• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2014 9:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 6, 2014
1 posts

What's with Canada Post's incompetence?

I was told this a great place to vent, and I am new, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I just needed to vent a bit. I ordered a package a little while ago, after the holiday of course. I paid 50.00 extra for "Express" post and was shown an expected delivery date of the 6th. Okay, it's the 7th, not exactly a year after the delivery date. BUT, upon contacting CP's "customer service" and simply asking if he could tell me which PROVINCE my parcel was in, I received the verbal shrug. "It's somewhere in our network". M'kay.....so it's somewhere BC and Ontario, and the tracking site is so vague that I literally lol'd. This is the 3rd time this crap has happened! And thus far I've only ever purchased 4 times on line!!!!! I get the feeling that Canada Post couldn't deliver bad news during the apocalypse, nor could they find their own a%$ with both hands if they tried. Are they REALLY this incompetent? I don't live out in the boonies, we're not in the middle of nowhere, yet for some unknown reason Canada Post has managed to screw up almost every single order I have placed by either delivering late, or not delivering at all. And when I call about it, I get some numbnut on the other end of the phone who simply reads back to me the oh-so-lacking information I have already received and am calling about, coupled with an empty apology and a "just wait, it'll be there sooner or later" attitude. Not only that, but their "standard delivery date" says 3 days, yet their "expected delivery date" completely overrides the standard by pretty much saying "It may come early, it may come late, deal with it". This is all wrapped up in the fact that our mail delivery person couldn't be more lazy, going as far as to gain entry to our building and not even bother coming up to the SECOND floor to drop off a delivery that was about the size of a regular envelope, and equal the weight. These nimrods actually have a monopoly? But HOW? They're not doing their jobs. And the constant strikes about money would be fine if they actually gave a reason for an increase in pay....THEY ONLY DO 2% OF THE WORK!!!! One of the worst services around.

Anyhow, feeling a little better. Thanks for reading.
32 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31127 posts
5882 upvotes
Ottawa
Canad Post tracking is the same as everybody else. They can show where the parcel is when it checks into a depot or out of a depot. when in transit, it is in transit (somewhere between BC and Ontario depots).
In the past few days, everybody (including Fedex and UPS) has been disrupted by airport shutdowns or slowdowns in many cities in Canada and the US. The roads have been closed or slowed down too. Even trains have stopped running in some places. The Southern Ontario region has been slowed down since before Christmas and the ice storm.
I understand this is a P off and especially if you are looking forward to getting your parcel and, that fact you paid extra but, weather is a non refundable cause for delay. So, I hope you got it out of your system with your vent but, there are good, valid reasons for all shipping to be delayed and affected.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Jan 21, 2007
108 posts
12 upvotes
Yes Canada Post service is definitely going downhill.

Tracking is not great with UPS sometimes either. That I can forgive them

With our regular mail which is not much these days as we go electronic on most of the things if not all, we often receive someone else's stuff. It's clearly have someone else's address on it. We have to drop them off to the right address or just put it back in the mailbox. It happens regularly. If I get someone else's stuff, I often wonder if I get all MY stuff.

Monday we supposed to receive a parcel. We arrange to stay home and wait for it. It's big and up to 50 lbs. So we are ready to go help the mailman when he arrives. Guess what he didn't even bother to ring the door bell (Intercom for us)!!! At the end of the day I went to check the mailbox. There is a delivery notice for it. It's at the CP outlet. We thought we may have missed the intercom ring.

Next day I ran into the mailman and he says he admitted that he didn't ring the bell. He said it's too heavy for him and he blamed me for buying big thing like this. I told him had he rang the bell, we would come and take it off directly from his truck. He wouldn't even need to lift a thing. He said he didn't need to ring. No apologies whatsoever.

