• Jan 14th, 2019 6:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 26, 2015
245 posts
356 upvotes
Mississauga

What's the deal with Kijiji iPhones?

I'm just curious why there are so many unopened, sealed iPhones XS on kijiji? A quick search and thousands of listings pop up, many of them hundreds of dollars lower than the retail price. There are more sealed iPhones than there are used ones. I posted my used iPhone XS on kijiji for a decent price and got hit with a ton of people trying to price match my phone with a bunch of new in box ones which were hundreds of dollars lower than mine (absurdly low priced). (EXAMPLE: iPhone XS MAX, Sealed, 512GB for $700). Where do these people obtain these new in box phones for so cheap? Are they reselling them and making a profit? Plus people keep comparing mine with others that have an official Apple Receipt and mine doesn't come with a receipt. Why don't these people just return the phone if they still have the receipt?

Would prefer to get answers based on actual experience (they are sellers, know people who are sellers, have attempted to buy one ETC)
16 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11120 posts
2580 upvotes
GTA
Koodo loophole allows people to get them cheap. All over the forums.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1133 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 8:37 pm
Koodo loophole allows people to get them cheap. All over the forums.
For iPhone XS ?? When and what was the deal?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1133 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
Mok122cobra wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 8:27 pm
I'm just curious why there are so many unopened, sealed iPhones XS on kijiji? A quick search and thousands of listings pop up, many of them hundreds of dollars lower than the retail price. There are more sealed iPhones than there are used ones. I posted my used iPhone XS on kijiji for a decent price and got hit with a ton of people trying to price match my phone with a bunch of new in box ones which were hundreds of dollars lower than mine (absurdly low priced). (EXAMPLE: iPhone XS MAX, Sealed, 512GB for $700). Where do these people obtain these new in box phones for so cheap? Are they reselling them and making a profit? Plus people keep comparing mine with others that have an official Apple Receipt and mine doesn't come with a receipt. Why don't these people just return the phone if they still have the receipt?

Would prefer to get answers based on actual experience (they are sellers, know people who are sellers, have attempted to buy one ETC)
It’s probably scam (blacklist after sale) and or people putting up fake ads to get better deal for themselves. I phone X is going for over $900, so doesn’t make much sense that an iPhone XS going for a lot less.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1133 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
Here is your answer..at least this ad is straight up very honest.
Images
  • FE808822-28DD-4EE9-AA12-8EBECC6D7C63.png
Dec 15, 2017
771 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
About 85% of all these iphone ads are fake and only 15% are genuine. People get these iphones in promotions or as christmas gifts, they don't want them, they already have one so they sell them in Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1175 posts
205 upvotes
Edmonton
Some people think they get the phones for cheaper on contract and can sell it for around retail price. So if they don't need to upgrade for another 2 years, they will flip the phones. Don't see how it's any cheaper unless you're on Koodo.
Feb 9, 2017
103 posts
43 upvotes
I think a lot of the phones were received as part of signing up or renewing a plan. For example, at our work, we have a deal with Rogers where you can get many of the popular phones for cheap or even free if you sign up for a 2 year plan. For example, they are giving the iPhone XR 64gb away for free.

I don't think these ads are that suspicious.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4264 posts
1317 upvotes
So.

You want an iPhone at a price someone else is selling it at?

Why the hell are you contacting me?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16525 posts
13431 upvotes
Toronto
There are also some very good quality, fake iPhones out there that can easily fool less savvy (ie blinded by greed) buyers

An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Mar 17, 2017
82 posts
74 upvotes
GTA
MusicBox wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:12 pm
About 85% of all these iphone ads are fake and only 15% are genuine. People get these iphones in promotions or as christmas gifts, they don't want them, they already have one so they sell them in Kijiji.
This is correct, you're most likely to get scammed. Even if you're lucky and buy a legitimate phone from someone who profited off of a discount or subsidy, you run the risk of getting blacklisted if the person decides to commit insurance fraud and report it stolen.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4241 posts
1128 upvotes
Canuckland
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is

Just test them and if it's too crazy don't buy.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1133 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
Dubioussyllogism wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:20 pm
This is correct, you're most likely to get scammed. Even if you're lucky and buy a legitimate phone from someone who profited off of a discount or subsidy, you run the risk of getting blacklisted if the person decides to commit insurance fraud and report it stolen.
Would a scammer agree to come to a Apple store or even a police station to do the exchange?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)