Shopping Discussion

What's Costco's policy on multiple receipts?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 12:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2007
1125 posts
652 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote:
If you want to p!ss (pun) all over the rules... Be expected to pay up or be asked to leave.
That's not a pun.
Aug 30, 2010
30 posts
4 upvotes
Pickering
I shop with family/friends sometimes, but it's always simply calculated after the fact what they owe me. Seriously, it's not hard, just look at the receipt.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4765 posts
1311 upvotes
Richmond
drumstyx wrote: I shop with family/friends sometimes, but it's always simply calculated after the fact what they owe me. Seriously, it's not hard, just look at the receipt.
people can't do math these days don't ya know?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2007
1125 posts
652 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: Clearly you did not get the link (another one)
Hmm. Now I'm interested - provide context?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3966 posts
3747 upvotes
GVRD
I am reviving this thread because I had the same issue in the Costco with Richmond. I emailed Costco about this so we all know what is the official rule about paying for our stuff separately under the same membership with the same credit card.

I always buy coffee for the office when I am shopping in Costco, I need a separate receipt so I get reimbursed. My accounting department does not like a receipt with personal purchases as they like it short and simple. I never have an issues with Costco as I always lay out the coffee before hand and tell the cashier I want to pay separately for work and need a receipt.

Today, doing the same thing and the cashier told me only business or executive can ask for separate bill and she could only do sub-total. When my wife asked to see this "rule" in writing and does the rule apply on the same membership and same payment card, the cashier gave up and told us she would do it "this time". At the end, I got my receipt for the coffee but I am not happy about the attitude. When is asking for another receipt a privilege??

I wrote an email to Costco and ask them to clarify this "rule" in writing as I cannot find it anywhere in the membership regulation. I understand they enforce this to prevent non-members to piggyback on paying members but this is not my case as I just want to pay for some items separately for accounting purpose. On my email, I also asked Costco to communicate with the store because there are lots of inconsistencies on how some rules are enforced.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Yes, I love navigating the aisles around all of the Costco tagalongs/freeloaders
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3415 posts
1250 upvotes
Toronto
That's why most of my work purchases are slowly moving over to Amazon, without being a total ripoff like Staples for office supplies.

Delivered to my office, free of charge (prime). Save gas and time. And my work doesn't really reward me for bargain hunting and fighting the soccer dads at Costco. The accountants just want a clean receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8974 posts
2827 upvotes
No problems at my local store. Granted it usually only a few items that I buy under the business credit card. Most cashiers make it seemless.

Scan personal items, cashier presses credit key, I tap. Cashier scans my membership again, scans the 3 items or so, and presses credit key and I tap again. The second receipt is 20 seconds tops.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3251 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Today, doing the same thing and the cashier told me only business or executive can ask for separate bill and she could only do sub-total. When my wife asked to see this "rule" in writing
Actually, they don't have to have anything in writing with regards to that. It could be a policy or a preference. It's their store, they can do what they want.
I am not happy about the attitude.

I'm sure she wasn't happy about the entitled attitude you and your wife demonstrated.
When is asking for another receipt a privilege??
...it's not a right, either.

Why don't you ask your accountant why they demand a unique receipt for the purchase, or why they don't just buy their own bloody coffee? Or, of course, you could simply get the appropriate membership.
I understand they enforce this to prevent non-members to piggyback on paying members but this is not my case...
...and I'm sure a whole bunch of people say that as they're coming through the line with their friends, or buying separate items for their friends.
as I just want to pay for some items separately for accounting purpose.

Then get the appropriate membership.
On my email, I also asked Costco to communicate with the store because there are lots of inconsistencies on how some rules are enforced.
They have the right to put house rules - as long as they're not conflicting with company policy - in place when they want. That's one of the reasons why different stores can sometimes have different prices for products, especially if one location is clearing out a specific item.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3966 posts
3747 upvotes
GVRD
ALLCAPS wrote: Actually, they don't have to have anything in writing with regards to that. It could be a policy or a preference. It's their store, they can do what they want.

I'm sure she wasn't happy about the entitled attitude you and your wife demonstrated.

...it's not a right, either.

Why don't you ask your accountant why they demand a unique receipt for the purchase, or why they don't just buy their own bloody coffee? Or, of course, you could simply get the appropriate membership.

...and I'm sure a whole bunch of people say that as they're coming through the line with their friends, or buying separate items for their friends.

Then get the appropriate membership.

