Shopping Discussion

What's on everyones black friday shopping list?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 3:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1631 posts
712 upvotes
Hamilton

What's on everyones black friday shopping list?

Off topic threads seem to be full of political, negative and just overall depressing subjects. Let's talk about the real spirit of RFD, being cheap buggers Smiling Face With Open Mouth

What is everyone looking to get this year for black friday? I'm looking to hopefully pick up a new laptop and maybe build a new PC if parts are going for a reasonable price. I booked the day off because why not lol.
21 replies
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
I just built a new desktop, and we've already gotten a lot of our winter shopping done with, so.. likely won't be things that are terribly expensive.

I think we're looking for a decent 2-4 bay NAS for LAN video streams, music streams, security cam feeds, no transcoding required.

In my case I'm always looking for discounts on footy (soccer) and football (NFL) gear that's discounted in Canada (particularly Bayern, Dortmund, DFB, USA, and Canada footy gear, or 49ers NFL gear).. these tend to be marked up in price.

Since wife is pregnant again likely will be looking for more baby stuff that doesn't get swiped up by friends/fam/coworkers on the registry.

Will be watching interest rates (i.e. to see if the raising continues) and deals to see if I should start dedicating more to savings/investments.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1631 posts
712 upvotes
Hamilton
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:03 am
I just built a new desktop, and we've already gotten a lot of our winter shopping done with, so.. likely won't be things that are terribly expensive.

I think we're looking for a decent 2-4 bay NAS for LAN video streams, music streams, security cam feeds, no transcoding required.

In my case I'm always looking for discounts on footy (soccer) and football (NFL) gear that's discounted in Canada (particularly Bayern, Dortmund, DFB, USA, and Canada footy gear, or 49ers NFL gear).. these tend to be marked up in price.

Since wife is pregnant again likely will be looking for more baby stuff that doesn't get swiped up by friends/fam/coworkers on the registry.

Will be watching interest rates (i.e. to see if the raising continues) and deals to see if I should start dedicating more to savings/investments.
What did you build? I'm looking at upgrading from a 4770k to an 8700k. Not so much for the CPU but I want to get NVMe and a new graphics card (prob 1080 ti). The 4770k is still a powerful CPU so the cheapskate in me is saying to wait, but I've got the upgrade itch.
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:16 am
What did you build? I'm looking at upgrading from a 4770k to an 8700k. Not so much for the CPU but I want to get NVMe and a new graphics card (prob 1080 ti). The 4770k is still a powerful CPU so the cheapskate in me is saying to wait, but I've got the upgrade itch.
Taking a glance at the MemEx e-mailed receipt..
7700k CPU
MSI z270 gaming pro carbon
2x16gb Corsair Vengeance lpx ddr3 2133
MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8GB OC
Samsung 960 EVO 256gb m2 2280 NVMe ssd
WD Black 7200rpm 2TB SATA6 mechanical HDD
CM Storm Stryker case (3 front fans, 2 bottom, 2 back, 2 back top, plus built in filters), don't need liquid cooling in Calgary, airflow is more than enough, case is too roomy I find
EVGA 650W GQ 80 Gold PSU
Windows 10 Pro

There was a much smaller Silverstone Primera case I wanted for the same reasons as the CM case, but I couldn't find them retail and any shipping would take 2 weeks which I didn't have time for, and MemEx couldn't order more stock as Silverstone only shipped to them in skids of 20+. Doing a shipment of 1 would cost like $500+ in shipping, customs, etc so I just settled in that case. Price matched all but the CPU and GPU, which at the time was the cheapest.
Aug 16, 2017
163 posts
14 upvotes
im looking to buy a 40 to 50 inch 4k HDR smart tv.

any suggestions on where to get on black friday?
Apr 1, 2015
159 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
keeping an eye on laptops in the <~450$ range. i have a hp pavillion 2500 that i'm looking to finally upgrade. the damn thing just refuses to stop working
Feb 13, 2017
125 posts
13 upvotes
Looking to build a new NAS.

Hoping the Dell PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server with Xeon 1225v5 CPU goes onsale again for $300 to $330 US. Then add 2-3 8TB WD reds and GTG
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16380 posts
4996 upvotes
Ottawa
Home Automation...this shit is addictive and I'm getting lazier!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2116 posts
1089 upvotes
We have no set items on our list this year (electronics & such). If we see something WE THINK WE NEED / WANT that is a good buy we will purchase on impulse

We will probably head over the border for US Thanksgiving "the real Black Friday Weekend" for a day or two getaway, and to check out the stores. More often than not we come home with Winter Clothes & maybe something for holiday entertaining (be it a small kitchen appliance or a tablecloth).

For the most part we go with an open mind, and buy if we find something we like / want at a bargain price (like way cheaper than Canada)

Lol, ya I know... Totally out of sync for how we normally shop as planners / list addicted. This is most definitely our exception to the rule compared to the rest of the year
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3336 posts
716 upvotes
Mississauga
If the LG B7 OLED 65" comes to $2500 I'm in. Any chance of that happening? I want to buy by January so what will be the lowest this model will hit?

I work in a USA department so I usually get off early on Black Friday as it's dead/nothing to do at work that day.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Sep 25, 2017
41 posts
15 upvotes
winnipeg
ar2020 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:14 pm
If the LG B7 OLED 65" comes to $2500 I'm in. Any chance of that happening? I want to buy by January so what will be the lowest this model will hit?

I work in a USA department so I usually get off early on Black Friday as it's dead/nothing to do at work that day.
Also waiting for this. Don't know what the odds of it are since it would be a huge drop compared to the 3999 or so they go for currently. It's a bit of a premium product tbh so i don't see them slashing prices heavily on them like they would on the loss leader cheaper LCDs. but one can hope.

Either the OLED at ~2500, or a good 75" at less than 2k.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2973 posts
288 upvotes
A treadmill..my cheap Weslo died after 9 years!
Aug 29, 2011
70 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
Hoping the LG OLED 55 inch TV is $1,800 on Black Friday. I know it was priced at that during the CNE in August so it is possible.
Would just like to get it at a reputable store like Costco for that price. Easy return if any issues. Currently $2,500.
The Duke
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3336 posts
716 upvotes
Mississauga
flamez1000 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:32 pm
A treadmill..my cheap Weslo died after 9 years!
I will sell you my lightly used Horizon...
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.