Off Topic

What's the best way to find new friends in Canada ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2019 3:54 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2015
369 posts
33 upvotes
ON

What's the best way to find new friends in Canada ?

What's the best way to find new friends in Canada ? Hang out places in Whitby/ Oshawa area ?
Be positive & stay blessed :)
30 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2540 posts
373 upvotes
Whitby
I have been in Whitby a long time - the hang out places I know are probably not the hang out places of today (most aren't even around anymore).

Sit in my back yard and bbq every weekend. Stop by for a beer.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4503 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
sh8wh4sg wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:59 am
What's the best way to find new friends in Canada ? Hang out places in Whitby/ Oshawa area ?
No, if I wanted to find new friends, I don't think I'd look in Whitby. Try Toronto, or a meetup event in the suburbs, there's lots of fun ones for pretty much any interest group.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9413 posts
6711 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Get out there...
That’s step one, new friends don’t just appear on your doorstep

Get involved in your community (volunteering)
Follow an interest / passion ... join a club / group dedicated to it
Join a Sports Team
Take a course or workshop (preferably one that lasts several days or a semester)

The more activities you take on
The more people you meet
And the higher chances you’ll have of finding like minded persons who can become friends
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12514 posts
1903 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Dog walking on a regular basis. U see other dog owners regularly at the dog park, so u can chit chat. Same idea with regard to children. U go to the same playground and chit chat with other parents. If u go to a gym, u chit chat with regulars about their muscles, bjj, or nutrition, etc. U can try getting to know ur neighbours. U can meet co-workers after work for food/drinks or talk about TV shows during break.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7691 posts
716 upvotes
8 minutes from Vanco…
Www.meetup.com app has been super helpful on a recent relocation. Key is pushing yourself to go to events. Easier if you can enjoy a good pub night as alcohol always helps.

Set a goal. Go to one or two meet ups a week, more if you can. Do not rsvp and no show it ruins it.

The iOS app is pretty good and automatically adds events to your calendar
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Jul 24, 2019
64 posts
81 upvotes
Canada
OP go to the Dollar Tree in Whitby or Oshawa. Or Giant Tiger in Whitby or Oshawa.
Jan 10, 2009
786 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I third using Meetup.com groups. I signed up to a load when I first arrived in the country and made many long term friends. You're going to things with other people with the same interests, rather than just pubs and the like and hoping you hit it off. Join some clubs.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1989 posts
660 upvotes
Winnipeg
One word - community. It could be the local community or people from your country of origin. Hobby groups, and then you also have common topic to talk about when you invite them over. If you have children, then school community is a good place.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2927 posts
1445 upvotes
Burlington
Becks wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 4:24 am
Dog walking on a regular basis. U see other dog owners regularly at the dog park, so u can chit chat. Same idea with regard to children. U go to the same playground and chit chat with other parents. If u go to a gym, u chit chat with regulars about their muscles, bjj, or nutrition, etc. U can try getting to know ur neighbours. U can meet co-workers after work for food/drinks or talk about TV shows during break.
Yes OP I would encourage you to go to the park alone and talk to parents about their children. 10/10 advice. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12514 posts
1903 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Community centres. They have activities like ballroom dancing.
Places of worship.
Fitness classes like yoga, zoomba, etc.
Community litter pickups.
Enviromental activism groups.
Political party affiliations, candidate campaign volunteer work.
Toastmaster.
Karaoke night at pubs.
Soup kitchen volunteeering.
Running groups thru Running Room or whatever.
Taking interesting photos of youself and posting these on social media, which elicits ppl sliding into ur DMs.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
1356 posts
617 upvotes
Vancouver
Are you sure looking for plain frd
Not sex frd?