These days they deliver 80% junk mail and maybe 20% real mail. If he can't deliver parcel or get the right equipment to deliver parcels. Canada Post will be out of business very soon. That's why UPS and Fedex are making record profits and CP is losing by billions.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4786 posts
390 upvotes
Victoria
Took them 1 year to install mailboxes in my neighborhood. 1 freaking year. I had to go to the postal station to pickup the mail every week and everytime I had to explain to the idiots that my mail is being held. It would take 15 minutes and multiple people to get my damn mail. My MP is a dipper so no help there, I'm on the do not help list.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
675 upvotes
Shhanada
Frenetic1911 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 5:35 pm
I was told this a great place to vent, and I am new, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I just needed to vent a bit. I ordered a package a little while ago, after the holiday of course. I paid 50.00 extra for "Express" post and was shown an expected delivery date of the 6th. Okay, it's the 7th, not exactly a year after the delivery date. BUT, upon contacting CP's "customer service" and simply asking if he could tell me which PROVINCE my parcel was in, I received the verbal shrug. "It's somewhere in our network". M'kay.....so it's somewhere BC and Ontario, and the tracking site is so vague that I literally lol'd. This is the 3rd time this crap has happened! And thus far I've only ever purchased 4 times on line!!!!! I get the feeling that Canada Post couldn't deliver bad news during the apocalypse, nor could they find their own a%$ with both hands if they tried. Are they REALLY this incompetent? I don't live out in the boonies, we're not in the middle of nowhere, yet for some unknown reason Canada Post has managed to screw up almost every single order I have placed by either delivering late, or not delivering at all. And when I call about it, I get some numbnut on the other end of the phone who simply reads back to me the oh-so-lacking information I have already received and am calling about, coupled with an empty apology and a "just wait, it'll be there sooner or later" attitude. Not only that, but their "standard delivery date" says 3 days, yet their "expected delivery date" completely overrides the standard by pretty much saying "It may come early, it may come late, deal with it". This is all wrapped up in the fact that our mail delivery person couldn't be more lazy, going as far as to gain entry to our building and not even bother coming up to the SECOND floor to drop off a delivery that was about the size of a regular envelope, and equal the weight. These nimrods actually have a monopoly? But HOW? They're not doing their jobs. And the constant strikes about money would be fine if they actually gave a reason for an increase in pay....THEY ONLY DO 2% OF THE WORK!!!! One of the worst services around.

Anyhow, feeling a little better. Thanks for reading.
Addressing the first 90% of your post, I'm sympathetic but my experience has been mostly quite different. Canada Post does an amazing job of getting mail and packages around the 2nd largest country in the world, with possibly the harshest weather. I'm a bit skeptical that you paid $50 "extra" for express post, that would imply a pretty big/heavy package. Can you post your receipt to give some additional background and/or credibility?

I will say however that there have been some times when I have purchased the faster/better service and it didn't arrive on time. The good news then is you get a fairly quick and easy refund. If you really did pay in excess of $50, that will at least be a nice free shipping for you.

As Pete_coach told you, tracking is the same as most of the industry, where you can see station point events but nothing in between.

Now you say this has happened to you many times, which again is starting to stretch my belief. I know it happens, but to have it happened repeatedly and consecutively is starting to sound less believable.

Then you say the people you called were numbuts. That's how I know you are probably not being fully truthful or rational. When I've had similar situations and used the service lines, most people are quite good and helpful and sympathetic. They will issue you a case number and they will contact the nearest depots, and will give you updates until it's located/delivered. I know this from personal experience.

Next you complain about them not wandering your apartment building to hand deliver something. Sorry but that's against policy, and it's not something that you and/or your shipper paid for. Like or not, they are to deliver to your mailbox, where ever that may be. Most people wouldn't want a postal carrier rumbling through their condo hallways every day, making noise and tracking muck in.

You calling everyone names throughout your post further erodes your credibility and any sense of reasonable-ness.

Finally you spout those lies about postal workers constantly going on strike for money. That's just a factual lie. Most postal "strikes" haven't been strikes at all, they've been lockouts, after the employer has forced the workers to work for over a year with no contract. And claiming it's over money is a further lie. Most of the contract settlements have had more to do with working conditions and job security. But thanks to fact-avoid-loud-mouth-union-bashing people like yourself, their jobs are all being killed anyway. Come back in here in 3 years and you'll complain about how private companies like UPS are giving worse service at sky jacked prices thanks to the generous monopoly they've just been handed. Try getting a plumber, tow truck, or carpenter to show up without an advance agreement on what they will be paid. Try putting gas in your car without paying first.

