PC & Video Games

whats with the huge price jump on PSN compared to it's US version ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 7:26 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2017
450 posts
289 upvotes

whats with the huge price jump on PSN compared to it's US version ?

was about to pre-order or just straight up purchase it this tuesday... would prefer the digital version over physical so thought it was on the canadian PSN and saw it was $39... went to pay and of course i'm on the US site... so it wants me to jump over and buy it there. and lo and behold it's $20 more in price difference....

oh sorry, the game i was interested in is called "generation zero". the reviews of it taken with a grain of salt sound good and it's something i know i would play for a while. but just irked that it's a huge jump between the two psn stores. yeah yeah, i know the whole currency thing blah blah..... but usually they are closer in price than $20, most of the time i see a $5 - $8 difference in the games i get, yes i know some AAA titles have a jump like this.

funny thing... the games on PS4 are supposed to be region free from what i read. well the majority of them at least... so why the varying differences in price ? why not just a us priced or canadian priced version of digital instead of each region having their own pricing.

meh... so this will obviously be a wait till a sale happens purchase now. unless it's a physical release as well and i can do the trade 3 at EB for some of the crap i don't want or never played.
no matter where you go, there you are.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7156 posts
1952 upvotes
As of 23/03/2019 $39.99 USD = 53.44 CAD which is the exact currency exchange rate.
That is only a 5 cent markup over the current U.S. dollar to Canadian dollar exchange rate.

PSN still does not charge taxes in Canada when they could.
Sony does not have a server located in Canada which is why they don't charge taxes on PSN Canada's storefront.

Steam, Microsoft, Nintendo, Epic, Ubisoft, and EA do charge sales tax on all digital sales on their stores.

The Canadian dollar is projected to drop to around the 65-70 cents USD range in the next two years due to a stagnant rate of
growth in the Canadian economy compared to the USA, oil prices dropping and because Canada produces low grade oil that
has less practical applications than the oil refined in Saudi Arabia and Texas.

Canada's dollar was only high temporarily because oil prices were at record highs for a couple years. Exporters realized the oil Canada produces is low
quality and it sells for a lot less than a barrel of oil produced elsewhere now in 2019.

[OP]
Sep 28, 2017
450 posts
289 upvotes
thanks, i am aware of the exchange rate as i do quite a bit of american ebay. my statement was more to the previous prices they had were more closer to the american prices regardless of the currency difference at the time... it was usually within $5-$7. but now i'm thinking that's their way of getting the taxes of sorts by inflating the canadian prices. i just looked up a game i bought not long ago... did the addition of sales tax and guess what, it's what the price is now for the same game... well just a few cents shy but still pretty much spot on.

i thought it was hardcore that sony was going to join the others and charge sales tax ? if not then i think they came up with a way to say they are not yet still get close to that by inflating the prices, even if it's to do it with certain games.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1148 posts
317 upvotes
I just re-activated my subscription to PSN with the $52 deal and was charged tax on it. I bought a couple of games less than 2 weeks ago on the playstation store and was also charged tax. I wonder if Sony is starting to charge tax now?