• Jan 25th, 2018 3:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
541 posts
24 upvotes

what's the best mastercard? +fee/No Fee

I'm looking for a master card (there's reasons it cannot be visa/amex). I already have BMO World Elite, with my wife, but I need one just for myself.
Preferably the card comes with lounge access (My wife is the primary card holder for BMO World Elite, so we only get 4 priority passes in total)
Any recommendations on which card to get?
12 replies
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
541 posts
24 upvotes
Altera wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 11:17 pm
HSBC Jade
Is this the best out there? It doesn't give you free lounge access even though you gotta pay $150 for the card
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1276 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
Sure go for the HSBC Jade, if you have a spare $1,000,000 lying around to invest or deposit, because that's what the Jade card requires.

But Altera is right, if you want a Mastercard with unlimited lounge access, there isn't much else.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
541 posts
24 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 12:31 am
Sure go for the HSBC Jade, if you have a spare $1,000,000 lying around to invest or deposit, because that's what the Jade card requires.

But Altera is right, if you want a Mastercard with unlimited lounge access, there isn't much else.
considering BMO Master gives 4 lounge access and couple signing bonus, I thought I could get something decent, and it's free if you have BMO prem chequeing account.
But it sounds like there isn't much CC like this one.
Apr 23, 2017
222 posts
163 upvotes
chinmoku_tak wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 12:37 am
considering BMO Master gives 4 lounge access and couple signing bonus, I thought I could get something decent, and it's free if you have BMO prem chequeing account.
But it sounds like there isn't much CC like this one.
The BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard is a top-tier card. Even though we bash it a lot lately because of the devaluation in points earning, it still is in the top-tier of premium cards as it has good insurance cover, Priority Pass membership with 4 lounge passes, a competitive earn rate, looks nice, and one can get the annual fee waived in various ways, one of which you mention (BMO Premium Chequing account).

As regards MasterCard products, I would agree the only other one is the HSBC 'Jade' World Elite. It does have unlimited free access to lounges for cardholder and a guest. The standard HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard (requires 100k with HSBC) does not have free lounge access (costs US$27 per visit), but the new rarer cousin of that card - the elusive 'Jade' variant - which requires $1 MM invested with HSBC, does have unlimited free lounge access and competes with the Amex Platinum Card.

If one lives in Montreal the National Bank World Elite MasterCard gives free unlimited lounge access to National Bank's own lounge at Montreal airport (but not to other lounges).

Outside of MasterCard:

The Amex Platinum Card gives Priority Pass and unlimited free lounge access.

The Visa Infinite Privilege cards from RBC (and TD & CIBC's Aeroplan Infinite Privilege versions too I think) give free Priority Pass membership and lounge passes (6 per year). After using the six you have to pay for additional access. These cards require household income of $200k to get.

As far as I know, unlimited free global lounge access is only offered by the Amex Platinum Card and by the HSBC Jade World Elite MasterCard.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2006
541 posts
24 upvotes
HermanH wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 1:01 am
The BMO Rewards World Elite MasterCard is a top-tier card. Even though we bash it a lot lately because of the devaluation in points earning, it still is in the top-tier of premium cards as it has good insurance cover, Priority Pass membership with 4 lounge passes, a competitive earn rate, looks nice, and one can get the annual fee waived in various ways, one of which you mention (BMO Premium Chequing account).

As regards MasterCard products, I would agree the only other one is the HSBC 'Jade' World Elite. It does have unlimited free access to lounges for cardholder and a guest. The standard HSBC Premier World Elite MasterCard (requires 100k with HSBC) does not have free lounge access (costs US$27 per visit), but the new rarer cousin of that card - the elusive 'Jade' variant - which requires $1 MM invested with HSBC, does have unlimited free lounge access and competes with the Amex Platinum Card.

If one lives in Montreal the National Bank World Elite MasterCard gives free unlimited lounge access to National Bank's own lounge at Montreal airport (but not to other lounges).

