Shopping Discussion

What's Costco's policy on multiple receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 12:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12797 posts
3471 upvotes
explorer11 wrote: Maybe the should come out with another tier even more expensive and you can do multiple recepts in one checkout.

Last time i was there there were two ladies obviously one account holder with two complete shops (different family) complete full buggy. Then they spent several minutes determining this is mine and this is yours and then there was the cashier who was telling them they could not do different transactions which lead to an argument. The the supervisor had to come in and intervene. A waste of 5 to 7 minutes of my time because a member decides it's okay to bring along friends to do a shop. Its one thing to pick up an item for a friend but to bring someone along. Really.

Get a sub total for business items first.
I've initially did subtotals, but that didn't sit well with my company.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote: I've initially did subtotals, but that didn't sit well with my company.
In that case you should have your company to get a business membership for you. Problem solved.

If they say no, then quit buying work crap for them. Or are you doing it to get the 2% kickbacks?
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
CorSter wrote: I just ask them to subtotal the receipt with the business items first, and then pay for both my personal and business items in one transaction.
A few times I remember buying stuff I didn't want my business to see. One time I was hosting a Superbowl party and bought about 10 cases of beer...that's nobody's business.

95% of the time a subtotal is fine...it's the other 5% that pisses me off with their wishy washy unwritten "non-policy" that first line employees make up as they see fit.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18153 posts
14117 upvotes
Toronto
If a subtotal doesn't work, go through checkout twice...once for your items, 1 for work stuff.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1484 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
PointsHubby wrote: RE - Augusta vs Costco

AUGUSTA

Only 300 Members.

And you have to be INVITED to join.

Plus you have to be a somebody (accomplished something in life) as well as have a thick bank account (Membership & Dues will cost ya mega bucks annually)

There is a waiting list... At least 300 folks who otherwise supposedly qualify are waiting to get accepted.

COSTCO

By contrast has millions of members worldwide.

You don't have to be invited... Ya just show up at the door, and pay your Membership.

You don't have to be anybody, know someone, or be in anyway accomplished.

There is no waiting list... Cause membership is open & affordable.
The one thing that BOTH have in common, is there are MEMBERSHIP RULES

Even the rich famous folk at Augusta can be forced to pay when they bring along their friends:
http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/augus ... membership

MORALE OF THE STORY

If you want to p!ss (pun) all over the rules... Be expected to pay up or be asked to leave.

Costco MEMBERSHIP CONDITIONS AND REGULATIONS

June 15, 2017

No sales will be made to any person unless they have a valid membership card.
Each cardholder may bring two guests. However, guests do NOT have purchasing privileges.

So a cardholder bringing a friend and purchasing the items for a friend is not in violation of the rules as long as the cardholder is the one paying.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
I have done two receipts (business and personal) many times.

If you're needing this often, get the proper business membership. Zero hassle.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18924 posts
10494 upvotes
I have done this without issue when purchasing items for work - never been hassled. Sounds like a store specific thing.
Oct 30, 2014
6 posts
26 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I love Costco. Even with only my husband and I at home now I have the executive membership and feel it works for us. I choose to shop at Costco because I'm usually assured of quality.i purchase everything from hardware,electronics.children's clothes and outdoor items and everything in between. yes I've picked up stuff for friends. Maybe if some one asked to go with me I'd say yes, My issue is with people coming to this site to complain about their rules and, advice on how to return things no other retailer would let them return. when will people do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do.I know if I have an issue with a product Costco will stand behind it. Piece of mind means a lot to me. You don't like their rules shop elsewhere. I will not abuse their return policy just because I can. I enjoy this site, I learn a lot I wouldn't otherwise know. nothing is more irritating then skipping post after post because it's one more" do you think I can get away with it". My Costco sub totals when I have to submit a bill, their store their rules. Yes sometimes a different employee will make an exception,so what. How about if we treat Costco like the class act they are because they do treat their employees and customers well.
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
184 upvotes
marieba wrote: I love Costco. Even with only my husband and I at home now I have the executive membership and feel it works for us. I choose to shop at Costco because I'm usually assured of quality.i purchase everything from hardware,electronics.children's clothes and outdoor items and everything in between. yes I've picked up stuff for friends. Maybe if some one asked to go with me I'd say yes, My issue is with people coming to this site to complain about their rules and, advice on how to return things no other retailer would let them return. when will people do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do.I know if I have an issue with a product Costco will stand behind it. Piece of mind means a lot to me. You don't like their rules shop elsewhere. I will not abuse their return policy just because I can. I enjoy this site, I learn a lot I wouldn't otherwise know. nothing is more irritating then skipping post after post because it's one more" do you think I can get away with it". My Costco sub totals when I have to submit a bill, their store their rules. Yes sometimes a different employee will make an exception,so what. How about if we treat Costco like the class act they are because they do treat their employees and customers well.
No offense intended, but you sound like a Costco employee.
You can save even more by NOT spending ;)
Oct 30, 2014
6 posts
26 upvotes
Windsor, ON
No not a Costco employee just some one who's retired from working retail for thirty years, and watching abuse day in and day out. I like spending at Costco as I said I like getting quality for the money I spend. I don't think I said anything negative about my spending habits. . No offense intended but do you ever get tired of the Costco questions (usally how to skirt around their policy or how to scam a retailer Costco or otherwise.) I really enjoy going into Costco and seeing pleasant staff instead of going to my bank and watching the teller trying to upsell me on everything because their job depends on it.
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
184 upvotes
marieba wrote: No not a Costco employee just some one who's retired from working retail for thirty years, and watching abuse day in and day out. I like spending at Costco as I said I like getting quality for the money I spend. I don't think I said anything negative about my spending habits. . No offense intended but do you ever get tired of the Costco questions (usally how to skirt around their policy or how to scam a retailer Costco or otherwise.) I really enjoy going into Costco and seeing pleasant staff instead of going to my bank and watching the teller trying to upsell me on everything because their job depends on it.
As far as abuse is concerned, you definitely got that right. There is abuse everywhere and at all levels; be it in hospitals, in politics, etc. It really makes me sick but such is the world we live in. I understand your frustration as Costco is a place you enjoy spending your time and money.

