Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 23, 2013
800 posts
211 upvotes
Scarborough

What's a good Beginner DSLR Camera?

I've been in the market looking for a good DSLR. By no means am I an photographer, but was looking to get a camera to just take pictures.

There are so much Camera's out there and don't know what to choose from.

I was looking into the Canon DSLR's as I enjoy the products that Canon pushes out. Don't know which Canon DSLR to choose from.

I was looking to keep my Budget around $600-700. Is that more than enough?

Thanks, Bleachway.
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5297 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I saw some T4i kits at Staples for $400ish, and you can use that left over money to buy a good prime lens.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Oct 6, 2005
202 posts
81 upvotes
Montreal
aeba7 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2015 6:38 pm
I saw some T4i kits at Staples for $400ish, and you can use that left over money to buy a good prime lens.
+1, ive bought the Canon T3 back then for 350$ish, and I still use it to this date, and it probably the best investment camera-wise I made.

Easy to use, good quality, a lot of options/lens/parts/accessories.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10479 posts
4760 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If Canon is where you want to go, T4i is functionally identical to T5i except for some minor physical differences:
(note a T5 is not as good as a T4i)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder ... nFlag=true (if buying used, take someone that knows dslr's)

+

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yongnuo-YN568EX- ... 5d402b213d (you'll want TTL and HSS - I can elaborate more if you like)

+

http://www.photogear.com/p-333106-a1229 ... -headblack (for landscape, low shutter speeds, group selfies - use 10s timer)

Beginner portraits (future/optional):

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/05790/ ... price.html (bigger aperture f/1.8 compared to smaller aperture kit lens, however, constant focal, no zoom)

*The most important is mastering your gear, learning composition and light, no point buying a dslr if it's kept in Auto. If so, buy the RFD often recommended Sony RX100iii, pocketable and much lighter than a dslr bag of gear, means you'll carry it everywhere. Image quality close to a dslr, which is amazing for a small point and shoot.

Aperture priority is probably the most common mode setting outside Auto, unless shooting action, you'll want Shutter or Manual.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2013
800 posts
211 upvotes
Scarborough
Appreciate the input. I'll look into the T4I.
aeba7 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2015 6:38 pm
Also what are some lens I should look into purchasing?

@AncasterRFD, Do you mind explaining the TTL & HSS?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5297 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I would hold off on buying lenses until youre comfortable with the one that comes with your camera.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10479 posts
4760 upvotes
Southern Ontario
aeba7 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2015 11:58 pm
I would hold off on buying lenses until youre comfortable with the one that comes with your camera.
+1

It shouldn't take long though if you practice consistently for a month or two... note Canon crop lenses "EF-S mount" will not work on a full frame Canon (eg: T4i, 7D are crop frame; 6D, 5DmkIII, 5DS are full frame), and other brands of course. However,"EF mount" lenses will work on Canon full frame AND crop frame but they cost more. Anything for full frame is generally more expensive, if you plan going FF in the future, you might want to buy EF lenses.

Possible future lenses for a T4i?...

Landscape/wide-angle = Canon EFS 10-22mm STM
Budget specialized portrait = Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
Distance sport/bird = Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS (non-IS is ok if using a tripod and fast shutter speeds, mainly outside)

^ you can research 3rd party versions of the above that are often cheaper, sometimes a better value, sometimes not due to various reasons.
Jul 12, 2010
401 posts
60 upvotes
I would say depends what you expect to do with your camera. If you plan on actually dive deeper into photography and expand your lens collection yeah a Canon DSLR is great to start with. Alot of used lenses and a huge selection. T4I is good budget / a tad higher than the lowest entry lvl that is a good starting point for ppl that plan to shoot like in manual or AV modes cuz they learning about photography so alot of room to grow. I'd suggest maybe forking for the T6i if you are serious I heard the IQ and features are quite nice if you can find it on sale. Maybe look for the 18-135mm, I started with it and I liked it alot for an all around lens to use / learn from before diving into buying specialty lenses.

You'll figure out if you want wide / macro/ telephoto/ mid tele.

If you just plan to shoot like a noob (stay in Auto mode) but want nice quality pics yeah a cheap T3-T5 will do great for you.

If you plan to do alot of travel and don't plan on doing alot of lens changes then maybe a portable A6000 is the way to go. Get the stock to 55mm + the 210mm one so you had a wide range to play with. Easy to carry and you'll want to bring it around with you unlike the bulky DSLR + mad lenses.
Jan 21, 2018
3 posts
You should buy a cheaper DSLR like a used T3i or T4i or D3300/D3400 and use the rest of your budget on a spare lens. Buying a $700 camera with a kit lens will only get you so far versus buying a lower-price model and investing in a lens. The only downside is you'll probably have to go for used at this price-point, but you definitely can find a T3i for like $200 on eBay and have $500 for a decent used lens.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10479 posts
4760 upvotes
Southern Ontario
bunkerking65 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 4:48 pm
You should buy a cheaper DSLR like a used T3i or T4i or D3300/D3400 and use the rest of your budget on a spare lens. Buying a $700 camera with a kit lens will only get you so far versus buying a lower-price model and investing in a lens. The only downside is you'll probably have to go for used at this price-point, but you definitely can find a T3i for like $200 on eBay and have $500 for a decent used lens.
Necrobump, OP is probably a pro now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6636 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 7:28 pm
Necrobump, OP is probably a pro now.
I thought I was in a time-warp until I looked at the dates of the posts Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3364 posts
707 upvotes
Toronto
I'm actually interested to see what OP @Bleachway ended up getting. We often have these threads just die on the vine without the OP coming back to tell us what they ended up with and why...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Aug 1, 2010
823 posts
395 upvotes
Montreal
M1GOmigs wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 12:38 pm
I'm actually interested to see what OP @Bleachway ended up getting. We often have these threads just die on the vine without the OP coming back to tell us what they ended up with and why...
Still waiting to see someone being advised to buy a T2i, comes back to say: I bought a Hasselblad H6D-100c, the vendor said it was a better camera
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6636 posts
541 upvotes
Toronto
The best camera is the one you always carry around with you - so that you never miss a shot :)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3364 posts
707 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 2:51 pm
Still waiting to see someone being advised to buy a T2i, comes back to say: I bought a Hasselblad H6D-100c, the vendor said it was a better camera
Either that, or after some lengthy deliberation and a lot of discussions on threads, they end up just shooting on their iPhone or Pixel...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE