Shopping Discussion

What's Costco's policy on multiple receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 4:56 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9835 posts
894 upvotes

What's Costco's policy on multiple receipts?

When I go to Costco, I typically shop for snacks to keep my workers happy and for personal stuff. Since I claim the snacks as an expense for work, I need a separate receipt. So I make 2 transactions.

Most of the time for the past year, the cashier does it without any problems, but lately I've gotten responses from "Costco policy doesn't allow this" to "Only Business members can do this" to "the register won't allow back to back transactions on the same card". That last one is complete BS.

I did a quick read through the membership conditions and regulations and there's nothing stated on this. The only thing I can find is the US policy which you are allowed up to 2 receipts or unlimited sub totals.
44 replies
Mar 24, 2016
265 posts
265 upvotes
scarborough
Maybe the should come out with another tier even more expensive and you can do multiple recepts in one checkout.

Last time i was there there were two ladies obviously one account holder with two complete shops (different family) complete full buggy. Then they spent several minutes determining this is mine and this is yours and then there was the cashier who was telling them they could not do different transactions which lead to an argument. The the supervisor had to come in and intervene. A waste of 5 to 7 minutes of my time because a member decides it's okay to bring along friends to do a shop. Its one thing to pick up an item for a friend but to bring someone along. Really.

Get a sub total for business items first.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15905 posts
4752 upvotes
Ottawa
YMMV by location.
I also request for multiple transactions when purchasing items for the office.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1004 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Can you not just highlight the business items on the receipt? Or blackout the personal ones?

I would probably be a little annoyed too. Imagine if everyone wanted to split their transaction into two.

The other thing you might consider is when you're doing this. If it's busy then I can imagine they're less likely to accommodate. Maybe try going when it's slower and see if you have more luck.
Sep 8, 2006
384 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton
explorer11 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:25 am
Maybe the should come out with another tier even more expensive and you can do multiple recepts in one checkout.

Last time i was there there were two ladies obviously one account holder with two complete shops (different family) complete full buggy. Then they spent several minutes determining this is mine and this is yours and then there was the cashier who was telling them they could not do different transactions which lead to an argument. The the supervisor had to come in and intervene. A waste of 5 to 7 minutes of my time because a member decides it's okay to bring along friends to do a shop. Its one thing to pick up an item for a friend but to bring someone along. Really.

Get a sub total for business items first.
What's wrong with bringing a friend or family member along to shop? Most people don't need to buy from Costco often so paying for a $60 membership doesn't make sense. Or the friend/family is from out of the country so a membership is completely useless.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3910 posts
794 upvotes
Halifax
I think it depends on location. I went to a costco in another province, they would NOT allow multiple receipts, but my local one has no problem doing it.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3064 posts
375 upvotes
I just ask them to subtotal the receipt with the business items first, and then pay for both my personal and business items in one transaction.
Mar 24, 2016
265 posts
265 upvotes
scarborough
Simby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:08 pm
What's wrong with bringing a friend or family member along to shop? Most people don't need to buy from Costco often so paying for a $60 membership doesn't make sense. Or the friend/family is from out of the country so a membership is completely useless.
Either your a member or not a member. If your friend wants to shop there then let them dish out the membership fee.

Whats next a bus full of people with one membership.

You want to shop there then join the club like everyone else
Last edited by explorer11 on Nov 10th, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14080 posts
2481 upvotes
Toronto
Here an idea, go 2 days of the week. One for business and one for personal.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2013
1119 posts
512 upvotes
GVR
Thats a crappy make-up policy. There is no such policy. This is different than your experience but I remember the time we went to costco one time to do our monthly stock up piling. My wife forgot her spouse card and we need two transactions. I went ahead first and then told the cashier the next items are mine they just need to be in a different receipt and different card payment. She told me that next time they need to be in the same receipt. Firmly told the cashier to show me where is that policy. I stand my ground as she was annoyed that i talked back to her. As long as you know its right and talk firmly but not aggressive.

I hope they do a self-checkout counter soon. Some of the employees are becoming pain in the ass just because costco now has a lot of customers.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1500 posts
799 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:13 am
When I go to Costco, I typically shop for snacks to keep my workers happy and for personal stuff. Since I claim the snacks as an expense for work, I need a separate receipt. So I make 2 transactions.

Most of the time for the past year, the cashier does it without any problems, but lately I've gotten responses from "Costco policy doesn't allow this" to "Only Business members can do this" to "the register won't allow back to back transactions on the same card". That last one is complete BS.

I did a quick read through the membership conditions and regulations and there's nothing stated on this. The only thing I can find is the US policy which you are allowed up to 2 receipts or unlimited sub totals.
I think your Answer is found in your Question.

SUBTOTALS

Submit the original or photocopy for work accounting (black out the personal bits)

And keep another copy for your own stuff... In case you have to do a return.

Although in reality, as long as you are a member, Costco also keeps your purchases / receipt info on file
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1500 posts
799 upvotes
Simby wrote:
It's a MEMBERSHIP based store... Not a free for all.

Non Members are not supposed to shop there. Period.

And Members are not allowed to resell ALL OR PART of their Membership.

Have a friend who wants to piggy-back on your Membership... Buy them a Costco Gift Card.

Lol, or have them move into your house... Then they can totally ride on your Membership as per THE RULES.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2546 posts
1704 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My local Costco only does subtotal too. Which is fine by me as long as our finance approves it for reimbursement.

Separate receipts or separate payment method are not accepted. They even used to check the credit card is the same name as the membership.
Sep 8, 2006
384 posts
141 upvotes
Edmonton
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:36 pm
It's a MEMBERSHIP based store... Not a free for all.

Non Members are not supposed to shop there. Period.

And Members are not allowed to resell ALL OR PART of their Membership.

Have a friend who wants to piggy-back on your Membership... Buy them a Costco Gift Card.

Lol, or have them move into your house... Then they can totally ride on your Membership as per THE RULES.
Wow you guys treat a $60 Costco membership like being a member at Augusta National Golf Club. lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8332 posts
1545 upvotes
London
Simby wrote:
Nothing pisses off the Costco crowd than someone entering their sacred space without tithing.