• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2016 1:39 am
Tags:
None
Jun 11, 2006
106 posts
42 upvotes

what's better unlocked phone with cheap plan, or to sign a contract

I recently signed with fido's loyalty pulse plan, but needed to get a new phone.

problem is all these unlocked phones without contracts are soo pricey.

so i figured on getting something less up to date

what are ppl's thoughts on getting one of these older phones
Asus ZenFone 2
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VWK ... EEQB&psc=1

or Samsung galaxy S5
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00J4T ... J2QW&psc=1

OR to bite the bullet and sign a new contract
12 replies
Nov 28, 2007
560 posts
248 upvotes
Etobicoke
It's a tough call, would really be based on what price you can get an unlocked phone for.

With the new laws, the contract can't be for more than 2 years, so if you know you aren't switching, moving, or anything like that for the next 2 years, it might be worth getting a brand new current gen phone for the lower contract price.

I guess you need to ask yourself, what is turning you off from a contract right now? Is it just the idea of being locked into one?

Looking at the links you provided for those phones (S5 not the Asus), there are a fair number of negative reviews. Personally I would go with a new phone directly from fido on one of their contracts. At least this way if the phone doesn't work, or has issues, I can get it replaced through them. Peace of mind is pretty important to me when making purchases of $300+ items.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
5069 posts
3306 upvotes
I'm not sure a "new" smartphone around those prices or higher are really worth it. Depending on your risk tolerance, I usually think you're better off buying the previous years model of a phone you want through eBay or a trusted seller on RFD as the savings can be quite significant. Personally, I'd say phones in the last 2, maybe even 3 years or so, still run just about everything perfectly.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
I always go for the cheapest plan if possible. Plans have been steadily increasing in the last 5 years, and they usually let you keep your old plan until you want to get a phone from them. Keep in mind, the increased price plan take into account the cost of the phone, so most of the time, paying full retail price with a 50$ plan, is exactly the same as signing up on a 75$ plan with a reduced cost phone (assuming the plans are exactly the same). You start losing when your contract is done, and you stay month to month due the the high cost of the plan.
Jan 11, 2014
212 posts
47 upvotes
monchhichipk wrote: I recently signed with fido's loyalty pulse plan, but needed to get a new phone.

problem is all these unlocked phones without contracts are soo pricey.

so i figured on getting something less up to date

what are ppl's thoughts on getting one of these older phones
Asus ZenFone 2
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VWK ... EEQB&psc=1

or Samsung galaxy S5
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00J4T ... J2QW&psc=1

OR to bite the bullet and sign a new contract
Between the two phones, Samsung Galaxy S5 is a better phone, just for the name alone. I just sold my S5 for $300.

You can also checked out Staples, Walmart or even London Drugs for unlocked phones.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Cheap plan all day long.
If you can't afford a phone you want directly you have no business buying it.
By signing some of these ridiculous contracts you're locked into a perpetual cycle of having terrible plans.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
You need to run the numbers in Excel and see over a 2 year period, what option has the greater cost savings.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
It's like cars, buying used and owning it versus leasing, except the lease price keeps continuing in a cell contract if you don't do anything about it.

If you have a cheap enough cell plan, the longer you keep an unlocked phone you own the more you save. But as suggested above, you do have to do the math to see that it applies to you.

Companies will always recoup the full cost of a subsidized phone, that's why contracts cost so much. At the end of contract, it is in your best interest to reduce the plan through retentions as the phone will have been paid for yet you are still paying the high monthly fee. Either that or continue the cycle of a newer phone to use or sell off.

Asian androids have come a long way, eg; Blackview R7 and Huawei P9, but those are probably more than what you want. My friend just sold her LG G4 for $350, that's an excellent phone only one generation behind the latest G5.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9134 posts
7079 upvotes
West GTEH!
IMO, I always go for cheaper plan (no data). I hated signing up on contracts because you're locked-in (previously before the rules changed). Now I avoid contracts and go M2M.
My vote would go with the S5. My wife has this phone and she really likes it.
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1878 posts
810 upvotes
Winnipeg
Buy a cheap plan that fits your needs and an unlocked cheap android phone such as Alcatel or Xiomi or something else.. all run android OS, just make sure whichever you get has latest OS level..unless you want an apple.. that's my 2 cents.. all of them breaks/drops unless you take care of them really well and gets outdated pretty soon.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21707 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Signing a contract is great, but only if you have other services that you don't mind paying for.
ie Rogers cable + internet + phone in a bundle is an automatic 8% off your cell phone bill.
When you have more than one service with Rogers, they tend to go deeper with the overall discounts.
(ie free PVR rental, free modem rental etc)

If it's just one stand alone cell phone service, you might be able to just go to a flea market or something and pick up a cheap used or refurbished phone.
Claim no shame in being one or two behind the "in" phone.
If it does the job it does the job. (ie Samsung 7 is in now. The S5 is still a great phone...I still use an S4, lol)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)