Shopping Discussion

What's the cheapest packaged product you've seen people steal from a store?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2010 1:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
I know someone that stole a peice of ginger from the grocery store and another time a small piece of garlic.
That is like what 25 cents?

I know a guy that was going out with one of my friends a few years ago he was bragging about stealing a tim hortons ceramic mug.

I just read in the paper a few weeks ago there was this 50 year old man and he was going to different restaurants and stores and steling parts from inside the toilet tanks.

not too sure why he'd do that?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17159 posts
23678 upvotes
ONTARIO
Bookpreviews wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 10:08 pm
I know someone that stole a peice of ginger from the grocery store and another time a small piece of garlic.

I know a guy that was going out with one of my friends a few years ago he was bragging about stealing a tim hortons ceramic mug.

I just read in the paper a few weeks ago there was this 50 year old man and he was going to different restaurants and stores and steling parts from inside the toilet tanks.

not too sure why he'd do that?
maybe he knows something we don't. maybe there's gold in them toilet tanks
Jun 8, 2008
506 posts
8 upvotes
lol i've never seen anyone steal anything. or maybe i just don't watch ppl around me closely enough... i always wonder how/why ppl have the courage to steal though. just pay the $2! :S
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
canadianstephen wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2010 1:49 am
A bag of Splenda. The father of A FAMILY (with wife and children) entered it as some cheap bulk product at the self-checkout (at RCSS) and the price was $0.10 instead of ~$8. Shame on him (and the mom) :evil: .
this is why the self-checkout is flawed. several ppl do that and enter wrong price.
[QUOTE]there's no such thing as a stupid question unless it's a really stupid question - me[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2667 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Bookpreviews wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 10:08 pm
last time i bought garlic it was only $0.14
[QUOTE]there's no such thing as a stupid question unless it's a really stupid question - me[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4367 posts
371 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jul 1st, 2010 7:58 pm
My parents used to run a convenience store when I was younger. I even helmed the cash register during my early teens and I would see people try and steal small items. For example, someone would come in and ask for some type of cigarettes, but while my back was turned they would swipe a pack of gum or chocolate bar.

I got smart to it and was able to grab the pack of cigarettes without during around. You'd think this doesn't happen often, but I caught at least 10-15 people trying to do this.

But the biggest culprits of petty theft at our convenience store were the cops. We had 3 break ins that I can remember. The cops would show up and help themselves to pop, chips, chocolate bars, etc. Then leave without paying for it. This was in the 80s and 90s, so maybe things are different now.
you should have put claymores behind the candy bars lol. As for the cops stealing things, thats just pathetic. I assume there was no way to complain or point in doing so?
Sep 17, 2005
204 posts
3 upvotes
I worked for Claire's accessories for 5 years....so i've seen a lot of cheap things go..caught a lot of kids to. I'd say the cheapest thing there would be the crap off the 10 for $10 rack...it's a flipping dollar people!!
good times catching the little thieves,called the cops everytime ...some of the kids got the civil recovery bill in the mail which was a blow out when the parents came back to the store to verbally assualt the staff about it.

my current job is at SDM...gum and bottles of juice/pop would be the cheapest... the strangest ---- feminine hygiene products..they open the boxes take a few tampons or pads and leave...I've even found packages of adult diapers opened with some missing. :s disturbing

By far the cheapest thing I've witnessed anyone steal would be 1 cent gum out of the Lions gumball machine at zellers....this happened about 30 years ago when I was kid... I remember this nasty kid stealing tiddly winks ( or old school bingo markers...the little plastic discs ) she put them in the penny gumball machine and low and behold it worked.. I will admit that once I witnessed that my twin sister and I headed off into zellers to steal the tiddly winks and then went directly to the gum machine... so now that I think of it we stole twice...once from zellers then from the lions...which was collecting money for blind people :( gosh that sounds terrible... evil child
Use your head for something other than just parting your hair!!!! ;)
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
204 upvotes
I have a friend who used to steal **** like that all the time in high school. Go to a store & steal a 99 cent chocolate bar. But he was kind of a clepto and did it more so because he got a rush as opposed to being cheap
Mar 14, 2009
123 posts
186 upvotes
Edmonton
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 10:16 pm
maybe he knows something we don't. maybe there's gold in them toilet tanks
lol..you never know..i was once cleaning the toilet at work, and found a whole crap load of crack cocaine hidden in the tank....
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1235 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal
brittlebain wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 9:13 am
lol..you never know..i was once cleaning the toilet at work, and found a whole crap load of crack cocaine hidden in the tank....
Such interesting comments. I've never seen anyone stealing stuff from a store. I guess I'm not in them often enough.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5977 posts
144 upvotes
they stole those square tin can cookies and hid it under their t-shirt.. pretty obvious, but i doubt we would want that can of cookie back
images are not permitted in sigs
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1712 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I once had a friend that stole a pack of pens from an office supply store, then used one of the pens to fill out a job application for the same store outside.
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
204 upvotes
I find people who steal small/cheap items are usually clepto's, and don't actually need the item

Eitherway, i'd say anyone who downloads music illegally when you can buy some songs for as low as 25 cents
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
Kris81 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2010 5:47 pm
Eitherway, i'd say anyone who downloads music illegally when you can buy some songs for as low as 25 cents
As you've probably heard, that's not stealing. It's copyright infringement. They're completely different, the only thing they share in common is that they're both illegal (just like murder and smoking in a bar are the same, in that way).
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1110 posts
235 upvotes
an eraser is the cheapest I have seen stolen,
Pork would be the strangest from a food basics, there was an empty styrofoam tray with blood in it still and the label on it said it was pork, week later saw a different meat product package in the aisle.

I have seen chocolate, pop, 2L pop, deodourant, someone ripped open a 10 pack of tic tacs for one thing, lighters, batteries, blank discs,

basically if the person is so inclined and they feel that they have the oppurtunity they will steal anything, and ou can't go by any profile, it can be anyone, more annoying when it is the 'professional' thiefs