They have the right to put house rules - as long as they're not conflicting with company policy - in place when they want. That's one of the reasons why different stores can sometimes have different prices for products, especially if one location is clearing out a specific item.
What is so conflicting with the company policy when I ask to pay for some items separately politely? I have done it many times in the past, like EPcjay said, it will take extra 30 sec and everyone is smiling and happy customers.

What you said is exactly why I want Costco to put the brakes down on individual "house rules"; I work for a large retailer and inconsistency is why customers get upset and it is unnecessarily. You can blame the customers like myself for being "entitled" and don't come if you don't like it; but if the rules are not laid out up-front and enforced consistently, then those rules don't mean anything. Especially when the rules are not followed by majority of the staff, then it makes the store looks bad when someone happens to be the rule police.

What you said about "coming through the line with their friends, or buying separate items for their friends" is also false, the rules clearly stated each card member can bring 2 guests and guests do not have purchase privilege. As long as I am the one paying as card member, Costco does not need to know who the items are for. This is clearly different than me bringing a friend and asked to let the other person pay.

Costco also does not specify the differences of membership up front. They should lay out "no shopping for other" rule as well so everyone is for themselves.

I like Costco, and I will keep shopping with them. While most of the time they are great, just some of the staff feel condescending. I work for a union and I know how that feels, some staff feels they have authority because they have seniority, I get that. I personally don't see any conflict of company policy by asking to pay for items separately, and I don't know why some people are just inflexible and make a simple painless request become a complicated issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3251 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
pkphilip wrote: What is so conflicting with the company policy when I ask to pay for some items separately politely?
Nothing. The problem is when people get told that it's not possible (for whatever reason) and then demand to see policies in writing or do something else to insist that they get their way.
I have done it many times in the past, like EPcjay said, it will take extra 30 sec and everyone is smiling and happy customers.

Not the people who may be on a tighter schedule for whom the ten customers in front of them - each taking an extra 30 seconds - delay them further.
I work for a large retailer and inconsistency is why customers get upset and it is unnecessarily.
The house rules aren't the issue. It's customers who refuse to take 'no' for an answer - kinda like you and your wife. Ask all you want, and if the cashier agrees, sure - go nuts. But if they say it's not possible at that time, then it's not possible.
You can blame the customers like myself for being "entitled" and don't come if you don't like it; but if the rules are not laid out up-front and enforced consistently, then those rules don't mean anything. Especially when the rules are not followed by majority of the staff, then it makes the store looks bad when someone happens to be the rule police.
...looks worse when customers make demands - whether it's "I want to see that in writing..." or "they do it at the other location, so you should do it now..." or even the "they did it here for me last time...."
What you said about "coming through the line with their friends, or buying separate items for their friends" is also false, the rules clearly stated each card member can bring 2 guests and guests do not have purchase privilege.
Not false at all. Happens quite regularly when people - like you, actually - insist on a second receipt, and typically because their guest without purchasing privileges is buying a crapload of stuff and needs to know how much they owe the member.
As long as I am the one paying as card member, Costco does not need to know who the items are for.
...and if they say that only certain types of membership can do multiple receipts, then you should change your membership. I regularly do two receipts for my own reasons and have never had an issue. Why? Because I have the membership that apparently allows me to do so.
This is clearly different than me bringing a friend and asked to let the other person pay.
It's different, but not completely so.
Costco also does not specify the differences of membership up front.
Agree totally that it would be useful if this was clarified.
They should lay out "no shopping for other" rule as well so everyone is for themselves.
I'm having a blonde moment, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here...
I personally don't see any conflict of company policy by asking to pay for items separately, and I don't know why some people are just inflexible and make a simple painless request become a complicated issue.
...and yet you weren't flexible enough to accept the 'no' answer that you were given. Somewhat ironic, wouldn't you say?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3004 upvotes
London
jackrabbit000 wrote: It’ll never happen, just like them putting in express checkouts.
We had self checkouts a few years ago, and they disappeared after a few months.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3966 posts
3747 upvotes
GVRD
ALLCAPS wrote: Nothing. The problem is when people get told that it's not possible (for whatever reason) and then demand to see policies in writing or do something else to insist that they get their way.

Not the people who may be on a tighter schedule for whom the ten customers in front of them - each taking an extra 30 seconds - delay them further.

The house rules aren't the issue. It's customers who refuse to take 'no' for an answer - kinda like you and your wife. Ask all you want, and if the cashier agrees, sure - go nuts. But if they say it's not possible at that time, then it's not possible.

