Off Topic

What's the deal with people who bring their garbage to local parks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 9:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3783 posts
965 upvotes
GTA

What's the deal with people who bring their garbage to local parks?

I pass by my local park every day to get to work. I feel like every morning, there's a pile of garbage on top of the trash bins that is clearly dumped from people bringing it from home. They're always in tied up grocery bags.

I'm guessing it's usually dumped green bin organic material that people don't want to keep at home. But it's disgusting to see a pile of trash in front of a kids jungle gym.
22 replies
Oct 23, 2017
867 posts
526 upvotes
GTA West
Very often it is dog crap tied up in those bags.

Other people are going away and don't want to leave rotting organics in the house. Now that hot summer weather is here, I constantly have problems with flies and maggots on the green bin. We have gone back to using compostable bags for our organics, to minimize the problem.

Then there are the people who don't want to pay for stickers when they exceed the free bag quota.

When I had a cottage up north, the town complained about the garbage bags people brought up from the GTA when they went to the cottage - same reason.
Jul 23, 2007
908 posts
432 upvotes
Vancouver
Their trash is full dammit
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2344 posts
1300 upvotes
Kitchener
Dave98 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 8:12 am
I pass by my local park every day to get to work. I feel like every morning, there's a pile of garbage on top of the trash bins that is clearly dumped from people bringing it from home. They're always in tied up grocery bags.

I'm guessing it's usually dumped green bin organic material that people don't want to keep at home. But it's disgusting to see a pile of trash in front of a kids jungle gym.
Cost of garbage pick-up is too damned high at home now! That's my guess.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
2408 posts
149 upvotes
Dave98 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 8:12 am

Yeah. I seen that in park near us. Dont get it why they do it. I ave seen some who live in nice houses just opposite.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
(borrowed)Not enough bans and the howling monkeys start up about them promoting hate and whatever. howling monkeys or hall monitors?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17366 posts
1660 upvotes
Space for rent
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 8:27 am
Very often it is dog crap tied up in those bags.

Other people are going away and don't want to leave rotting organics in the house. Now that hot summer weather is here, I constantly have problems with flies and maggots on the green bin. We have gone back to using compostable bags for our organics, to minimize the problem.

Then there are the people who don't want to pay for stickers when they exceed the free bag quota.

When I had a cottage up north, the town complained about the garbage bags people brought up from the GTA when they went to the cottage - same reason.
Stop making excuses. The majority are people who over consume and generate a butt tonne of garbage and don’t want to pay the extra for the city to pick it up. I’ve had a neighbour that would shamelessly put her garbage on in our front step because we consume less. To keep the peace we didn’t say anything. We just take their water to water our backyard and plants as compensation.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1208 posts
210 upvotes
Sometimes it’s ppls garbage from their car.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4512 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto
I occasionally bring recycling (small cardboard and cans) to the park because my building doesn't have recycling and I feel bad trashing it all (though who knows if that really makes a difference now). I wouldn't fill up the whole bin or just dump it around, though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6580 posts
2022 upvotes
Mississauga
Manatus wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 9:40 am
I occasionally bring recycling (small cardboard and cans) to the park because my building doesn't have recycling and I feel bad trashing it all (though who knows if that really makes a difference now). I wouldn't fill up the whole bin or just dump it around, though.
But that's a recycling bin, not a trash can, as OP is alluding to. Unless you're dumping the recyling into the garbage bin at the park, then that makes no sense at all.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12399 posts
1868 upvotes
City of Vancouver
People bring their domestic garbage to dispose of in commercial dumpsters, sidewalk garbage bins, etc. If they have something large, like a matress/sofa/etc., they put it in an alley/laneway or park ravine.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7676 posts
4589 upvotes
Cause garbage day is every two weeks and people
Don’t want rotting garbage in their garage especially summer with bugs

Maybe in summer they should do weekly garbage runs.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4093 posts
1611 upvotes
Mississauga
What rotting garbage? Don’t they have organics waste? That’s picked up every week.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
2408 posts
149 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 5:02 pm
What rotting garbage? Don’t they have organics waste? That’s picked up every week.
Yes. But they still do it. I have also seen dumping in trash cans near TTC bus stops. And they are always full so people just leave outside.
You guys seem trapped by the confines of your own ideologies.
(borrowed)Not enough bans and the howling monkeys start up about them promoting hate and whatever. howling monkeys or hall monitors?
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11258 posts
442 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 11:11 am
People bring their domestic garbage to dispose of in commercial dumpsters, sidewalk garbage bins, etc. If they have something large, like a matress/sofa/etc., they put it in an alley/laneway or park ravine.
+1

That’s why so many places build fences and gates around private dumpsters. Kind of sad that they need to do that...
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11258 posts
442 upvotes
broc wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 6:22 am
Sometimes it’s ppls garbage from their car.
Don’t they normally throw this out the car window?

I know one time I saw my neighbour grab a handful of garbage from the floor of her car and throw it on my driveway.

We the animals!