Outside of MasterCard:

The Amex Platinum Card gives Priority Pass and unlimited free lounge access.

The Visa Infinite Privilege cards from RBC (and TD & CIBC's Aeroplan Infinite Privilege versions too I think) give free Priority Pass membership and lounge passes (6 per year). After using the six you have to pay for additional access. These cards require household income of $200k to get.

As far as I know, unlimited free global lounge access is only offered by the Amex Platinum Card and by the HSBC Jade World Elite MasterCard.
Thanks for your input. I've never heard of Jade, looking at the site, I think I was getting mixed up with premier world elite. How is Jade? It's interesting how I haven't heard of this card poping up in any of the credit card review site.
Unfortunately for the purpose of my purchase, it has to be a master card, so I was looking for the best ones I could get.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1276 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
chinmoku_tak wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 9:04 am
How is Jade? It's interesting how I haven't heard of this card poping up in any of the credit card review site.
I wasn't joking when I said you need to deposit or invest $1,000,000 with HSBC to get it. That really is required. That makes it the most exclusive credit card in Canada, which is why you won't see a lot of common folk discussing it.

http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/banking ... d-overview
Oct 26, 2016
149 posts
106 upvotes
chinmoku_tak wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 10:49 pm
I'm looking for a master card (there's reasons it cannot be visa/amex). I already have BMO World Elite, with my wife, but I need one just for myself.
Preferably the card comes with lounge access (My wife is the primary card holder for BMO World Elite, so we only get 4 priority passes in total)
Any recommendations on which card to get?
WestJet World Elite is a possible contender. For those that can make use of the full range of perks, WJ comes with the annual companion voucher, never pay for luggage on WestJet, LoungeKey, and the RBC/Petro promo where you get 3 cents off at Petro and 20% more Petro Points. While the 1.5% earn rate is nothing special, combined with the 20% more petro points and the 3 cents savings per liter, it will edge out 4% cash-back cards ever so slightly. The math I've put together puts it roughly equal to a 4% earn rate card at 1.3 cents / Litre, and the better option at lower prices.

I haven't used the LoungeKey before (just churned the card and LoungeKey is new in the last number of months), but my understanding is that it's like Priority Pass in that they pay the membership, and you pay a nominal fee for lounge access. I think it's the only card in Canada with the Mastercard LoungeKey feature.
May 8, 2009
3159 posts
990 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
For MC, no fee I'd say:
  • Tangerine for the 2 or 3 categories (no cap on the 2%)
  • Rogers/Fido for the bigger CB on paying in foreign currency
Tangerine has extended warranty AFAIK, Rogers/Fido doesn't. But if you're spending in foreign currency, you probably don't care about warranty (unless your lifestyle pushes you to buy appliances, furniture or electronics with international warranty in the States for personal use). If you want to go the no fee route, your best bet is probably to grab both.

For MC with annual fee, looks like HSBC Jade (if you qualify), BMO WE are popular picks. I think MBNA WE is a worthy mention. Has 2% CB on everything no cap, $89 annual fee (affordable, sort of FYF because they charge $89 but you get $100 back in rewards on first transaction) and most importantly has the unique price guarantee feature. I guess saves the hassle of going back to the retailer for a reprice if a price drops (plus retailer may require a full return before honouring a re-price, or may outright refuse). There are limits on their PM feature but it seems nifty. I'm sure some RFDers have figured out how to exploit it.

Honourable mentions on Visa would be Scotia Momentum and TD CB Infinite. Both have big CB %'s. TD has the higher annual fee, but includes roadside assistance complete coverage. Can't find a MC that compares to that.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Aug 16, 2008
61 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 9:17 am
I wasn't joking when I said you need to deposit or invest $1,000,000 with HSBC to get it. That really is required. That makes it the most exclusive credit card in Canada, which is why you won't see a lot of common folk discussing it.

http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/banking ... d-overview
Not a problem for many RFDers according to the salary threads ;)