Shopping Discussion

What's Costco's policy on multiple receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 12:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12797 posts
3471 upvotes

What's Costco's policy on multiple receipts?

When I go to Costco, I typically shop for snacks to keep my workers happy and for personal stuff. Since I claim the snacks as an expense for work, I need a separate receipt. So I make 2 transactions.

Most of the time for the past year, the cashier does it without any problems, but lately I've gotten responses from "Costco policy doesn't allow this" to "Only Business members can do this" to "the register won't allow back to back transactions on the same card". That last one is complete BS.

I did a quick read through the membership conditions and regulations and there's nothing stated on this. The only thing I can find is the US policy which you are allowed up to 2 receipts or unlimited sub totals.
62 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1174 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
Maybe the should come out with another tier even more expensive and you can do multiple recepts in one checkout.

Last time i was there there were two ladies obviously one account holder with two complete shops (different family) complete full buggy. Then they spent several minutes determining this is mine and this is yours and then there was the cashier who was telling them they could not do different transactions which lead to an argument. The the supervisor had to come in and intervene. A waste of 5 to 7 minutes of my time because a member decides it's okay to bring along friends to do a shop. Its one thing to pick up an item for a friend but to bring someone along. Really.

Get a sub total for business items first.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
YMMV by location.
I also request for multiple transactions when purchasing items for the office.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Can you not just highlight the business items on the receipt? Or blackout the personal ones?

I would probably be a little annoyed too. Imagine if everyone wanted to split their transaction into two.

The other thing you might consider is when you're doing this. If it's busy then I can imagine they're less likely to accommodate. Maybe try going when it's slower and see if you have more luck.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1484 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
explorer11 wrote: Maybe the should come out with another tier even more expensive and you can do multiple recepts in one checkout.

Last time i was there there were two ladies obviously one account holder with two complete shops (different family) complete full buggy. Then they spent several minutes determining this is mine and this is yours and then there was the cashier who was telling them they could not do different transactions which lead to an argument. The the supervisor had to come in and intervene. A waste of 5 to 7 minutes of my time because a member decides it's okay to bring along friends to do a shop. Its one thing to pick up an item for a friend but to bring someone along. Really.

Get a sub total for business items first.
What's wrong with bringing a friend or family member along to shop? Most people don't need to buy from Costco often so paying for a $60 membership doesn't make sense. Or the friend/family is from out of the country so a membership is completely useless.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
I think it depends on location. I went to a costco in another province, they would NOT allow multiple receipts, but my local one has no problem doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5289 posts
2970 upvotes
Durham Region
I just ask them to subtotal the receipt with the business items first, and then pay for both my personal and business items in one transaction.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1174 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
Simby wrote: What's wrong with bringing a friend or family member along to shop? Most people don't need to buy from Costco often so paying for a $60 membership doesn't make sense. Or the friend/family is from out of the country so a membership is completely useless.
Either your a member or not a member. If your friend wants to shop there then let them dish out the membership fee.

Whats next a bus full of people with one membership.

You want to shop there then join the club like everyone else
Last edited by explorer11 on Nov 10th, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21127 posts
9784 upvotes
Toronto
Here an idea, go 2 days of the week. One for business and one for personal.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2013
1480 posts
764 upvotes
GVR
Thats a crappy make-up policy. There is no such policy. This is different than your experience but I remember the time we went to costco one time to do our monthly stock up piling. My wife forgot her spouse card and we need two transactions. I went ahead first and then told the cashier the next items are mine they just need to be in a different receipt and different card payment. She told me that next time they need to be in the same receipt. Firmly told the cashier to show me where is that policy. I stand my ground as she was annoyed that i talked back to her. As long as you know its right and talk firmly but not aggressive.

I hope they do a self-checkout counter soon. Some of the employees are becoming pain in the ass just because costco now has a lot of customers.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27762 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
joeyjoejoe wrote: When I go to Costco, I typically shop for snacks to keep my workers happy and for personal stuff. Since I claim the snacks as an expense for work, I need a separate receipt. So I make 2 transactions.

