• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2005 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
Cake wrote:Sour coffee means that the it has been left out for more than 2 hours.
Some people are too lazy to pour it out after 30 minutes and it pisses me off.
i once went to timmies and asked for extra mil in the little containers....when ever i use these, i just open em up and throw em in my cup...for some reason i decided to look inside this milk one- it had green chunks-

coffee tases good...plus i wont pay more than $1.20 for a cup ;)
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
11102 posts
1342 upvotes
Georgetown
The big secret behind Timmy's coffee:

1. Cheap, and not bad for the price (TH vs. McDs? No brainer)
2. FAST. The TH near my work is ALWAYS packed (15 people in line) and it takes 3 minutes (Yes, I timed it) to get from last to first in that line.
3. Canadian institution. What Canadian DOESN'T know a timmies. We're as addicted to TH as the americans are to *$.

and the real reason we're all hooked:

The 18% creamer they use in their coffee....its so tasty and rich, its like liquid heroin.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
danfromwaterloo wrote:.........and the real reason we're all hooked:

The 18% creamer they use in their coffee....its so tasty and rich, its like liquid heroin.
anything with "fat" tastes amazing...cheese, milk, food....

i think TH actually adds something in their coffee to make it adictive. I think there was a law suit in the talks. not sure though. i believe there was another thread about this as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4274 posts
299 upvotes
Hamilton
Roninvancouver wrote:used to be good...now really dodgy.
Agreed. With all the drive through Tim's and one on every corner the coffee is never the same. I normally just get double cream to compensate for the bitterness.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1947 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
danfromwaterloo wrote:The big secret behind Timmy's coffee:

1. Cheap, and not bad for the price (TH vs. McDs? No brainer)
2. FAST. The TH near my work is ALWAYS packed (15 people in line) and it takes 3 minutes (Yes, I timed it) to get from last to first in that line.
3. Canadian institution. What Canadian DOESN'T know a timmies. We're as addicted to TH as the americans are to *$.

and the real reason we're all hooked:

firstly scratch number 3 off your list, they're owned by wendy's and they're basically an american company now, which is why they've gone down the toilet as far as i'm concerned and the main reason i stopped giving them my business. I especially hate how they like to perpetuate the myth that they are still canadian, when they're about as canadian as george bush.

Secondly i know for a fact that coffee time uses 18% creamer for their coffee so thats got nothing to do with people being addicted to their coffee. Actually i'm pretty sure most coffee places use 18% creamer so that doesnt explain why people say they're addicted to tim hortons either.

here's my theory, its just people being stupid and having this sheep mentality when they say they have to get their timmies fix, they're just trying to fit in with everyone and be cool. then again i could be wrong.

one thing about tim hortons though is that they're very convenient and they have a nice atmosphere at their shops but thats all they really have going for them.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
7 upvotes
jedijome wrote:firstly scratch number 3 off your list, they're owned by wendy's and they're basically an american company now, which is why they've gone down the toilet as far as i'm concerned and the main reason i stopped giving them my business. I especially hate how they like to perpetuate the myth that they are still canadian, when they're about as canadian as george bush.
Exactly.

If you want true Canadian, then go to second cup or blenz.

(And i don't think TH has all that great an atmosphere in there.) It's just another fast food interior.

THeir service. pathetic. I was waiting in line for donut not realizing I was i the wrong line up. Two staff saw me waiting in the wrong line,and did nothing. They still saw me standing there, figuring out how to work some stupid machine. Only after when they had to physically turn around and move toward the counter for something did they bark out something like "you have to stand over there", and then turn away to do something else. No facial expression, no courtesy, no squat.

I saw some customer counting out her change, taking out all her nickels and dimes and pennies, and to top it off, i don't think she passed basic elementary arithmetic, since she didn't even know what the heck she was counting. I just rolled my eyes and gave up.

But I digress. TH does not deserve such loyalty and the commercials are just there to perpetuate a fake propoganda advertising machine to make us think that they are the greatest institution Canada ever gave to the retail food industry, what with their sappy stories about TH mugs and cross canada trips.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4103 posts
362 upvotes
I don't mind Timmy's... their coffee is cheap. Not the greatest. But what I don't like, is if I order a large double double, I see them SHOVEL in two heaping spoonfuls of suger into the cup! Its then way too sweet.
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
7 upvotes
this "double double" talk was so strange to me and I didn't know what that meant to me till just last year. It's so uniquely tim's. I don't recall hearing it anywhere else. To me it sound almost country/hick like, versus cosmo/metropolitan. IE double double versus decaf non fat. Double double is what I expect to hear watching Corner Gas versus Seinfeld.

Just my observations, no insults intended. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta
me! wrote:this "double double" talk was so strange to me and I didn't know what that meant to me till just last year. It's so uniquely tim's. I don't recall hearing it anywhere else. To me it sound almost country/hick like, versus cosmo/metropolitan. IE double double versus decaf non fat. Double double is what I expect to hear watching Corner Gas versus Seinfeld.