Lastly, your estimate of postal workers doing only "2%" of the work is based on what facts?

If you truly care about your package, have someone reasonable and rational call on your behalf and politely escalate if necessary. Your package will be found and delivered, and you'll get a full refund and apology. That's if the root part of your message was true. I await you posting your receipt to confirm....
Jan 9, 2011
307 posts
129 upvotes
Montreal, QC
OP never to be heard from again...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1948 posts
847 upvotes
Prince George
On Dec. 15 and 22 (two separate purchases) I ordered on Sunday and the parcel was delivered to my door by Canada Post Tuesday. This was standard free shipping (Amazon.ca and Best Buy). It absolutely blew me away that I could order something Dec 22 in the early afternoon and have it delivered Dec 24. So YMMV.

Granted their tracking is haywire (on the second purchase, for example, it showed the shipping information entered Dec 21 in the evening, not quite a day before I actually placed the order) but I've had nothing but good service here.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
118 upvotes
Kitchener
What a farce. Canada Post is a complete joke
Aug 8, 2010
234 posts
54 upvotes
Ironic I saw this thread

I wanted to send 2 packages to the USA today

First I had to buy a roll of tape to seal the tops of the boxes, no biggie but I ship stuff often and usually they will let me use theirs.. The lady said they had none to let me use as they are out of supplies

The kicker was that they only had 1 US standard shipping label left unless I wanted the more expensive method... Really??? 1 label left? She said they have ordered more supplies and labels but haven't received them yet..

What a joke

I left and used another service
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5574 posts
1259 upvotes
BC
27kingston wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 9:09 pm
What a farce. Canada Post is a complete joke
You might do well to re-read SurplusPlus's rational response to the OP's diatribe (which I must admit I don't have the patience to read).

The balanced view is: there's a lot wrong with our postal system, but for most people it works well enough and at times can be surprisingly good.

To dismiss it out-of-hand as a 'farce' or 'joke' doesn't add any meaningful or thought-provoking content to the discussion.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5574 posts
1259 upvotes
BC
-KILO- wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 9:34 pm
What a joke

I left and used another service
Maybe you should have just used www.paypal.com/shipnow in the first place and saved yourself time and maybe some money.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10454 posts
2001 upvotes
Nowhere
It is funny how people are so oblivious to what is going on around them. OP signs up to complain about not getting a package even though it is still within the delivery standards during one of the worst winter storms were have ever had in this country. Many areas in Ontario were first paralyzed by the ice storm, then Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year's Day holidays so they didn't get a chance to catch up before being hit with this cold snap and accompanying storms. Alot of things aren't moving in this country and your package is probably the least of them.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1230 posts
270 upvotes
Kanata
Pretty sure there are at least 2 posts a week per delivery company saying how useless they are.

But I am not sure what the op means by Canada post having a monopoly. There are other options, just none maybe at the price point or level or convenience.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2678 posts
641 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
-KILO- wrote:

First I had to buy a roll of tape to seal the tops of the boxes, no biggie but I ship stuff often and usually they will let me use theirs.. The lady said they had none to let me use as they are out of supplies
Well yes, you have to seal those gaps in your boxes otherwise someone's check might fall in then they blame the Canada Post for theft. Try reading their packaging requirements.
-KILO- wrote:

The kicker was that they only had 1 US standard shipping label left unless I wanted the more expensive method... Really??? 1 label left? She said they have ordered more supplies and labels but haven't received them yet..

What a joke
Really??? My supermarket frequently runs out of items, too. Everything seems to be a joke then.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
5565 posts
1559 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I live in the boonies and I've never really had any problem with Canada post. Even the other day I called in my local post office and ask if they would keep a package from daysoft (contact lense) in the office because I didn't want it to freeze.. And they kept it (Picked it up yesterday).

They are always nice and I know even if the delivery takes 1-2 more days sometime well it's the same with UPS / Fedex Etc...

Sometime when people complain about specific stores or services (I admit that I complain sometime too hehe.) I would like to know where those people work... Then walk in and start complaining about every little thing they do.... Then I want they could tell me how it feels hehe :)