Food & Drink

What's a good sale price to buy meat in bulk?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 10:30 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2345 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto

What's a good sale price to buy meat in bulk?

So I'd like to buy meat in bulk when they're on sale for a good price. As this is RFD, I imagine a lot of people here do the same thing. I'm wondering what do you consider to be a good sale price for the various meats that'll make you buy in bulk and put them in the freezer?

Primarily I'm looking at boneless skinless chicken breast and lean ground beef. But I'm also interested in any kind of meat.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2071 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
You said it. Wait for a sale and stock up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2345 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 12:52 pm
You said it. Wait for a sale and stock up.
But I'm asking at what price, since a sale price can vary drastically. I haven't been looking at flyers for too long so I'm not entirely sure what is generally considered a really good deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3251 posts
238 upvotes
Calgary
crystallight wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 12:44 pm
So I'd like to buy meat in bulk when they're on sale for a good price. As this is RFD, I imagine a lot of people here do the same thing. I'm wondering what do you consider to be a good sale price for the various meats that'll make you buy in bulk and put them in the freezer?

Primarily I'm looking at boneless skinless chicken breast and lean ground beef. But I'm also interested in any kind of meat.
Boneless/Skinless chicken breast - The best deal I normally see is the 4Kg already frozen ones at Costco (~$35) or when they go on sale at Safeway (~$29). For Ground beef, It would be when it goes below $6Kg (lean). I also pick up pork shoulder for pulled pork as that can get as low as $3Kg and if you can find it already vacuum packed, then it's dead easy.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2491 posts
222 upvotes
Whitby
Around here we eat:

Beef: striploins & rib I stock up like crazy when they are sub $6 per pound. Lean ground beef $3 per pound gets my stock up alert going. Be careful with beef grading (look for AAA, Stirling Silver, Red Grill, or at the very least AA or higher in ad names). Be wary of upgraded cheap beef as you can sometimes find a gem, more often they will be tough.

Chicken: breasts bone in skin on I stock up sub $3, boneless skinless sub $4, thighs/legs sub $2, boneless thighs sub $4, whole chickens sub $1.50. Do not buy frozen boneless breasts, they are an abomination, preseasoned and have an off putting texture.

Pork: loin sub $2, bacon sub $3 (per 500g), tenderloin sub $3, butt/picnic shoulder sub $1.50, back ribs sub $3, side ribs sub $2.

There are other cuts we buy, these are our main purchases. These are my stock up and freeze prices, they are not always common prices as commodity prices fluctuate. I will also buy at prices slightly higher than these. I hope it helps!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3755 posts
1209 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Dr Butcher wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 8:12 am
Around here we eat:

Beef: striploins & rib I stock up like crazy when they are sub $6 per pound. Lean ground beef $3 per pound gets my stock up alert going. Be careful with beef grading (look for AAA, Stirling Silver, Red Grill, or at the very least AA or higher in ad names). Be wary of upgraded cheap beef as you can sometimes find a gem, more often they will be tough.

Chicken: breasts bone in skin on I stock up sub $3, boneless skinless sub $4, thighs/legs sub $2, boneless thighs sub $4, whole chickens sub $1.50. Do not buy frozen boneless breasts, they are an abomination, preseasoned and have an off putting texture.

Pork: loin sub $2, bacon sub $3 (per 500g), tenderloin sub $3, butt/picnic shoulder sub $1.50, back ribs sub $3, side ribs sub $2.

There are other cuts we buy, these are our main purchases. These are my stock up and freeze prices, they are not always common prices as commodity prices fluctuate. I will also buy at prices slightly higher than these. I hope it helps!
+1 you know your prices!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2345 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto
Dr Butcher wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 8:12 am
Around here we eat:

Thanks! 2 things:

Does beef always have the beef grading on the package? I've never looked for it so I've never noticed. I've never noticed it on ads either. For example, No Frills has lean ground beef on sale now for $2.88/lb but it makes no mention of the grade on its flyer.

In regards to frozen boneless chicken breasts, are they always an abomination? Can't they just be regular chicken breasts that have been frozen?
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2491 posts
222 upvotes
Whitby
Ground beef isn't graded, it goes by fat content from regular to medium to lean to extra lean. It's made from tougher, less desirable cuts and trimming scraps from other beef processing.

Pre-frozen boneless skinless breasts are usually treated with a salt solution then frozen making them pre-seasoned. It changes the texture of the meat when you cook it (think subway chicken patty/strip texture) it's like eating a damp sponge. It also limits your seasoning options because they are already salted.

Look at labels, some stores sell 'seasoned' pork loins as well. If you see an ingredient list on any cut (loins, breasts, etc) stay away. You will likely recognize pre-seasoned meat in the frozen meat bunker with a fluorescent price sticker on it 'only $10' etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5219 posts
638 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 1:57 pm
Rib eye steak goes on sale for as low as $5.99/lb. @ metro. I like to stock up on these for bbq. My fav cut of steak. Sometimes its AA, but sometimes you get lucky and its angus AAA @ that price!!! But lucky... i remember seeing it once.
Hey, I like rib eye too, but better than tenderloin? Come on....... You sure?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36492 posts
2436 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 4:38 pm
Hey, I like rib eye too, but better than tenderloin? Come on....... You sure?
Tenderloin is good and tender. hehe
But I like the flavor profile of rib eye that's created by the fat cap and bone.

Fight time!!!

sup bro
Image3

v.s.

Tenderloin steak

I like it too... But I just prefer the fat and taste from rib eye cuts.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5219 posts
638 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 4:43 pm
Tenderloin is good and tender. hehe
But I like the flavor profile of rib eye that's created by the fat cap and bone.

Fight time!!!

sup bro
Image3

v.s.

Tenderloin steak

I like it too... But I just prefer the fat and taste from rib eye cuts.
No fight from me, I love them both. Man, now my mouth is watering! I want a steak, too bad I am going to a Greek BBQ tonight.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5219 posts
638 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 6:27 pm
Get the lamb slouvaki if that makes you feel any better. Done medium.
Lol, I think I just go and they serve me whatever but lamb would be awesome!