None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18609 posts
326 upvotes
YYZ

What's a good chinese cook book?

Mom is running out of descent food to cook so I thought maybe getting a cook book will help address that issue. Thx
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18609 posts
326 upvotes
YYZ
trini wrote:Martin Yan!
Is that the name of the author who writes the book?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1153 posts
2 upvotes
OMG! You obviously don't know who Martin Yan is :) Don't you remember the sweet cooking show back in the 80's called "Wok with Yan"? It was the best dam cooking show ever. I mean what other show does the host wear a new apron every week with a new "Wok" quote on :)

His new show is awesome too, I watch it often. And yea to answer your question, his old book was written by him. Just do a search on chapters or amazon and I'm sure you'll find something.
They call me Monster.
Mar 18, 2002
409 posts
13 upvotes
Bortman wrote:OMG! You obviously don't know who Martin Yan is :) Don't you remember the sweet cooking show back in the 80's called "Wok with Yan"? It was the best dam cooking show ever. I mean what other show does the host wear a new apron every week with a new "Wok" quote on :)

His new show is awesome too, I watch it often. And yea to answer your question, his old book was written by him. Just do a search on chapters or amazon and I'm sure you'll find something.
You're talking about two different people! Everyone seems to confuse MARTIN YAN and STEPHEN YAN.

STEPHEN Yan hosted "Wok with Yan" on CBC in the 80's. You can watch it on OMNI2 at noon every weekday. He's the one with the crazy aprons with wok puns on them.

MARTIN Yan hosts "Yan Can Cook", "Martin Yan's Chinatowns", "Quick and Easy w/ Martin Yan", etc. He's the one you see on the Food Network.

As for cookbooks, I don't think you can find Stephen Yan cookbooks new. I've spotted a few spiral-bound cookbooks at garage sales. Try amazon or chapters for Martin Yan cookbooks.

People! Know your Yans and don't confuse the two!
Nov 26, 2003
57 posts
1 upvote
Most Books by Ken Hom are GREAT. Try the aptly-named "Chinese Cooking" for a simple introduction to ingrediants and a hundred or so "familiar" recipes.

For more exotic fare, check out his "Ken Hom Cooks Thai" or "Fragrant Harbour Taste" books. All should be available at Amazon or Chapters.

Ymmm.

Jer
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5935 posts
383 upvotes
BC
i have an old wok with yan cook book. it has nice simple recipes in it, i like it. which reminds me, it has one of my favorite zucchini, black bean sauce recipes.. i should try to find it.

the best thing to do is go to a book store and look at some books.. just by looking through the recipes you'll know if its any good or not. pictures is a must, i hate cook books without pictures!
That's my 2cents worth
Jul 16, 2003
179 posts
179 upvotes
I like Mrs Fong..however I think they are only in Chinese and I don't think they have English version
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1881 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Martin Yan is very...grating and pompous. He and Emeril once did a show together and he stole the spotlight and all the airtime. Emeril hardly got a word in and he was very pissed off.
May 10, 2003
22 posts
Toronto
I know some who worked on Martin Yan's last cooking show and said that he is one of the most genuinely nice and generous people they'd met.

As for cookbooks, Ken Hom and Martin Yan cookbooks are good. Also from Whitecap "The Food of China" is a good one as well. Its beautiful with lots of photographs, but I've enjoyed the recipes in the cookbook as well.

Wei Chuan cooking school in Taiwan also publishes cookbooks that you can purchase. They are written in chinese and english. I really like these cookbooks for nice authentic recipes. Added benefit is that if you aren't chinese and need certain ingredients, you can take your book to the grocery store and ask them to find you the item.. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6273 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Visit your local Chinese bookstore. There are tonnes. These usually come in a series covering different types. For example, you'll find a book dedicated to soups, another dedicated to stews, another dedicated to buns/rolls etc.