My take on Costco is different than yours. I've been a member for about 3 decades and spent tens of thousands of dollars. I used to believe in Costco. That I was really saving money by shopping there. That all the time wasted waiting in line and going thru the store was really worth it for me. And then one day I discovered that I can pay less for a majority of what I buy at Costco by shopping in other stores.

I was really disappointed that I had been so naïve. I don't blame Costco, I blame myself for my own stupidity. Costco is doing nothing wrong. They excel at making you believe that if you shop almost exclusively at Costco, you will be better off financially. And nothing could be further from the truth. Not to mention the fact that a very large number of people shopping at Costco end up making impulsive purchases. Check out the RFD thread "Costco's weird spell" over here.

I still shop at Costco for now. I might not renew my membership next time it expires and instead wait at least 3-6 months before renewing it. But I now spend less than $1K/year and only go there every 3-6 months. I can buy food and other products so much cheaper elsewhere.

Also, a few months ago Costco.com had the Moto G5+ on their web site for $180. But Costco decided to discriminate against Canadians. Unless you had an American friend who is living in America with a home address, you couldn't buy the phone. So what Costco was telling me is that I was a second class citizen. That I was not good enough to buy online form their store. I had my 3 orders cancelled. I called them and I was politely told that Costco would not ship to a UPS store or a remailer in America. They would only ship to a home address and the name on the shipping label had to match the name of the home owner. I don't know if it is true but she even told me that they would verify that the name matches the home address before shipping the product. I was so disgusted of their discrimination that I almost did not renew my membership.

It really left a sour taste in my mouth to be discriminated like that. Even more so since I have been a member for about 30 years, have possibly spent in excess of $100K at Costco and have shopped in person at Costco locations in both Canada and America
You can save even more by NOT spending ;)
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12797 posts
3471 upvotes
marieba wrote: I love Costco. Even with only my husband and I at home now I have the executive membership and feel it works for us. I choose to shop at Costco because I'm usually assured of quality.i purchase everything from hardware,electronics.children's clothes and outdoor items and everything in between. yes I've picked up stuff for friends. Maybe if some one asked to go with me I'd say yes, My issue is with people coming to this site to complain about their rules and, advice on how to return things no other retailer would let them return. when will people do the right thing just because it's the right thing to do.I know if I have an issue with a product Costco will stand behind it. Piece of mind means a lot to me. You don't like their rules shop elsewhere. I will not abuse their return policy just because I can. I enjoy this site, I learn a lot I wouldn't otherwise know. nothing is more irritating then skipping post after post because it's one more" do you think I can get away with it". My Costco sub totals when I have to submit a bill, their store their rules. Yes sometimes a different employee will make an exception,so what. How about if we treat Costco like the class act they are because they do treat their employees and customers well.
marieba wrote: No not a Costco employee just some one who's retired from working retail for thirty years, and watching abuse day in and day out. I like spending at Costco as I said I like getting quality for the money I spend. I don't think I said anything negative about my spending habits. . No offense intended but do you ever get tired of the Costco questions (usally how to skirt around their policy or how to scam a retailer Costco or otherwise.) I really enjoy going into Costco and seeing pleasant staff instead of going to my bank and watching the teller trying to upsell me on everything because their job depends on it.