Just my observations, no insults intended. :)
lol
try a four by four ;)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
3042 posts
1 upvote
jedijome wrote:firstly scratch number 3 off your list, they're owned by wendy's and they're basically an american company now, which is why they've gone down the toilet as far as i'm concerned and the main reason i stopped giving them my business. I especially hate how they like to perpetuate the myth that they are still canadian, when they're about as canadian as george bush.

Secondly i know for a fact that coffee time uses 18% creamer for their coffee so thats got nothing to do with people being addicted to their coffee. Actually i'm pretty sure most coffee places use 18% creamer so that doesnt explain why people say they're addicted to tim hortons either.

here's my theory, its just people being stupid and having this sheep mentality when they say they have to get their timmies fix, they're just trying to fit in with everyone and be cool. then again i could be wrong.

one thing about tim hortons though is that they're very convenient and they have a nice atmosphere at their shops but thats all they really have going for them.
Wendy's is good; but I still wish we had Harvey's in Alabama. and not just Hardee's.
Nov 26, 2003
335 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:I dont think coffee is suppose to taste good... its an aquired taste, and its mainly for practical uses.

Thats the way i look at it. Its just for me to wake up. So whenever im feeling really tired i just buy a small black and kick it down nicely. boo yah :o
ya but in restaurants and stuff they sometimes serve coffee as a dessert. So i think it should taste good

and i also agree with you guys, TH is just all hype and tastes like sh*t. once i was on the train at finch station, some women ordered a cup of coffee and said "Now that is good coffee" to a total stranger. *sigh* i guess you have to blame the advertising that is put on by them.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5101 posts
718 upvotes
Ancaster
UrbanPoet wrote:I dont think coffee is suppose to taste good... its an aquired taste, and its mainly for practical uses.

Thats the way i look at it. Its just for me to wake up. So whenever im feeling really tired i just buy a small black and kick it down nicely. boo yah :o
The stuff at the newstands and even in second cup isn't real coffee...real coffee is what you have in a really upscale restaurant, where they process the beans right there and brew it immediately. It's so fresh you taste the oils in the beans.

That said, when I drank that stuff...I didn't like it, because it wasn't what I was used to. My parents and the other grownups around the table were saying that it was like this because it was super fresh. I'm inclined to believe them...since they've had so much more life experience than I have had.

Anyone notice how the timmie's at UT Med Sci is so watered down? I buy from starbucks in Gerstein now...that and because the lady is nice and we're pretty familiar with one another :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
4582 posts
gta

true...but i think everything is an aquired taste. depends what youve been fed when u were a rug rat...i think that makes a big difference on what we choose to eat now...
but i think people drink it just because...its the thing you do...like after dinner, late night....just like smoking...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
I drink TH sometimes because it's damn everywhere downtown toronto. BUT i prefer my office coffee... free and the 'gourmet' stuff :) one sugar and one 2% milk... tasty!
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18147 upvotes
ONTARIO
Not really... There are things that people like because they are pleasing to the taste buds.
such as sweet or salty/savoury things.

Coffee, beer, and things of that sort seem to be enjoyed because of their practical uses. eg. gettng tispy to have a good time with friends, or waking up...

But some coffee's can be very good such as the highly flavoured lattes taht they serve at cafe style coffee places
Nov 15, 2004
371 posts
Tim Horton's coffee is only good when freshy brewed..sometimes they let it sit on the burner too long and that burnt taste really makes the coffee taste bad... :evil: but when brewed fresh..makes a great wake up call.. :lol:

Have any of you notice that they write a time on the coffee pots after they brew the coffee?
Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will stay awake just to watch you sleep.

Wait for the one who turns to his friends and says, " . . . that's her."
Nov 15, 2004
371 posts
kornstar369 wrote:really?

so how long are they suppost to keep it out for after its been brewed?

korn
I've read that freshly brewed coffee begins to lose its freshness within 20 minutes. Because coffee begins to deteriorate from the heat. Most brewing units will hold the coffee temperature between 155 and 175 degrees. Even at this temperature the coffee will start to become bitter in 20 to 30 minutes. This process likely occurs due to a chemical reaction -- the polymerization of phenols or pyruvic acid. However, freshness can be extended for up to 2 hours by keeping the freshly brewed coffee in a vacuum thermal bottle.

I wonder how many coffee shops actually know that coffee goes bad..the majority of them keep their coffee after being brewed on the burner which in that case, it'll go bad.

Bitter coffee tastes bad...Burnt coffee taste just as bad..but freshly brewed coffee (IMO Tim Hortons) is great! It's just too bad that they will serve you bad coffee.
Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will stay awake just to watch you sleep.

Wait for the one who turns to his friends and says, " . . . that's her."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)