• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2018 12:47 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 16, 2006
840 posts
148 upvotes
Pickering
You can get a Canon T6 for $499 pretty much anywhere with an 18-55mm EF-S non IS non STM (image stabilization/stepping motor) lens.

I picked one up recently and have also got a 55-250mm EF-S IS STM lens as well as a 50mm. Photography is fun. The T6 is a decent camera. It's not as good as the T5i or the T6i or the new T7i.

Actually here's a great deal on a T6 with an IS kit lens. Very nice. Henry's is a good store. They're all over the GTA.

https://www.henrys.com/93526-CANON-EOS- ... IS-II.aspx

Here are some T6 sample images that I shot myself. Still learning. It's a fun camera and great for a beginner.

If you will mostly be taking pictures of people and you want them to pop and have nice background blur, pick up the $180 50mm F1.8 Canon lens with your T6. It's great. Buy an extra battery. You'll appreciate having it.

Also keep in mind that your camera is sensitive equipment and read up on proper handling and cleaning procedures. There are lots of things I didn't know like that you should point the camera at the ground when you swap lenses to prevent dust from getting inside the camera.
1u2EXeu.jpg
2iDyN4n.jpg
IMG_3144.jpg
k3Cb3qh.jpg
Txuka3i.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3808 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 3:32 pm
Also keep in mind that your camera is sensitive equipment and read up on proper handling and cleaning procedures. There are lots of things I didn't know like that you should point the camera at the ground when you swap lenses to prevent dust from getting inside the camera.
Or having to carry a pocket blower around if you have a mirrorless due to the lack of a mirror that helps to control dust out of the sensor....

#LearningPains
Banned
May 6, 2018
16 posts
8 upvotes
I have an old Nikon D40 and picked up a second hand Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, it's more than enough I think.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2295 posts
881 upvotes
GTA
Valinsarc wrote:
May 7th, 2018 6:46 am
I have an old Nikon D40 and picked up a second hand Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, it's more than enough I think.
I think you are right. I currently have a modern DSLR with a 24MP sensor that can shoot many frames a second, etc. etc. All nice and fun to have and play with but not necessary. My first DSLR was a Nikon D70s - it took some great pictures and it was just 6.1 MP and didn't have near the bells and whistles available today. For those of us that enjoy photography as a hobby, part of the fun is getting the most out of what you have and the challenge of taking pictures that make us (and our friends and families) smile.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Oct 29, 2015
120 posts
25 upvotes
I'm looking to do some videography as well and the t6 was not recommend due to lack of audio input (is this true?)

I've found a t3i with 15-55 and 55-250 lens for $400. Is that a good value?
Jun 2, 2017
138 posts
22 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
DecayHeat wrote:
May 15th, 2018 8:26 am
I'm looking to do some videography as well and the t6 was not recommend due to lack of audio input (is this true?)

I've found a t3i with 15-55 and 55-250 lens for $400. Is that a good value?
That's pretty decent price for a used one with two lenses.
Be sure to get some Rode mic or similar to have stellar audio recording.
Photography hobbyist turned Audio/Video nut turned IT guy turned Dad turned CryptoMiner
May 1, 2016
32 posts
9 upvotes
I am also looking to get A DSLR for normal photography, not pro, just regular. IS Canon T6 18-55 DC III Kit around $400 is good or Canon T6 18-55 IS II for around $500 . I can spend upto 600-700 but not finding any other with good review. T7 or Nikon 5600 are coming near to 1K which is more than I want to spend. If anyone can help me decide here
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10796 posts
5027 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you must go Canon, I see a used T4i and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for $250 each, or close to those prices, superior to a T6+kit lens. If in the future it’s not for you, sell it at no loss.

What do you love or plan to shoot?
May 1, 2016
32 posts
9 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
May 15th, 2018 7:58 pm
If you must go Canon, I see a used T4i and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for $250 each, or close to those prices, superior to a T6+kit lens. If in the future it’s not for you, sell it at no loss.

What do you love or plan to shoot?
Thanks for reply, I will be using it mostly for trips, we heading to Banff this long weekend, so I want something better than my Samsung S8, A lot of people also suggesting me to get a mirror-less one. I really don't know. I am not very good at Photography. So looking for something normal use.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10796 posts
5027 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I’d use that Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for portraits and 10-18 STM for landscapes (again if Canon APSC).

That’s kinda short notice to learn your gear and photography in general. I don’t expect you to do even a 1/4 of what he does here but just an idea how shots like this are accomplished, much more than a good camera involved like timing, filters, camera settings, editing...

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3893 posts
420 upvotes
i'd love to hear why those looking to get their feet wet think they have to go only Canon DSLRs
great or even best due to entry price and availability...but by no means the only real solid option on the market
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

May 1, 2016
32 posts
9 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
May 16th, 2018 11:28 am
i'd love to hear why those looking to get their feet wet think they have to go only Canon DSLRs
great or even best due to entry price and availability...but by no means the only real solid option on the market
Well, this was what suggested by : couple of RED members, my friends, salesperson and its also coming in my budget, easy to find deals, like I said Canon T6 18-55 DC III Kit around $400 (after tax). I would love hear other good options, even mirror less. As my main objective is not any professional class photography but to enable me to capture some good quality memories while travelling around occasionally.
May 5, 2010
970 posts
278 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
May 16th, 2018 11:28 am
I believe it's simply due to brand recognition. 10 years ago, Canon was the top 1 brand for cameras and they have being the top 1 since around 1980. If I didn't know camera at all, I'll be checking Canon and Nikon's DSLR first too, simply by reputation.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3893 posts
420 upvotes
and canon still #1 in market share

I just find it puzzling that a would-be beginner says they're no photographer, just want a camera for taking pictures, with so many cameras to choose from they're overwhelmed but that they like Canon products? I guess if they're familiar with Canon printers/photocopiers that post makes sense but it just strikes me as weird... Yes i'm aware OP created the thread 3 years ago
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8718 posts
2998 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
twitchyzero wrote:
May 17th, 2018 1:44 am
and canon still #1 in market share

I just find it puzzling that a would-be beginner says they're no photographer, just want a camera for taking pictures, with so many cameras to choose from they're overwhelmed but that they like Canon products? I guess if they're familiar with Canon printers/photocopiers that post makes sense but it just strikes me as weird... Yes i'm aware OP created the thread 3 years ago
After working in retail selling the stuff for over a decade in a previous life, the number #1 reason why someone who knows little or nothing about the subject matter is because they asked someone they know and that's what they recommended. Typically, that someone knows a bit less about the subject than the person looking for a camera but that doesn't matter one bit...