What's this rant all about? I'm asking what the policy was with multiple receipts. Not how to get away with breaking their policies or scam them. Until you can prove that multiple receipts is actually against Costco Canada's policy, can you take your ranting to another thread?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
Simby wrote: What's wrong with bringing a friend or family member along to shop? Most people don't need to buy from Costco often so paying for a $60 membership doesn't make sense. Or the friend/family is from out of the country so a membership is completely useless.
Is there a huge problem buying for someone else? Nope i don't think anyone would care too much if you want to buy for 2, 3 or even more family or an entire business (after all there is business membership).

The problem is when you are sorting out "how much" for each person @ checkout, which in turn means everyone else is forced to wait an extra 5-10 minutes (at least those who are lining up behind). Honestly if you're bringing friends along, you should find a spot to figure out the subtotal for each person before going to checkout. Its a pain to try and return without the member's card anyways (since i believe returns require the membership card and i remember it being a huge YMMV trying to return without/expired membership).
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1484 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
Paigne wrote:
Is there a huge problem buying for someone else? Nope i don't think anyone would care too much if you want to buy for 2, 3 or even more family or an entire business (after all there is business membership).

The problem is when you are sorting out "how much" for each person @ checkout, which in turn means everyone else is forced to wait an extra 5-10 minutes (at least those who are lining up behind). Honestly if you're bringing friends along, you should find a spot to figure out the subtotal for each person before going to checkout. Its a pain to try and return without the member's card anyways (since i believe returns require the membership card and i remember it being a huge YMMV trying to return without/expired membership).
I agree with you sorting at the till is wasting other people's time. I would expect most people to have their friends stuff in separate carts and then when you go pay, each person puts their stuff on the conveyer belt separated by the partition marker thingy.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7132 posts
3735 upvotes
Montreal
joeyjoejoe wrote: When I go to Costco, I typically shop for snacks to keep my workers happy and for personal stuff. Since I claim the snacks as an expense for work, I need a separate receipt. So I make 2 transactions.

Most of the time for the past year, the cashier does it without any problems, but lately I've gotten responses from "Costco policy doesn't allow this" to "Only Business members can do this" to "the register won't allow back to back transactions on the same card". That last one is complete BS.

I did a quick read through the membership conditions and regulations and there's nothing stated on this. The only thing I can find is the US policy which you are allowed up to 2 receipts or unlimited sub totals.
I've seen this enforced at locations across Montreal for many years, whether you're shopping with a guest or trying to split your own transaction in two. This article addresses the policy for guest purchases but not when you're trying to split your own transaction:

https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... w/subtotal

If you're really bothered by this, reach out to their customer service. It'll be a lot for fruitful than arguing with people on RFD.
Mar 28, 2010
309 posts
527 upvotes
vancouver
I've encountered this before. As long as the member pays for the carts, it has been fine. You can't pay for your own cart, then swipe your membership for a friend and have the friend pay for it.
It's a hit and miss if you pay with cash. Some will allow, some will still say it has to be the member's cash.
If I bring a friend, I will put my stuff on first, pay for it, then ask for a separate transaction and pay for that one. If the cashier allows my friend to pay with cash, then cool. I never indicate to them it's a friend, just under the assumption it's still my stuff just needing a different receipt. If not, I will pay for it and collect cash after we leave.
Jul 22, 2015
795 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
I always do 2 separate transactions when I'm buying business and personal items. I've only had an issue once where I was told it wasn't allowed.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12797 posts
3471 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: I've seen this enforced at locations across Montreal for many years, whether you're shopping with a guest or trying to split your own transaction in two. This article addresses the policy for guest purchases but not when you're trying to split your own transaction:

https://customerservice.costco.ca/app/a ... w/subtotal

If you're really bothered by this, reach out to their customer service. It'll be a lot for fruitful than arguing with people on RFD.
I emailed Costco and also posted here. To date, I have not gotten a response from Costco. Also my intention wasn't to argue with anyone. This thread is already getting derailed with posts about guests, return policy and even website purchases, but I took exception to @marieba who was accusing me of trying to abuse their policy or scam them when I'm only asking for clarification on what the policy is... or if one even exists.
May 28, 2012
12476 posts
5266 upvotes
Saskatoon
I think it really depends on the location. Would it be too much of a pain to do the two transactions separately...as in, buy the stuff, put in car and go back for the other order? It wouldn't be an issue for me because the Costco I go to isn't usually that busy but I can see it being inconvenient if you are at a busy location.

Btw, you can call the admin number and actually talk to someone at the store, I've done it.
Oct 30, 2014
6 posts
26 upvotes
Windsor, ON
joeyjoejoe I apologize for my comments. I did not mean to accuse you of being dishonest, We all know that all establishment have rules and that different employees enforce them differently . I had just returned from Costco and had watched a clerk bullied by a customer who was trying to get something he wasn't entitled to. I felt I was making a general statement and again please accept my apology.