...looks worse when customers make demands - whether it's "I want to see that in writing..." or "they do it at the other location, so you should do it now..." or even the "they did it here for me last time...."

Not false at all. Happens quite regularly when people - like you, actually - insist on a second receipt, and typically because their guest without purchasing privileges is buying a crapload of stuff and needs to know how much they owe the member.

...and if they say that only certain types of membership can do multiple receipts, then you should change your membership. I regularly do two receipts for my own reasons and have never had an issue. Why? Because I have the membership that apparently allows me to do so.

It's different, but not completely so.

Agree totally that it would be useful if this was clarified.

I'm having a blonde moment, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here...

...and yet you weren't flexible enough to accept the 'no' answer that you were given. Somewhat ironic, wouldn't you say?
Your argument is still surrounding I am not taking no for answer when this thread and my complaint is the lack of transparency on Costco to the staff and customers. Like others here, I am simply asking for clarification. I will gladly take their word if there are no precedents were made - just like their limited payment method. It is consistent and clearly indicated in their membership regulation.

If the cashier would honestly tells me the line is long and I would have to line up again for the fairness of others, sure.. I will be considerate and line up again. But pulling an ambiguous rule that is not consistently enforced to decline a common request without a proper explanation is just poor judgement on the cashier's part. Plus, if such rule exist and I am in the wrong, she can always call a supervisor and pull me aside to discuss the issues.

Speaking about policy, my workplace has an operation aid on every check out and I can refer to it as they are company policy. We can gladly show it to the customer should there are any issues. There are no such thing as "house rule" in my workplace, if the rules are unclear or need clarification, management on duty makes the decision on the spot.

I emailed Costco head office with my experience and asked for clarifications on their check out policy in the warehouse. They replied back within the day asking for my phone number and will follow up with me and the store. I guess I got their attention when I inquire about the validity of their house rule vs actual company policy, which ones take priority.

I will reply back once I hear back from Costco as it will be an interesting conversation.
Ottomaddox wrote: We had self checkouts a few years ago, and they disappeared after a few months.
Most of the time is due to the union not allowing them in the store (take away jobs they said).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7814 posts
8682 upvotes
pkphilip wrote: Your argument is still surrounding I am not taking no for answer when this thread and my complaint is the lack of transparency on Costco to the staff and customers. Like others here, I am simply asking for clarification. I will gladly take their word if there are no precedents were made - just like their limited payment method. It is consistent and clearly indicated in their membership regulation.

If the cashier would honestly tells me the line is long and I would have to line up again for the fairness of others, sure.. I will be considerate and line up again. But pulling an ambiguous rule that is not consistently enforced to decline a common request without a proper explanation is just poor judgement on the cashier's part. Plus, if such rule exist and I am in the wrong, she can always call a supervisor and pull me aside to discuss the issues.

Speaking about policy, my workplace has an operation aid on every check out and I can refer to it as they are company policy. We can gladly show it to the customer should there are any issues. There are no such thing as "house rule" in my workplace, if the rules are unclear or need clarification, management on duty makes the decision on the spot.

I emailed Costco head office with my experience and asked for clarifications on their check out policy in the warehouse. They replied back within the day asking for my phone number and will follow up with me and the store. I guess I got their attention when I inquire about the validity of their house rule vs actual company policy, which ones take priority.

I will reply back once I hear back from Costco as it will be an interesting conversation.

Most of the time is due to the union not allowing them in the store (take away jobs they said).
I thought everybody knew the one receipt rule... I've been shopping at Costco for many years and have always known this...

Dude, stop being a prick and just go through the cash a second time or have your spouse stand and check out in a different line.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3004 upvotes
London
pkphilip wrote:
The Canadian locations are unionized?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3004 upvotes
London
superfresh89 wrote: or have your spouse stand and check out in a different line.
I literally have the second cardholder behind me to ring in a second receipt if I need one. I find it somewhat irksome to have to resort to such shenanigans for an 'effin piece of paper.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7814 posts
8682 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: I literally have the second cardholder behind me to ring in a second receipt if I need one. I find it somewhat irksome to have to resort to such shenanigans for an 'effin piece of paper.
That's fine too. Might be faster by using 2 lanes tho :p
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3251 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Ottomaddox wrote: I literally have the second cardholder behind me to ring in a second receipt if I need one. I find it somewhat irksome to have to resort to such shenanigans for an 'effin piece of paper.
...then get the appropriate membership. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)