Health & Wellness

What's better: Separate Shampoo AND Conditioner, or a 2-in-1?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2015 11:11 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill

What's better: Separate Shampoo AND Conditioner, or a 2-in-1?

Do you use separate shampoo and conditioner, or a 2-in-1?

I remember being told years ago that 2-in-1s aren't good for your hair because the compounds used to help keep the two components mixed together can cause damage to your hair. This is anecdotal, I have no proof for this one way or the other.

Although it's true that the shampoo and conditioner can separate from each other (have you ever left a bottle of 2-in-1 sitting around for such a long time that it separated into phases and you had to shake the bottle to get everything mixed again? - I have), and I even tried making my own 2-in-1 once by mixing them together (it did not go well :lol :) .

2-in-1s are obviously more convenient, especially if you're travelling and space/weight are at a premium, but that's not really a concern when you're at home.

So which do you prefer, and why?
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
22 replies
Mar 5, 2012
10 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Separates. If you wash your hair everyday, shampooing can take its toll and wreck your hair texture ( saw it mentioned in a mag and/or Dr. Oz. My mother washes her hair every morning but was complaining how her texture became worse over time, so I suggested everyday conditioning and to only use the shampoo 3-4 times a week. She ended up with much softer hair that wasn't any less clean.

In my case, my hair can get so dry and sometimes breaks that I'm in need of weekly treatments (deep moisturizing or protein) there's always a need for the special conditioning powers 2-in-1 do provide as well as a separate does.
May 2, 2011
82 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
Normally, I only use separates.

However, my sister recently gave me a bottle of WEN (maybe you've seen the infomercials?) which is a "cleansing conditioner" instead of shampoo and conditioner. My hair feels very soft and looks healthy - people have noticed and commented on it...
2013 WINS: 2 Run-of-engagement passes to To The Wonder, $25 Rocco's Plum Tomato GC, 2 Tix Mill St Beer Hall GO
2012 WINS: 100g Lindt bar, EXCEL mug, 300g Lindt bar, Turbo Tax Online, $75 STC GC, $125 Best Buy GC, 2 passes to MTCC Yoga Show, Lunch @ 3 Brewers, Cool Beer Brewing GB
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kihana wrote: Separates. If you wash your hair everyday, shampooing can take its toll and wreck your hair texture ( saw it mentioned in a mag and/or Dr. Oz. My mother washes her hair every morning but was complaining how her texture became worse over time, so I suggested everyday conditioning and to only use the shampoo 3-4 times a week. She ended up with much softer hair that wasn't any less clean.

In my case, my hair can get so dry and sometimes breaks that I'm in need of weekly treatments (deep moisturizing or protein) there's always a need for the special conditioning powers 2-in-1 do provide as well as a separate does.

I have pretty short hair, so brittleness and split ends don't tend to be a concern for me. Nonetheless I still conditioning whenever I wash hair.

My main concern is whether a 2-in-1 specifically can be harmful (or perhaps not as useful), as opposed to using a conditioner after washing your hair.
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
YertletheTurtle wrote: Normally, I only use separates.

However, my sister recently gave me a bottle of WEN (maybe you've seen the infomercials?) which is a "cleansing conditioner" instead of shampoo and conditioner. My hair feels very soft and looks healthy - people have noticed and commented on it...

No, I haven't seen that. So how is a "cleansing conditioner" different from a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yamahar6 wrote: Forget about those OTC products

OTC = over-the-counter

You mean off-the-shelf?
May 2, 2011
82 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
ronin1701 wrote: No, I haven't seen that. So how is a "cleansing conditioner" different from a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner?

I don't think it is different per se (its a 2-in-1 without being marketed as such) ...WEN apparently is made without sulphates and other harsh chemicals in most shampoos.
2013 WINS: 2 Run-of-engagement passes to To The Wonder, $25 Rocco's Plum Tomato GC, 2 Tix Mill St Beer Hall GO
2012 WINS: 100g Lindt bar, EXCEL mug, 300g Lindt bar, Turbo Tax Online, $75 STC GC, $125 Best Buy GC, 2 passes to MTCC Yoga Show, Lunch @ 3 Brewers, Cool Beer Brewing GB
Nov 7, 2011
773 posts
34 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I use a shampoo and conditioner. My hair is so dry that I need a separate conditioner lol. But then my hair gets SUPER oily throughout the day. Maybe it's because I've been using shampoo everyday :'(

Edit: My hair is probably dry because I've had it treated a lot of times, going jet black (I have natural brown hair) then going blonde lol Back and forth because I'm never satisfied with my hair color T_T
CUTE PICS <3
http://tinyurl.com/cppxpvx & http://tinyurl.com/c4jbapt
WTB: BNIB BB Bold 9900 | Holt Renfrew GC
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1298 posts
1125 upvotes
I'm a girl with hair pass my shoulders and I actually never use conditioner. I just can't stand the greasy feeling and I like a squeeky clean feel.
I use a large tooth comb to detangle and never have issues. The only slight inconvenience is that in winter, I seem to be getting a lot more "static" hair or flyaways.

If my hair is in need of some moisture, of if I have some big knots, then I'll opt for a 2 -1 or conditioner for the affected area.

Like another poster implied, there's lots of great shampoo bars or "natural" formulas that won't strip your hair and won't necessitate conditioner.
I used to buy a salt based homemade shampoo off Etsy and it did real wonders. It just became too expensive after a while..
Jan 12, 2008
29 posts
10 upvotes
Burlington
I try not to wash my hair more then twice a week. The condition of my hair has greatly improve since I have cut back on the washing. I always use seperates as I never want conditioner near my roots. It weighs down the hair way too much.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2288 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
I use seperate. If I use 2 in 1 my hair goes nuts...
. : PrincessD : .
Aug 4, 2012
11 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Separate. I deep condition twice a month. I wash my hair every other day but it's really frizzy so I'm considering washing every three days and increasing deep conditioning.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've never used the two-in-ones. I wash my hair just about every day, very rarely do I use conditioner. I don't like that "coated" feeling either. I think it's important to change shampoo periodically. It seems like your scalp gets used to one and doesn't work as well after extended use.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
614 posts
28 upvotes
TORONTO
Obviously it should be separate. Then you will get much effective result than 2 in 1. And true to say i don't trust on 2 in 1 in this case.
Sep 12, 2012
50 posts
MISSISSAUGA
I am using shampoo+conditioner two in one.When i starting to use both shampoo and conditioner my hair looks so glassy.
Banned
Mar 12, 2010
1281 posts
53 upvotes
Aurora
Where do you find their products locally? Shipping is $20 flat rate for under $80 in products. And I'm not sure what the duties situation would be when it passes the boarder. Looks as the use a courier, are they more susceptible to duties rather than Canada Post?