Most of the time for the past year, the cashier does it without any problems, but lately I've gotten responses from "Costco policy doesn't allow this" to "Only Business members can do this" to "the register won't allow back to back transactions on the same card". That last one is complete BS.

I did a quick read through the membership conditions and regulations and there's nothing stated on this. The only thing I can find is the US policy which you are allowed up to 2 receipts or unlimited sub totals.
I think your Answer is found in your Question.

SUBTOTALS

Submit the original or photocopy for work accounting (black out the personal bits)

And keep another copy for your own stuff... In case you have to do a return.

Although in reality, as long as you are a member, Costco also keeps your purchases / receipt info on file
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27762 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Simby wrote: What's wrong with bringing a friend or family member along to shop? Most people don't need to buy from Costco often so paying for a $60 membership doesn't make sense. Or the friend/family is from out of the country so a membership is completely useless.
It's a MEMBERSHIP based store... Not a free for all.

Non Members are not supposed to shop there. Period.

And Members are not allowed to resell ALL OR PART of their Membership.

Have a friend who wants to piggy-back on your Membership... Buy them a Costco Gift Card.

Lol, or have them move into your house... Then they can totally ride on your Membership as per THE RULES.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My local Costco only does subtotal too. Which is fine by me as long as our finance approves it for reimbursement.

Separate receipts or separate payment method are not accepted. They even used to check the credit card is the same name as the membership.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1484 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
PointsHubby wrote: It's a MEMBERSHIP based store... Not a free for all.

Non Members are not supposed to shop there. Period.

And Members are not allowed to resell ALL OR PART of their Membership.

Have a friend who wants to piggy-back on your Membership... Buy them a Costco Gift Card.

Lol, or have them move into your house... Then they can totally ride on your Membership as per THE RULES.
Wow you guys treat a $60 Costco membership like being a member at Augusta National Golf Club. lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3004 upvotes
London
Nothing pisses off the Costco crowd than someone entering their sacred space without tithing.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1174 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
Simby wrote: Wow you guys treat a $60 Costco membership like being a member at Augusta National Golf Club. lol
Does the Augusta National Golf Club membership include bring a friend for free
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
123 upvotes
Logtown
Multiple transactions also cost them extra. Doing this on a basis of countless customers adds up in unnecessary costs.

Ask for two copies of the same receipt, and like someone else pointed out, blackout the irrelevant line items on the business copy.

Or, make a copy of the receipt yourself.

I personally scanned and held copies of my business receipts. Easy to print out, easy to sort come tax season, and backup in case something happens without taking up much physical space.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1484 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
explorer11 wrote: Does the Augusta National Golf Club membership include bring a friend for free
Actually yes, guests of members play for free at Augusta.

The point I'm trying to make is that Augusta has 300 members and it's nearly impossible to get a membership and Costco has 90 million members.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27762 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
RE - Augusta vs Costco

AUGUSTA

Only 300 Members.

And you have to be INVITED to join.

Plus you have to be a somebody (accomplished something in life) as well as have a thick bank account (Membership & Dues will cost ya mega bucks annually)

There is a waiting list... At least 300 folks who otherwise supposedly qualify are waiting to get accepted.

COSTCO

By contrast has millions of members worldwide.

You don't have to be invited... Ya just show up at the door, and pay your Membership.

You don't have to be anybody, know someone, or be in anyway accomplished.

There is no waiting list... Cause membership is open & affordable.
The one thing that BOTH have in common, is there are MEMBERSHIP RULES

Even the rich famous folk at Augusta can be forced to pay when they bring along their friends:
http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/augus ... membership

MORALE OF THE STORY

If you want to p!ss (pun) all over the rules... Be expected to pay up or be asked to leave.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Nov 10th, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27754 posts
27762 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
NOTE -

My posts here have been a combo of tongue in cheek humour, and the truth about the rules at Costco.

Seriously by not following them, you are not being fair to everyone else... Who has paid their Membership Fee

Membership is not expensive. Your friend needs to use a Costco Gift Card if they are only going to come in once or twice a year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)