Request-A-Deal

What's a good cheap mic for recording accoustic instruments?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 2:14 am
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
79 posts
4 upvotes

What's a good cheap mic for recording accoustic instruments?

And where can I get them?

My local music stores told me the minimum I have to spend for an acceptable mic will cost me at least 100 bucks, but here's where I have a problem you see? My crappy music instrument only cost me 100 bucks, why would I spend another 100 bucks just to record it lol.

So far I tried to use my phone and my gaming headset to record the audio, and obviously they could not capture the full spectrum of acoustic instruments very well because they were optimized for speech.

If you have any suggestions, I am all ears.
6 replies
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
79 posts
4 upvotes
Fraser River Rat wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 1:03 am
Hi,

I wouldn't get a $100 microphone to use on my phone either. Amazon has cheap uni-directional microphones. If your acoustic instrument is large enough, you can use stick-on or clip-on microphones.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0725WLJ27/ref ... 20acoustic
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh= ... 1512969996
Hmmm, I have looked around cheap condensers and eventually I reached BM800/NW800, but it seems it won't run without phantom power, which will cost another 20 bucks at least.

Thing is I cannot find many comparison of Xiaokoa with other low cost solutions, but there were some complaints about sensitivity and noise.

I am also thinking about clip-on mic solutions, but mounting is quite a problem without a good mounting rack. Tape is not gonna cut it I think because of the vibrations.

Thanks for looking into it.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
79 posts
4 upvotes
Ok, I have narrowed it down to just one more thing I need: a cheap audio interface. Should I just go with Craig's List on this one? The cheapest audio interface costs at least 45, and I don't know if rca provides enough power for xlr cables.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1774 posts
207 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

140+ views & only 1 reply. You realize this is a public forum, why so much secrecy on a public forum? At the beginning, you're looking for a cheap microphone that will record with the same audio quality as a cellphone. After googling "NW800"(more secrecy), I find out that you're actually looking for a cheap studio quality microphone. If you had asked for all of this in the beginning, you would have gotten a lot more replies. Check this out on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/Professional-Cond ... JVSDY4HRCZ
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
79 posts
4 upvotes
Watching several video reviews, they seem to place SF 666, the one you linked, to be around the same quality of BM 800. The problem with these condenser mics is that they need external power, and the USB adapter that comes with the mic is substandard and breaks easily. So if you buy the cheap condenser mics, it's 20 bucks on ebay and 30 bucks on Amazon. And phantom power cost another 20 bucks on ebay or 25 bucks on Amazon. So total around 45 ~ 60 bucks.

In that case, just going to London Drugs and grab a Blue Snowball Ice USB mic for 55 bucks might be a better idea since the cost will end up around the same, and the quality is pretty good right out of the box and you can start using it right away, just need a pop filter that's all.

Another mic that I found to be pretty decent are Samson Go USB mics, it's also around 50 bucks on Amazon, but it's much more compact and easier to pose due to the adjustable stand that comes with it, and also has settings for uni-directional and omni-directional settings, so it's very versatile.

I am still searching for the ideal mic, but Samson Go is really close, I might just order one tonight.