. Not fancy steam models -- we'd never use the refresh or sanitize feature.

Love them both -- the washer is so unbelievably quiet! Often can't even tell if it's running and need to look at the lights.
Owned a pair of Duets (9400), washer is excellent built quality (made in Germany), but dryer is not worth the money. I hope you don't dry your loads at night - it's that noisy. Getting a pair of Samsung (448) for the new home. GL
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes

CaptSmethwick wrote: Of course, I'd have a hard time justifying that $500 machine given how clean my clothes get when I just beat them against a rock. And even if the washer gets the clothes cleaner, since a rock is free, they'd have to be several billion times cleaner to justify the cost of the machine. Of course, once you factor into the equation the cost of the axe to cut through the ice in the winter, it narrows the comparison somewhat...
That is a fairly good attempt at a comically clever post, Capt.

It's only because eelfliw's original post was already so well thought out and written that it fails.

I've been using a bottom of the line Kenmore washer-dryer set for over 15 years, and they still work like a charm. Of course, they don't look like candy-coloured spaceships, but they get the job done just fine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
time space wrote: That is a fairly good attempt at a comically clever post, Capt.

It's only because eelfliw's original post was already so well thought out and written that it fails.

I've been using a bottom of the line Kenmore washer-dryer set for over 15 years, and they still work like a charm. Of course, they don't look like candy-coloured spaceships, but they get the job done just fine.
I apparently made my point too obscure.

Washing machines (and, to a lesser extent, dryers) are about quality of laundering, convenience, and other performance characteristics - one of which is cost per load over a machine's expected lifetime. Others include operating decibel and decibels levels, water and energy usage, load capacity, etc. Every one of us is going to place a different weight on each of these and is going to end up with a different choice.

We chose front load when our old set started to become unreliable (for example the dryer required a motor, bushings, belt, and element) and were past the point of being worth the repair investment. We chose front load because we live on a well and have a septic tank and are very conscious about the amount of water and detergent used. Front load machines win handily on both counts. After that, the model we chose was based on our perceptions of utility, reliability, after-sales service, and features (in that order). A big plus for us with the Kenmore Elite HE3t (at that time) was that it could swallow a queen-size comforter - something unheard of in any consumer-model top-load.

So, this is what I was trying to say - I apologize for my earlier failure. :o
Dec 10, 2008
231 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
I was at Bay Yorkdale yesterday and they had the Frigidaire Affinity 8000 series washer-dryer pair for a good price. The salesman rated it very highly. Any feedback on this pair?
Thanks
MS
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1082 posts
255 upvotes
toronto181 wrote: I was at Bay Yorkdale yesterday and they had the Frigidaire Affinity 8000 series washer-dryer pair for a good price. The salesman rated it very highly. Any feedback on this pair?
Thanks
MS

I have never had luck with any Frigidaire appliances so went with LG for everything in our new house and couldn't be happier. The Tromm washer and dryer have been fantastic with zero of the complaints you hear from others. Also, when I bought, they came with a two year factory warranty.
Jun 2, 2008
58 posts
5 upvotes
j8lam wrote: Not true about prices around the GTA at least. Brian at Futureshop Oakville (bigfatdeal on this site) will give you a better price than any appliance store out there. I ordered the Samsung 337 laundry pair for $1999 and the Samsung RF267ABRS (stainless) fridge for $2370. I didn't even ask for a price match. I just asked what he could sell those appliances for and those were the numbers he gave me. These prices significantly beat Caplan's, Tasco, and Appliance Canada. I mentioned these prices to Tasco and they said it's below their cost! Unfortunately, Futureshop doesn't have a wide selection, so I'm still buying the majority of my appliances from Tasco, but for anything that Futureshop carries, I think it will be VERY tough to find a better price.
In Ottawa, my 2 FS didn't want to sell me the Samsung 337 pair for $1999 (or lower) even though I showed them my receipt from the Brick for that price. Best my FS would do was $2100 + $60 delivery. Even went during one of their F&F sales, what a joke.
Oct 30, 2005
312 posts
14 upvotes
Victoria, BC
We just bought the Samsung WF448 after about a month of research.
May 12, 2004
984 posts
244 upvotes
E39S62 wrote: In Ottawa, my 2 FS didn't want to sell me the Samsung 337 pair for $1999 (or lower) even though I showed them my receipt from Corbeil for that price. Best my FS would do was $2100 + $60 delivery. Even went during one of their F&F sales, what a joke.
Did you get a package with that or were you just trying for a combo? Anything under $2200 for the 337 pair is a good deal IMO. Reg prices are higher. I got it $2100 with open box pedastals. You may want to try a packaged deal to include extras and/or PSP to get it lowered. PSP on appliances built nowadays is probably a good idea.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)